Although the New York Giants recently signed USC tight end Xavier Grimble as an undrafted rookie free agent — a player some fans have already put into the Hall of Fame — head coach Tom Coughlin said earlier this week that Adrien Robinson and Larry Donnell will have the inside track to win the top two spots at the position.
"We've got these two — Larry Donnell and Adrien Robinson — this will be their third year in the program and we expect great things from them," Coughlin said on Monday during a CBS Sports interview. "A couple weeks into it, they've looked very good. From that standpoint, I feel very good about it."
Coughlin noted that despite the addition of the aforementioned Grimble and Kellen Davis earlier in free agency, the "time is now" for both Robinson and Donnell. And although the Giants did have two tight ends — Eric Ebron and Austin Seferian-Jenkins — ranked highly on their draft board, the coach says things just didn't shake out in a way that would have allowed the team to draft either.
As such, the organization must now move forward with what they already have.
"It's like looking at a dinosaur situation when you start to evaluate that position. There just aren't a log of guys," Coughlin said. "What happens is you get into a round, say the second round, and two of those guys went. All of the sudden, two of the people you ranked pretty highly are off the board. … Certainly if the situation had presented itself, that would have been entertained in our [war] room."
It wasn't and the Giants ended up passing on all remaining tight ends. However, it's not something they are as concerned about as the fans and "experts" seem to be, as both Coughlin and General Manager Jerry Reese have repeatedly stated they feel content with the young talent they already have on the roster.
This is not to say the team wouldn't strongly entertain the idea of signing Jermichael Finley if and when he's finally medically cleared — they would — but if this current batch of tight ends is all they've got once the season finally begins, they're more than confident they can win with them.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Tom Coughlin Confirms New York Giants May Still Look to Free Agent Market for Tight End
- New York Giants TE Adrien Robinson Projects a ‘Breakout Season” in 2014
- New York Giants TE Adrien Robinson Facing Make or Break Season in 2014
- New York Giants’ Rueben Randle, Adrien Robinson Among 5 NFL Players Ready for Bigger Roles
- New York Giants Sign Tight End Kellen Davis to One-Year Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b2a