When Hakeem Nicks signed with the Indianapolis Colts on Friday night, the only reason surprise was that he had agreed to a one-year deal. After much posturing and proclaiming his desire for a long-term contract, Nicks was ultimately met with the reality that something long-term wasn't in the cards. So he took what he could get.
On Saturday morning, during a conference call with members of the Indianapolis and New York media, Nicks reflected on his time with the Giants and said that, despite parting ways, he'll cherish every moment of it.
"[There are] still good relationships there. I have much love for the Giants organization. It was a fun run in New York and I cherish every moment of it," Nicks said on Saturday during a conference call. "Business is business and I have to move on. My career is gonna keep going on."
Nicks also made a very telling reveal during his conference call: General Manager Jerry Reese and the New York Giants didn't even offer him a contract. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Unlike with defensive end Justin Tuck, they didn't even bother with a minimal offer. Instead, they moved forward like Nicks was gone before he was even officially gone.
"They actually didn't [make me an offer],"Nicks said, "But we had already talked prior to that."
In the end, it was a sad parting. And what caused the ultimate disconnect is really anyone's guess — it's something we may never know. But you can bet injuries and rehab were what started that snowball rolling.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- WR Hakeem Nicks Signs One-Year, $3.5 Million Deal with Indianapolis Colts
- Linval Joseph: New York Giants’ Offer was “Nowhere Near” Minnesota Vikings’ Offer
- Hakeem Nicks Willing to Accept One-Year Deal; Open to Returning to New York Giants
- Hakeem Nicks Disputes Report, Wants Long-Term Deal & Names Several Teams — None are Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1993