The status of left tackle Will Beatty has been very much in question for the New York Giants since he suffered a fractured leg in the season finale against the Washington Redskins last year. But when asked about Beatty on Thursday, head coach Tom Coughlin offered some optimism, saying the team fully expects to have him back on or around the start of training camp, which will begin on July 21st.
“He seems like he’s making progress,” Coughlin said. “That is what we are hoping for. Right there [around the start of training camp] or shortly thereafter.”
With Beatty out, free agent addition Charles Brown has seen the majority of snaps at left tackle, but Beatty was on the field during Thursday's practice, helmet in hand doing some individual drills. And while that doesn't make him a full participant, it is a positive sign that he's returning to health and remains on schedule.
"[He's got to] get to the point where he can go. I think he does a lot of things, he’s building himself up and so that’s basically where he is. He’s doing all the rehab, but on paper he wasn’t scheduled to go until training camp," Coughlin added. "We started out, he was doing some of the jog-through stuff and actually did pretty well but a lot of that was on air."
Beatty, who signed a five-year, $37.5 million deal last offseason, not only needs to return to health, but also return to form. Prior to his injury in 2013, he was struggling mightily and blamed that on over-thinking as he attempted to live up to the deal he had been given.
The best case scenario for the Giants would to get a healthy Beatty back on the field playing at his 2012 level.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Giants’ Will Beatty ‘Ahead of Schedule’ from Broken Leg; Unsure of Timetable on Return
- Giants’ Eli Manning Likely Out Until Training Camp; Jerry Reese Expects Bounce-Back Year
- Jerry Reese Expecting David Wilson to Be Cleared for Training Camp; Couldn’t Pass on Andre Williams
- New York Giants’ John Jerry Undergoes Knee Surgery; Mario Manningham, Will Beatty Out Until Fall
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bzy