The New York Giants made an immediate call to free agent tight end Jermichael Finley following his medical clearance from a fusion of the C3-C4 vertebrates, and that interest remained until late last week. However, Paul Dottino of WFAN now reports the plug has been pulled and, like the Seattle Seahawks, Big Blue has removed themselves from the Finley sweepstakes.
finley shopping because giants no longer in play -- each team has own comfort level with injury risk....giants heavily lean to cautious side— GiantsWFAN (@giantswfan) June 4, 2014
Despite being medically cleared, it sounds like the Giants have been scared off by something they've seen — which likely means they've gotten their hands on Finley's medical records. It could also explain why teams like the Seahawks and New England Patriots have sniffed around and then backed away.
Even with the Giants, Patriots and Seahawks all dropping out of the chase, Finley is still drawing interest from the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers, although it now appears his best bet will be a return to the Green Bay Packers.
For the Giants, it means they'll be going into training camp with a healthy Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell, Kellen Davis, Xavier Grimble and Daniel Fells. And based on what they've seen from Robinson, Donnell and Grimble thus far in Organized Team Activities (OTAs), they've been given no real reason for major concern. All three have practiced well, with Robinson really flashing at times.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Jermichael Finley Says He’d Play for Giants If Ben McAdoo Came Calling; Loves Playing for Him
- Tight End Jermichael Finley Medically Cleared; New York Giants Have Already Reached Out
- Seattle Seahawks Pass on Jermichael Finley; New York Giants Reportedly Remain Interested
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bq8