March 18th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Not that it was unexpected, but New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle is thrilled with the recent addition of his friend and former Arizona Cardinals teammate, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He believes that DRC brings an entirely new element to Big Blue's defense and even lauded him as one of the most athletic cornerbacks in the entire league.

"This is a huge signing for us. This guy is as good as it gets — he's the best athlete I've ever seen on the football field with respect to the corner position," Rolle said on ESPN Radio. "I think it was a phenomenal move by the Giants."

Rolle took that praise a step further when discussing linebacker Jon Beason, whom the Giants also recently re-signed. And as big as the addition of DRC is for the team, Rolle believes re-signing Beason was the best decision General Manager Jerry Reese has made since the new league year began last Tuesday.

"I think that may be the best signing that we've made thus far," Rolle said of re-signing Beason. "I think Jon Beason was definitely the voice we needed at MIKE linebacker. He came in not really fully understanding the defense [last year] and still played phenomenal and did exactly what we needed him to do. So, I can only imagine what it'll be like to get him in OTAs and training camp, and to start a season off the right way."

But, even with all of these additions and re-signings of key players, Rolle says Giants fans and his fellow teammates should temper their expectations. They need look no further than the Philadelphia Eagles' "Dream Team" from only a few years back as a reminder that winning the offseason doesn't necessarily equal success. And, ultimately, the only thing that matters is how they perform once the games start to count.

"Can people get excited? Absolutely," Rolle said about what the Giants have done in free agency thus far. "But it doesn't matter what I say, it doesn't matter who we sign. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how we produce between those white lines. And I think everyone knows that."

Finally, Rolle said DRC asked him specifically about the kind of coach/person Tom Coughlin is. His answer was as blunt, truthful and full of praise as you'd expect.

"He's one of the best guys — people — you'll ever be around in your lifetime. Just a genuine guy," Rolle said. "He cares about what kind of man you want to be. What kind of Father figure. What kind of professional. That's hard to find in this league."

At the end of the day, these are the motivational and inspiring words of a true leader.

Tags: Football, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

12 Responses to “Giants’ Antrel Rolle Praises Tom Coughlin & Jon Beason; Offers Motivational Message to Teammates”

Repost:

Some like a certain ESPN writer are concerned that we haven’t addressed our offense but that’s wrong. We have 3 new interior starters than started for most of last year with Snee returning. We also added a RB who even if not special should be durable and give us at least Brown like production. The OL and the running game were of main issues last year. We do need Beatty to be much better but he was always going to get a chance to redeem himself. We add a WR like Manningham plus add a WR, TE & RB through the draft and things look different.

Still the biggest key in winning will be our young players like Moore, Hankins, Robinson, Wilson, Randle, etc stepping up.

My concern is still our DL but there’s time to address it. One thing that we all need to do and not assume is that Patterson is a lock to be back. With some teams like Oakland needing to still spend money Patterson is the type of player we could lose to an overpaying team. So right now we only have Hankins, Jenkins and Kuhn at DT which just isn’t enough. DT I think will certainly be addressed doing the draft. I don’t think Kuhn is good enough to be a 3rd DT. I don’t think Patterson solves everything but bringing him back certainly helps.

People also have to realize not everyone we sign is a lock to make the roster. When I look at players like Hollis, Demps, Holiday and even McBride I don’t think are locks to make the roster. Not only are we adding a draft of 7 players but we will add some rookie free agents and at least 1-2 of those guys will earn a roster spot. I think a guy like Kuhn is also no lock if we add a vet like Patterson and a draft pick.

I would in addition to signing MM take a chance on Britt. I like Jernigan and think MM is a good gamble but neither is a lock to be our 3rd WR. One factor that we leave out about Jernigan’s success is that Cruz was out and Jernigan got to play Cruz’s role. I think Jernigan can contribute in 2014 but I still think his best position is in a Cruz type role. I know we are modifying our offense but I don’t know that both Cruz and Jernigan are effective playing together since I think both have similar skill sets. Another outside WR like MM was in 2011 is probably needed.

So how have the Raiders done in the past with ex-Giants? Hmmmm … Wilson … Boss… hmmm.

I really don’t understand the Raiders moves. They let go probably their two best young players then bring in a bunch of players that are either older or have injury concerns. They are rebuilding so why sign so many older players?

It seems that the DRC contract is actually only 5 years, 35 mil with another 4 mil in incentives. It seems that the contract is organized in such a way that it’s only a 2-3 deal. I don’t think it’s the best idea to sign a 28 year CB to a 5 year deal in most cases. However, DRC is a freak athletically (ran a 4.29 at the combine) so unlike a guy like Webster who was never the fastest DRC can possibly play well for most of if not all of that contract. In addition, by keeping DRC’s numbers at 7 mil per year I think it’s more possible we could keep Prince long term.

I see many have expressed concern about Beatty health wise but to me a broken leg is the best serious injury you can get. Normally once those are healed it’s healed. It’s not a ligament. Now there’s valid concern about Beatty performance wise next year but given his contract he will be the starter without competition IMO.

I agree about Beatty. He’ll be healthy and he’ll be the presumptive starter and given a chance to put last season in the past. But I think there’s a VERY serious question as to whether he can come back from 2013. There’s plenty of tape now that demonstrates that he is quite vulnerable to a bull rush, and can also be pushed off his mark and moved to the outside, allowing the defensive end to take an inside path to Eli. Unless he gains strength or creates a much better initial punch so he can get the DE off balance, I think Will Beatty could get run off the field by the better defensive ends and outside linebackers in the 3-4 defenses across the league. This is a critical year in Beatty’s career. He either improves a lot and locks down the position or he’ll be gone in 2015 and be a journeyman for the rest of his time in the NFL.

With his contract Beatty will still be here next year too. Maybe he won’t be our LT but there’s just too much dead money associated with his contract until after 2015 to part ways.

4.  jerseyrich says:

We cant possibly have enough money to make anything more than one or two vet/min signings. If we could sign manningham and any warm bodied DT id be thrilled. I don’t even know if we have enough money to do that though. I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 of the 7 guys we draft are a mix of offensive and defensive lineman.

It depends on how the contract is organized. Like DRC only counts less than 3 mil against this years cap. We still have guys like Rolle and Eli who we could extend. Only the top 51 count against the cap so we can always add someone as a vet minimum.

You may remember that when many were smashing Rolle I was repeating what I’d been told by Kurt Warner: that Antrel Rolle is a great team leader and would be as much an asset to the Giants for that reason as for his play. Warner knew what he was talking about in regard to ‘Trel, and those of you who think he will be gone after this season are absolutely crazy. In fact, now that we have Jon Beason too, we have the kind of defensive leadership, on the filed and in the locker room, that makes a very large difference in how a team plays. Chemistry and on-field savvy count.

I said before free agency began, as did some others, that retaining Beason was the single most important thing Reese could do. It’s good to hear the leader of the Giants say the same thing. Those fans who thought otherwise simply did not understand how important that defensive quarterback is to a team.

Where I think we still need some work on leadership is on the offensive side of the ball. Eli is, clearly, a team leader, and his toughness, while not worn on his sleeve is undoubtedly admired by his teammates. But in losing David Diehl I think we lost some leadership on the offensive side of the trenches. Chris Snee is a veteran but he was never the guy who led the big bellies. That’s an area of the team for which a leader needs to emerge. And can Victor Cruz be a real leader for the receivers? Time will tell, but he doesn’t seem to me to be that type. Eli can make up for that in regard to the receivers because the quarterback can, in fact, be the lodestar for the receivers too. But that offensive line needs to produce a tough guy whom the others will follow. We didn’t lose much in the way of ability when Diehl left, but we will miss his leadership.

If Rolle actually gets to free agency like Beason and Tuck then I think he definitely could be gone. Brown if he shows that 2012 was no fluke is a good player ad we have seen what Hill can do. I can see moving ahead with them as the starters. But I hope Rolle is here because I think he can play for several more years and now is the voice of the team leadership wise. Plus it seems with these CB signings that we are playing less 3 safety looks so safeties may not be used as much as they have been in prior years.

6.  PittsburghJim says:

Hit drop down arrows.
    Cool to look at…

7.  rlhjr says:

Leaders have to emerge. That takes a player who leads by word and deed.

Some here are conserned about the players getting carried away with these FA moves. I really hope the fan base can see this far from a finished product.

The ball club must have starters at OT DE TE C and maybe DT. The team is still a few bricks shy of a load. Slow it down people or you will know first hand how philly fans felt a few years ago.