New York Giants “No Longer in Play” for Tight End Jermichael Finley: Report

June 5th, 2014 at 10:00 AM

The New York Giants made an immediate call to free agent tight end Jermichael Finley following his medical clearance from a fusion of the C3-C4 vertebrates, and that interest remained until late last week. However, Paul Dottino of WFAN now reports the plug has been pulled and, like the Seattle Seahawks, Big Blue has removed themselves from the Finley sweepstakes.

Despite being medically cleared, it sounds like the Giants have been scared off by something they've seen — which likely means they've gotten their hands on Finley's medical records. It could also explain why teams like the Seahawks and New England Patriots have sniffed around and then backed away.

Even with the Giants, Patriots and Seahawks all dropping out of the chase, Finley is still drawing interest from the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers, although it now appears his best bet will be a return to the Green Bay Packers.

For the Giants, it means they'll be going into training camp with a healthy Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell, Kellen Davis, Xavier Grimble and Daniel Fells. And based on what they've seen from Robinson, Donnell and Grimble thus far in Organized Team Activities (OTAs), they've been given no real reason for major concern. All three have practiced well, with Robinson really flashing at times.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Daniel Fells, Football, Jermichael Finley, Kellen Davis, Larry Donnell, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Xavier Grimble

Related posts

13 Responses to “New York Giants “No Longer in Play” for Tight End Jermichael Finley: Report”

It doesn’t make sense that the Niners gave Kaepernick that contract now, rather than wait a year, unless they know that the cap is going to substantially expand over the next few years. The huge TV deal kicks in next year and 2016 and I’m sure the NFLPA has already warned Goodell that if they try to keep moving the cap up in single-digit percentage increments when the gross revenues expand dramatically, there will be trouble. If, for a moment, we assume that the cap goes to, let’s say, $155-160MM by 2016, then it becomes a LOT easier to pay your quarterback $15-20MM and still put together a strong team. Look at it this way: you’d be paying the most important player on the team just about the incremental growth of the cap from today’s date and STILL have the entire current cap available for the other 52 players on the roster. Something’s up. I think the owners know that the cap is going to expand pretty dramatically thanks to the new media deal.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I wanted to chime in here and eat crow. I went to bat for Hill endlessly. I truly believe he was trying to do right. I was mistaken. I was very, very mistaken.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Me too! I was all for backing him up an thought the Giants should have given him another chance, Not now, no way!!

Can you provide some more insight to why you believed you were fooled about Hill? That seems to be more than just the rental story.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Just grapevine stuff. Talking to people in and around the team, some associates of associates of Hill’s. I had the same belief he was trying hard that Deon Grant had. Apparently the kid put more effort into appearances than actually getting better.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Doing weed is one thing, Trashing peoples property is straight out thug mentality!!

You and me brother, you and me. What a dirtbag. Glad he’s gone.

I’m glad they moved on from Finley. I really never liked the idea and only would have signed him at veteran minimum, which he probably wasn’t going to take anyway.

Save the money and invest it next year when the Giants could be scary-good.

Stunned . . .

Repost:

The thing with McBride to me is you just can’t forget the rest of his career. At this time last year few thought Mcbride would make the final roster. Not only did he make the roster but he played well and was a significant contributor.

1) So was it just McBride finally reaching his athletic peak?
    2) The lack of quality CBs on the roster?
    3) An outlier of a year and he will regress back to his norm?

While many go with #1 I more lean to #2 & #3. If McBride plays like he did last year he will be on the roster. But if doesn’t play quite as well his spot is open. Bowman before last year was considered by most a better player and a better special teams player. But saying all of that I wouldn’t rule out keeping 6 CBs. There are valid reasons to keep both McBide and Bowman plus we are not a team that cut even it’s lower round draft choices. When is the last time a 6 rounder or higher didn’t make our initial 53 man roster? Maybe McCants but he was the type of horrible in preseason that forces it. Now JAckson has to show something but if be plays to the level of James last year at CB then he makes the roster because he was drafted.

Even if the cap goes up the 49ers just made a move they didn’t have to make yet. And if he was going to sign now they should have got a more favorable deal. Flacco bet on himself but the deal he was originally offered before the SB was nothing like the one he ended up with.

Niners are making a bet. If Kaepernick has a good season (better than he’s had in the past) and the cap goes up substantially (that it will is my premise and I think that’s going to prove correct) then tying him up at those numbers will look pretty good once you look beyond the guaranteed money (which is only the owner’s issue, not that of the coaches and fans).

If the team keeps Jackson on the roster it will be because: a) He has looked pretty promising in the preseason; and b) because he may be the “hybrid” that some thought TT could be but never became, a player who could shift between cornerback and safety and thus provide a lot of flexibility on the depth chart. Personally, I’d be a bit reluctant to see Bowman waived because he’s a monster on special teams and always has been. But the way the NFL works it is VERY hard to convince coaches for whom a player has performed well, and who is not in physical decline, to replace him with someone else unless that player CLEARLY is better. Bowman has never managed to create a starting position for himself in Chicago despite being given plenty of chances. I just don’t expect him to outplay McBride enough to take away Fewell’s and the other coaches’ lean toward the guy they know better and trust.

And then there’s poor Charles James, who probably deserves to play in this league and can help someone. He may be much more of a playmaker than either of the more veteran competitors, but now he’s caught between a rookie they wanted and two veterans with pretty decent resumes. The odds against his making the roster are long, but don’t be surprised if he’s very impressive throughout camp. I think he may be a good one.

Very happy. I want to see our young guys play. When a vet is around especially with our coach they will lean towards the vet. Let’s see what Robinson and company can do. This also applies to other positions, if no injuries I don’t think any vet should be added. I’m not saying our roster depth is perfect but let’s see what Taylor and Behre can do before rushing to a vet. Let’s see if a young WR emerges before adding a vet. I don’t mind adding a young play who hasn’t established himself yet but I’m against adding a player like Finley who if added would be the presumed starter.

Sometimes a young player needs opportunity more than competition. I remember the quotes from JPP about Tuck possibly leaving. I think one of the underplayed reasons we let Tuck go is so the DE group became JPP’s group. Even if the better player JPP was held back leadership and sometimes play wise with Tuck around because he deferred to Tuck. I think if Robinson and company are going to succeed this is the best set up. The responsibility of knowing you’re the guy is needed for some players to develop.

6.  BillyS says:

I was never really a fan of Finley for this team. The money isn’t what scared me away. I’m sure he’d have wanted much more than the vet minimum, but nothing astronomical. The injury didn’t even scare me. What scared me is the mental aspect. He sustained a scary injury. It wasn’t like getting hit in the knee. This was an injury that could have put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. I just feel that when guys get hurt like that they’ll shy away from any sort of hit. Let’s not forget that Eli does seem to throw a bit high to his TEs, and they usually get smacked around a bit (i.e. Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard, etc). I just feel that Finley will have stone hands because he’ll be thinking of a hit he’s about to get put on him. I think physically/athletically he’d have been a great fit, but those are only 2 sides of the pyramid. Better safe than sorry. It’s pointless to spend money for the sake of spending it when there’s a salary cap and eventually every penny counts.