March 15th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

When Hakeem Nicks signed with the Indianapolis Colts on Friday night, the only reason surprise was that he had agreed to a one-year deal. After much posturing and proclaiming his desire for a long-term contract, Nicks was ultimately met with the reality that something long-term wasn't in the cards. So he took what he could get.

Football Schedule / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

On Saturday morning, during a conference call with members of the Indianapolis and New York media, Nicks reflected on his time with the Giants and said that, despite parting ways, he'll cherish every moment of it.

"[There are] still good relationships there. I have much love for the Giants organization. It was a fun run in New York and I cherish every moment of it," Nicks said on Saturday during a conference call. "Business is business and I have to move on. My career is gonna keep going on."

Nicks also made a very telling reveal during his conference call: General Manager Jerry Reese and the New York Giants didn't even offer him a contract. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Unlike with defensive end Justin Tuck, they didn't even bother with a minimal offer. Instead, they moved forward like Nicks was gone before he was even officially gone.

"They actually didn't [make me an offer],"Nicks said, "But we had already talked prior to that."

In the end, it was a sad parting. And what caused the ultimate disconnect is really anyone's guess — it's something we may never know. But you can bet injuries and rehab were what started that snowball rolling.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, Jerry Reese, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Related posts

10 Responses to “New York Giants Never Made Hakeem Nicks an Offer; WR Says He’ll Cherish His Time in NY”

I wonder if our primitive approach to rehab played a part … a la Kenny Philips?

2.  Dirt says:

Not an ounce of bitterness or public badmouthing.

For obvious reasons, 10 years from now most will remember Tuck more fondly.

But I sure as hell won’t.

Something soured in this relationship. But I’ll always remember the beast that led us to our 8th championship, and the guy who fought through injury every game the following year.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Isn’t not offering someone better than lowballing? I mean a real lowball offer I think is more disrespectful than no offer.

Anyway this guy is not a #1 WR. In fact he hasn’t been a difference maker for 2 years. No loss with his departure. Despite what the Nicks homers believe.

Two years … from the next superstar WR … to this. WTF !!!

•  William says:

add to the list of superstar to WFT because of injury
      TT
      KP
      Tuck
      JPP
      Snee
      Baas (well at least decent to awful)
      Ballard
      Bradshaw
      Jacobs
      Am I the only one to see that list as a disaster that no team can with stand and stay successful?
      Thats just a list of guys who were way above average. The actual list of all players is even longer effecting depth throughout the team.

5.  jfunk says:

It’s hard to believe the Giants wouldn’t want him back at any price just because of “relationship” issues. It’s all about winning at the end of the day, so I’m going to assume they don’t believe he will ever be 2011 Nicks again.

I’ll wait and see. Guy still looked like a world beater until that hit vs Tampa in 2012 and he was hobbled the rest of that season. The question is WTF was 2013? Was it all mental/effort or is he physically damaged?

6.  jerseyrich says:

At the very least, the guy went out with class. That could mean two things though: a)he’s just a classy guy and that’s the way it is even if the Giants somehow messed up or b)he did something to seriously screw up the relationship and is now trying to make amends for it.

Either way, its a damn shame that it ends like this. We jut lost 3 very good homegrown Giants in the span of 3 days.