June 18th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese once said Janzen Jackson had the talent to become a very successful football player for Big Blue, but that he needed to overcome his off-field issues in order for that to happen. However, the stars never aligned for Jackson, and four months after signing with Big Blue as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2012, the one-time superstar prospect was released and his time in the NFL almost immediately came to an end.

Now, two years removed from his time with the Giants, Jackson finds himself wearing a new uniform — that of the Twin Towers correctional facility in Los Angeles, where he's been since September on charges of murder after allegedly strangling his Mother's boyfriend, Frank Herrera, before leaving the body to decompose in the trunk of a car for several days.

“[Frank] was the nicest guy on earth,” Hector Herrera said of his deceased brother. “How did this happen to someone like that?”

During a preliminary court hearing back in April, Jackson's Mother testified that her son had been suffering from an apparent mental issue in the weeks leading up to Herrera's death, and was often seen talking to himself and acting strangely. She eventually called county mental health workers to evaluate Jackson a month prior to the murder, but little was done and Jackson's potential issues were, ultimately, dismissed.

But prosecutors say that on September 11th, as Herrera was supposed to drive Jackson to his great-uncle’s house in the afternoon, things took an ugly turn and Jackson ended up strangling Herrera to death. They also submitted video surveillance footage that shows Jackson dragging a "large bundle" out of the apartment building the two were living in at the time.

While appearing in court last month, Jackson entered a "not guilty" plea and is currently being held on $1 million bail. His next court date is scheduled for July 15th.

Tags: Football, Janzen Jackson, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Related posts

9 Responses to “Ex-Giant Janzen Jackson Charged with Murder After Allegedly Strangling His Mother’s Boyfriend”

Mental issue aka drugs.

2.  skinnydoogan says:

Looks like we are about to once again be treated to Coughlin’s legendary stubbornness. Who wants to bet that Snee will be trotted out on the field over and over injuries or not? I wouldn’t even be surprised if Herzlich is forced out onto the field in place of Beason, despite better options. These two will be this years version of Dave Diehl.

Part of what’s been killing this team of late has been a complacent, entitled, satisfied attitude. They had too many veterans who were on the downside of their careers. Veterans who lacked the fire … lacked the commitment. They had done it all … many of them twice … and had nothing left to prove. We could probably list around 10 guys who punched out on the team for one reason or another. You simply can’t win with them. To their credit management recognized this and has been weeding them out. Kiwi is part of that group. And he’s not a bad fellow. A decent, B-level LB/DE rotational guy. But he’s burnt his last bridge now, and I fully expect him to be gone after this season. In fact a late cut this year would not surprise me.

I’ve been bashing Prince $nee for a while now. But I’m going to sit it out and see what happens in camp. If he’s gotten back to form then I’ll be happily mistaken. But no excuses please. Play … play well … or not. Simple as that.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Krow, your not mistaken.

•  rlhjr says:

Yeah, here we go. I backed off of Snee months ago simply because the dude performed well in his prime. I feel we all deserve a chance to prove what we can do.
        However, if we prove we can’t then we need to move on.

As far as Kiwi goes, I really want to know how many sacks he’s registered from the JOKER linebacker position. I don’t remember one. Not even a half a sack.
        He’s simply not the athlete to play such a dynamic position. And he never was. Damontre Moore however is. But (Mr. Magoo) Fewell will never figure that one out.

I do see all the dead weight departing. The only thing left to do is draft 3 truly dynamic football players for OT, DE and either Safety or (MIKE) linebacker.
        No matter the order taken, they have to be in the first three rounds.

This just in, there is such a thing as leadership capable players who are actually elite.
        Your front office has to be able to identify them, and pull the trigger on draft day.
        They can’t be afraid of kids with personality.

Exactly. But gotten back to form at this stage of his career is probably just a solid to good starter, not pro bowl level. The guys is sitting out mini camp not preseason games. Plus it’s probably better that Richberg and Mosley get more reps anyway. If Snee does go down like many fear at least these guys would have had some reps.

I agree. I don’t think Pro Bowl level is attainable. All I expect is that he put in the work and the preparation to play a full, solid season at OG. What I don’t want to see is another I/R paid vacation … or some variation of it. I want to be satisfied that he didn’t dog it for one last payday.

4.  Michael Cervellino says:

I’m not sure how I feel about Snee in the starting lineup. I think he’s had a wonderful career, but I also feel his body has had it. If it isn’t one thing that will cause him discomfort, it will be something else. A decade or so is a long time in this league, and it takes its toll. I’m not sure if he’s playing because he is infatuated with the game of football or trying to squeeze one last payday out of this so he and his family are set for life. In addition, the days of the 305 lb. guard are pretty much over. Teams prefer tackles with great movement skills, length, and lateral agility, while the guards are road grading mashers who can win in a “phone booth”. Playing Snee and a “bulked up” Pugh on the right side means you have 305 and 310 on the right side, very small by today’s standards. I’d almost like to see Mosley or a healthy John Jerry get a shot at RG. By the way, in reality, although Schwartz is very versatile, his best success has come at RG. We immediately moved him to LG upon signing him to accommodate Snee. I actually think the line isn’t too bad as it was configured in OTA’s, also assuming that Beatty supplants Brown.