May 29th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

As day two of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) got underway for the New York Giants, health continued to be the focal point. And one day after both quarterback Eli Manning (ankle) and running back David Wilson (neck) returned to the field, guard Chris Snee (hip) and safety Stevie Brown (knee) participated without limitations.

Although all drills have been non-contact, it's still a positive sign to see so many Giants practicing sans concerns. And given the issues Big Blue faced along the offensive line in 2013, it's especially a positive to see a fully healthy Chris Snee for a change. However, the real bonus may just be Stevie Brown, who was other-worldly during a breakout year in 2012. If he can return to the Giants at full strength for the 2014 season, it would be like icing on the cake for a vastly improved secondary.

It's also worth noting that Brown took first-teams reps with Antrel Rolle, but did appear to be splitting time with safety Will Hill, who also practiced for the second consecutive day. Meanwhile, free agent addition, Quintin Demps, took reps with the second-team.

Back on the offensive side of the ball, both left tackle Will Beatty and guard Eric Herman were also on the field, but, at least in the case of Beatty, much of the time was spent watching.

Other Notes:

• Day two kicked off with return drills (punt machine), which featured David Wilson, Walter Thurmond III, Trindon Holliday and Victor Cruz.
  • The offense worked on several screen drills (including a tight end screen to Adrien Robinson), but on one particularly poor throw, Manning was nearly intercepted by linebacker Jon Beason.
  • Odell Beckham Jr., Andre Williams and other rookies did not practice on Thursday as they were attending the NFLPA Rookie Symposium on the West Coast.
  • Linebacker Dan Fox, coming off an impressive day one, saw reps with the defensive second-team.
  • On offense, all four QBs practiced a lot of three-step drops. Early on, it looks like the Giants will have a strike fast approach, although they did have one delay of game penalty already. Tom Coughlin said he still wants them to move "faster."
  • Ryan Nassib had more reps than Curtis Painter and Josh Freeman combined.
  • Cornerback Charles James stole the show on Thursday with a leaping interception in from of WR Rueben Randle (off of Ryan Nassib) that was returned for a touchdown.
  • Offensive lineman John Jerry sat out following knee surgery (more on this later).

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Antrel Rolle, Chris Snee, David Wilson, Eli Manning, Eric Herman, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Quintin Demps, Stevie Brown, Victor Cruz, Will Beatty, Will Hill

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Stevie Brown, Chris Snee Practice Without Limitations & More from Day 2 of OTAs”

I think Charles James, Nat Behre, and Jay Bromley are all young guys who are going to fight tooth-and-nail for roles on this team. Bromley is going to be on the roster but no one is going to assure the other two of that. I just love the way they play football. Take no prisoners and prove the doubters wrong. James may be a long shot but I think the competitors for that last spot on the depth chart at cornerback will have to kill him twice to get rid of him as competition.

I like a lot James too. I thought he should have made the initial 53 last year. But he has a steep battle to our 53 this year and because of our injuries last year I don’t think he’s PS eligible either. I really like the kid and I think he should be in the mix as a PR too.

Repost:

Jerry is out with a knee scope until training camp. I was wondering why he wasn’t on the second team. So only Beatty, Manningham and Jerry are out of OTAs and all are expected to be ready for training camp. That’s a real positive. And like F55 says if we have Hill and Wilson this team really looks like it could surprise.

LB and DT are two interesting spots to watch. at LB you have to wonder if the combination of Kinnard and the 2 undrafted rookies can knock Herzlich off the roster. Then how many LBs do we keep? Last year we only kept 5. At DT We have roster locks in Jenkins, Hankins and Bromley. Patterson looks to be fairly close to a lock but what if Kuhn plays well enough to beat out Patterson for the 3rd DT? As a 4th DT I see Patterson having trouble being kept over Quarles of depth at another position. Kuhn roster spot is in major question because if he’s the 4th DT he’s going to have to prove more valuable than the upside of Quarles. Then do we even keep 5 DTs?

CB is a blood bath. We have at least 7 roster quality players but only 5-6 spots. I think Bowman and McBride are in a lot of trouble. As a 4-5 backup CB you prefer a young guy with upside over a JAG player. McBride has to keep up his play form last year and the young guys have to look young.

OL wise I expect our 9 to be Beatty, Swartz, Walton, Snee, Pugh, Richberg, Jerry, Mosley and Brown. Brewer has a chance especially with Jerry out to shine. I don’t think Brewer is a LT but proving he can play RT could help him make the roster. Jerry and Brown though seemingly solid vet depth could also be knocked off the roster by guys like Brewer and Herman emerging.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

JPP said he’s finally 100% and gives himself a “clean bill of health”.

Wilson also said he’s “pain free” and ready to roll.

So, let it be known that starting this season there should be ZERO excuses for either one of these guys. May we finally see what these guys can do when so called “healthy”.

Me, i hate to be skeptical about JPP and Wilson, but I have my doubts on both of them. Hopefully, i am dead wrong.

With JPP your stance is fair. With Wilson he still hasn’t been cleared for contact or had any contact. His injury is different. Kiwi was fine after a similar scare a few years but Wilson still hasn’t cleared enough huddles yet for it to be just about football. I’m hopeful though.

4.  rlhjr says:

I would gladly partake in a large slice of humble pie if Brewer turns out to be a left tackle. And if he even displays the talent to actually make contact with the man he’s assigned to block.

He whiffed more than I did in my first year of single A ball. He looked slow and awkward playing guard.

I think he’s there because the staff wants to know once and for all what he has.
    Brown was by all accounts a complete disaster at left tackle for the Saints.
    If Brewer were to develop a mean streak and utilize his size I think he’d be an ideal right tackle. So absent a nasty attitude and agility he is what he was coming out of school. The Giants Holy Grail an ideal height, weight player with questionable agility and (meek) intangibles. AKA project.

For me, he struck out way too much when attempting to engage defensive linemen from the snap. Putting him on Eli’s blind side would surely spell doom. But listen, I’m not an OL coach. So hopefully Brewer takes advantage of his opportunity and proves everyone wrong.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I will gladly eat a humble pie if JPP returns to anywhere near 2012 form.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I said it once and I will say it again, if Brewer turns out to be a professional football player and starts, I will not only chauffer FF55 to his box seats, I will BBQ burgers for him in the parking lot as well.