New York Giants Announce Jersey Numbers for All Free Agent Signees, Rookies

May 15th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

On Thursday, the New York Giants announced the current jersey numbers for all rookies from the 2014 draft class. However, the team stressed that these jersey numbers are potentially temporary and will not be made official until the start of the regular season. As such, make any purchases with extreme caution and the knowledge that they will likely change.

For Beckham Jr., who wore No. 3 in college (currently owned by kicker Josh Brown), he had to settle for either No. 88 or No. 13 — he chose the latter. As a result, wide receiver Travis Harvey now sports Hakeem Nicks' old No. 88. And, as a side note, Beckham Jr. is now also working to have his No. 3 retired at his old High School (the same High School that Eli Manning and Peyton Manning attended).

Richburg, meanwhile, has already said he will not be sticking with No. 60 and, ideally, would like No. 70, which is being worn by tackle Troy Korpog. Could a trade/sale be coming soon or will Richburg try to wait Kroprog out? That is the burning question for jersey collectors.

Finally, with Bromley snagging No. 96, that means second-year defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins also switched his jersey number and will now wear No. 95.

Other notable jersey numbers/changes are as follows:

• Josh Freeman – No. 2
  • John Jerry – No. 77
  • Emmanuel Dieke – No. 79
  • Mario Manningham – No. 86
  • Kellen Davis – No. 87
  • Robert Ayers – No. 91
  • Kelcy Quarles – No. 97

Notes: Emmanuel Dieke will share No. 79 with guard Stephen Goodin; running back Kendall Gaskins will share No. 46 with linebacker Justin Anderson; running back Michael Cox will share No. 29 with safety Thomas Gordon and No. 92 (rightfully) remains unassigned.

Tags: Andre Williams, Bennett Jackson, C.J. Barnett, Dan Fox, Devon Kennard, Emmanuel Dieke, Football, Jay Bromley, Johnathan Hankins, Nat Berhe, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Weston Richburg

Related posts

27 Responses to “New York Giants Announce Jersey Numbers for All Free Agent Signees, Rookies”

Well, since JT’s statement about someone stating that it’s a myth that Eli “throws high” so must have a “big receiver” is presumably directed at me, let me make just a few points.

EVERY quarterback throws high if he cannot set his feet and follow through. Do you understand that? I’m assuming so. So wouldn’t it be a function of how good his pocket is and how much time he has to throw? Wouldn’t the fact that in 2011, without ANY big receivers, Mr. Manning had one of the greatest seasons a quarterback has ever had, put the lie to his “need” for a big receiver?

It’s simple. We see all of Eli’s high throws. We don’t see very many of the similar throws made every week in the NFL by other quarterbacks under pressure (although we DID see plenty of them by opposing QBs in 2012 when Stevie Brown had all those overthrown balls come right to him). So, all quarterbacks throw high under certain circumstances, and Eli had a truly great season in 2011 without a receiver over 6’1?. Yes, it’s a myth that Eli “throws high so we should have drafted Evans”. It’s an argument made by people without enough thought behind it.

What the fact that Mason was picked (in the THIRD round when the Giants’ board had a defensive tackle, perhaps a bigger “need” in their view) has to do with Reese’s statement regarding Williams (“Too valuable to pass up”) after he was selected (in the FOURTH round) is beyond me. Even if you like Mason more, he WASN’T AVAILABLE unless you were willing to use your third pick on him, and we weren’t. In fact your whole position about which players we didn’t get makes very little sense. The draft is hardly science. Some players are unavailable when you pick. Lots of promising players don’t work out. Certain players you think will be very good don’t fit team needs at that moment.

Frankly, I just don’t see the logic of your argument. That doesn’t mean you’re “stupid” (that’s YOUR interpretation of what “veterans” here write, certainly not mine). But I do think you’ve made a weak case.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Exactly, thank you for clarifying FF!!

•  JT Jumbo says:

With skinny, you weren’t as insulting but reading what you said showed arrogance. You can’t read tone of voice through posts however, “This is comical” and “I could care less about your respect” are an insult or showing arrogance. At least Erichonius addressed me respectfully. I haven’t really got into it with skinny until today either but through out older posts you can’t help but feel teamed on with posts like that. I liked how you can bring up a what’s wrong with AW post but you ruin it with the arrogant part

•  JT Jumbo says:

Idk if it was you or not and I wasn’t directing at you if you took it that way. And yes I do see a gang mentality or the vets on the board. As far as Eli throwing high, if it’s true which a lot of us see, shouldn’t you build your personnel to help that? Tampa just did it for their QB. He was used to tree like receivers in Chi so they did it for him in TB. I wasn’t singling you out if you felt that way. Maybe you do argue with valid points idk, I didn’t get into it with you as much, I don’t believe. But if you look at newer guys getting picked on (almost) they get their comments twisted to make them look crazy or dumb. Stoll, who I had a lot problems with things he said, completely left I think. But I’d rather battle him with valid points instead of insults. Not everyone does it but it happens

•  skinnydoogan says:

JT, my apologies if you took offense to my “comical” comment. I don’t agree about gang mentality though, most of us don’t know each other from a hole in the wall, we all have opinions and that is it. You seemed fixated on the “battle” rather than making a point. Lighten up Frances.

•  JT Jumbo says:

I know you weren’t calling me names or anything but I feel like most of the board try to twist you around into being crazy or don’t know what you are talking about so it’s easy to get defensive. I was going on as a whole which is why I didn’t throw names and instead threw comments I could remember and I promise I will lighten up lol

•  skinnydoogan says:

Not sure how long you have been posting but a while back, I got myself vilified for being too sensitive to others comments, resulting in me lashing out at many of the boards most intelligent among them GOAT, FF, BBG and Kujo somebody, not sure who now, pointed out to me what I just told you, that this is just a board to throw comments up, we all have opinions, not all are right. I actually have a very limited knowledge of college players, I only become an expert when they become a Giant. I would never have known anything about AW if had not been for my son always watching college football. Oh and I am not in any way shape or form suggesting that any names that I did not mention are also not intelligent, I was just pointing out particular individuals that I got stupid with for no good reason.

•  JT Jumbo says:

I don’t think I was around for that. I want to say I found this site about when Prince was picked? Didn’t start posting until After Wilson was. But if you want to talk about some unintelligent individuals, I was on the Giants.com board for years and I could not stand it. The amount of bs spewed on there makes Stoll look like a genius. Anyway this one has been the best so far that I’ve seen for Giants. ESPN is a joke. Ohm not being the writer just flat out killed it. The only things wrong here are the mobile settings. It takes so long to sign in and this is the only mobile website I get pop ups on

Well, honestly, we needed a “field-stretcher” a lot more than we need a tall receiver, and Evans is NOT that guy (yes, he’s fast, but his acceleration off the LOS doesn’t come close to Beckham’s and it’s those first 5-10 yards that really stretch the defense because of their fear of a receiver getting behind them).

And, again, in 2011 Eli certainly did more than fine without a tall receiver (other than his tight end, where I absolutely DO see height being a significant asset for EVERY quarterback).

So it feels to me like Reese made a great selection (of course, Evans wasn’t there at that point anyway so unless you feel we should have traded picks away, both for him AND for Mason, Reese could not have selected either of them even had he wanted to do so) that gives Eli that potentially elite receiver that is needed to take some of the “squeeze” off Cruz (Cruz cannot be defended by just one guy but is ineffective against double coverage….releasing him from that has a GREAT positive effect on the entire offense) and put the second-or third-best corner against Randle, which could result in his having a LOT more production than if he was up against the opponent’s top cover corner. In fact, had the choice been Evans I suspect that he might have less impact in his rookie season because he is less “pro-ready” and would certainly not have “de-pressurized” Cruz and Randle to the extent I suspect Beckham will.

As for the bullying, I know it gets rough here sometimes, but don’t take it personally. Believe me, I get attacked more than most. Just part of the game. And if folks who attack me think I’m “stupid” I certainly will neither agree nor allow them to define me. I suggest you do the same.

•  JT Jumbo says:

I think Buffalo ruined any kind of hope to trade up for Evans which is why I’m fine with the Beckham pick. I don’t have a problem with the player of Beckham either. I just think the Beckham pick would be a lot better if we still had Nicks or already had Evans. As for Mason, it’s almost the same. I don’t have a problem with Williams but the 2 are forever going to be tied to each other IMO because Mason got picked the very next pick after us in round 3. Fischer said too good to pass. Reese said the same line a round later. Given how we go through DTs like water, does it even matter who we stick there? Anyways I don’t think you are “stupid.” Even skinny, I have often read your guys comments long before I started posting here and I often respected them. I don’t mind the battles of smurf WRs vs tall ones. The only thing that will make me believe someone is stupid is when they hate on Eli which most here don’t.

2.  JT Jumbo says:

I don’t get J.D wearing a linebacker #55.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Well my guess would be if his contract is not guaranteed, he is in serious jeopardy of not making final cuts considering we now have a legitimate rookie center.

•  JT Jumbo says:

Yea if they plan on Richburg starting, it would make sense to save cap on Walton. The LB #s are low as it is with #56 gone and you almost feel like protective over Banks/Carson’s #s going to anyone else

It means they’re quite confident that there are plenty of offensive linemen in camp who won’t be there long and whose numbers can then be reassigned.

I bet Tyler Sash goes the “adverse reaction to prescription drug” defense.

Now I’m envisioning him on a lawn mower. The whole story just cracks me up.

I hear the police in his town have ticketed dozens of pre-teens for riding in their cul-de-sacs on Schwinns-without-lights after sundown.

As if getting busted on a scooter isn’t enough humiliation. He doubles down by being tased. I wish someone had that on video.

•  rlhjr says:

I got him for improper operation of a scoter. Got to figure he was going 10 MPH in a walking (2 MPH) zone………………………………….

Before we tear each other apart in reference to Eli tendency to throw high let’s be clear that when he has a running game and is protected, he usually puts the ball on his receiver. This is especially true the further away from the line of scrimmage his throw is. No better thrower of the deep ball in the league than Eli.

It is also true that Eli’s miss (like a golfer missing with a hookl or a slice) is almost always high. This can come from faulty protection, faulty footwork or both. Eli can “lose” his mechanics and go into a slump throwing the football. And then with a full quarter of football to be played, he’ll get back in sync and burn the opposing defense and stun his teammates and fans with the accuracy of his throws. Even under extreme pressure.

There are not many QB who not like to work with talented and tall receivers.
      Because their catch radius allows for mistakes in timing, pattern and release of the ball. There will always be shorter receivers who are able to climb the latter and come up with high throws. And Beckham looks like one.
      Toomer and Plax were gifted tall wide outs. And I’m sure Eli and any other QB would have enjoyed throwing to them.

And I like seeing a little emotion on the board for a change. But like all drafts … we won’t know much for a couple years.

Yes, BUT…..this is probably the first draft of the Reese Era that clearly included a desire to select players who could play very quickly. Beckham, Richburg, Bromley and Williams all will probably be seeing snaps long before most rookies have over the past decade. We’ll know more about this draft, sooner, than is usually the case.

One might argue that in an effort to get faster production from safe picks Reese and the draft room blew it by completely rejecting “potential” until their fifth pick, but given the need for building a foundation for the next real run while Eli’s here, it’s hard to say which approach would have been better. In fact, I think the pundits who don’t like the Giants’ draft are practicing the very human approach of loving “potential” more than current reality. We all do it. The Giants went for a VERY “un-sexy” draft this spring. It frustrates lots of people. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. IF we got an elite receiver and a decade-long center, even if we got nothing else, that is a strong draft, especially because of the multiplier effect on our receiving corps and offensive line. I’m pretty confident we DID get that, and I also think Reese “hit” on his next two choices. After that it’s all wild cards.

FF55 is right … there’s a lot of number shuffling at the end of camp. Right now you can’t read anything into it.

Michael Sam .. sure the Giants should welcome him into the locker room. We’ve had no trouble with gangsters … criminals … and drug abusers. But we’re going to draw the line of someone’s sexual preference !!!??? I don’t think we’ll see Michael Sam shooting himself … or being chased down the street by the police on a scooter. Hell, if the team was that hung up on sex they’d have investigate some of those Osi rumors.

Now if only the ‘hero cat’ had knocked Tyler off that scooter.

I think we could start to construct a great five-minute video out of this episode…..but at the end it should be the killer dog tazing Sash. Then the cat arrests them both as the cops arrive and put each other up for heroism awards figuring no one will believe the dog’s or the cat’s story so they’re home free.