New York Giants’ Josh Brown Credits Steve Weatherford for Changing His Life

February 17th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

When NFL players say that the locker-room is like a brotherhood, it's not just a casual phrase to appeal to the media. The reality is, an NFL locker-room is very much like a brotherhood — like a family. There will be disagreements, hazing and in-fighting. In some of the more extreme cases, punches will even be thrown. And while that fuels the National media fire, it's the more impressive and uplifting stories that often go overlooked as a result.

Prior to Super Bowl XLVIII, while appearing at an event at MetLife Central, New York Giants kicker Josh Brown sat down and discussed that locker-room dynamic with Giants 101. And what initially started as a casual chat, quickly developed into a tale about one man changing another man's life in ways that he never could have anticipated.

Upon arrival in New York, where he would take over for two-time NFC Championship hero Lawrence Tynes, Brown would promptly meet the ever outspoken Steve Weatherford. And, with Weatherford being the welcoming and friendly person that he is, the two would develop a bond.

It was that bond which led to some very significant changes in Brown's life.

"Just watching the way he lives his life and how he takes care of his body; his nutrition and how disciplined he is. That's the message — just watching him. It's helped me lift better, eat better, take care of myself better, understand what I'm putting in my body better. It helped me change my point of view in regards to how I think about food. Rather than just eating all of it, I actually fuel up and eat the appropriate things," Brown told Giants 101.

The results were not subtle. And despite being a 12-year NFL veteran — three years Weatherford's senior — the lessons learned from the colorful punter's lifestyle would dramatically alter Brown's outlook on physical fitness, healthy eating and, ultimately, the way he lived his own life.

"My relationship with Steve has had a big impact on my life," Brown said. "I've lost 24 lbs., 9% body fat. It's been life altering for me."

The change was also a matter of setting pride aside. Despite being a longer tenured NFL athlete and a few years older than his teammate and friend, Brown admits that he just had to let go and ride Weatherford's "coattails" — not because that's what Weatherford had asked or demanded, but because that's what was necessarily to improve himself.

"He's a high-energy guy. You have to ride coattails sometimes, even if you're older and have more experience in the league. You can never stop learning, and I've learned a lot from Steve," he said. "And I will continue to draw as much out of him as I can.”

How far Brown plans to take things remains to be seen, but competing with his buddy for the cover of Men's Fitness is not entirely out of the question — even if his spread isn't as "sexy" as Weatherford's.

"We'll call them. I mean, if they would do it, I'd take my shirt off. I don't know if it'd be as sexy, but we can definitely give it a shot," Brown joked.

Although Brown had not yet talked contract with the Giants at the time of this interview, he made it abundantly clear that New York is where he wants to be. And with an organization like the Giants, a venue like MetLife Stadium and, most importantly, a friend like Steve Weatherford, who could blame him?

Mario Scipioni of Jets 101 helped contribute to this story.

Photo credit: John M Photography / Foter.com / CC BY-ND

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Josh Brown, Lawrence Tynes, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Weatherford

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ Josh Brown Credits Steve Weatherford for Changing His Life”

Good story.

skinny doogan, I’m sorry to hear about your father. Just make sure you tell him all of your feelings about him while he’s still around. In the last 5-6 years of his life my father and I made our mutual admiration for each other abundantly clear, something we too-long avoided doing. It makes an ENORMOUS difference when you can no longer see him or talk to him. My father was an extraordinary man. He graduated from high school when he was 15 and had an aeronautical engineering degree from NYU by the time he was 18. He designed bombers that helped win WWII. He lived a life of honor and integrity. I stand on his shoulders and am proud to be his son. And, thank God, I was able to tell him that when he still had years to run that knowledge around in his head and gain immense satisfaction from the degree to which his son admired him. He was also afforded the possibility of telling his son how proud he was of his son’s accomplishments as a man, and particularly as a father, son, husband, and member of his community.

Those conversations have made his death tolerable. Make sure you have them. That goes for all of you, even if your father is still young, and in good health. As a father myself I know that it isn’t rare for a father to suspect that all of his hard work on behalf of his family is little appreciated. That’s generally not true, but if no one says anything, that assumption can last a lifetime. Don’t let that be a great mistake you make with your father (and mother too).

As I’ve watched a little tape of college kids I’m starting to think that it’s quite possible that the Giants could trade down in May. The reason? I think that one of Dennard or Gilbert should still be available (perhaps both) at #12 and that plenty of teams will covet either of them. Now, of course, Reese could just take one of them, but I’d rather see him trade down, take either Zack Martin or, more likely Xavier Sa-Filo (?) the guard from UCLA whom I think may be as good or better than Martin, and use the pick they got in the trade down to trade up in the second or third round to get another blue-chip prospect.

I think they could get the UCLA kid relatively late in the first round so could be trading with a team that would be moving up from maybe #22-27 to #12, which should garner a second round pick as part of the deal. Of course, that means taking a “lower-value” position with their first pick, but assuming that Reese signs a guard in free agency and that there is hope that Mosley or Brewer can compete at guard and/or right tackle, adding a real stud at guard could really free up the rest of their draft because Pugh can stay put or move.

Give Reese three picks in the first 55 or so and I think we get three players who could immediately challenge for starting jobs, at least 2 of whom would get them. We need volume because of all the holes in the roster, so I’m prepared to take a guard with our first pick if it yields me two more high-quality players, which it may well do. Usually, trading down is very hard. But if a quality corner is available at #12, and one should be, then there may be a LOT of potential trading partners. I really like Dennard and Gilbert, but I’m not sure either is a shutdown corner and I’d be willing to take a corner later in the draft and figure that McBride and Hosley will step up too.

I do think Dennard or Gilbert could be quality players along the Prince level and maybe slightly better. Gilbert seems like a natural fit for our system but Dennard has many attributes that remind you of Revis coming out of school, revis wasn’t considered to be a great athlete either.

I don’t believe it’s smart betting on a journey man like Mcbride to repeat his performance. But I think many have overlooked Hosley as being our long term #2 CB. I think he has the aggression and skill level to succeed on the outside but he does have to stay healthy and prove it. I still think we should draft a CB fairly early because you need at least 3 good CBs even if Hosley is an answer.

But I still agree with trading the pick as I have been suggesting for the reasons you suggest and that this draft is really deep. I don’t see both top guards being gone in the first round so I think even picking later in the first we will get the UCLA or Stanford kid.

After looking at the cap more closely and thinking about free agent options it doesn’t make sense to cut Kiwi and Bass as many of us have suggested. While I’m not nearly as high on Kiwi as F55 I do think most of us would agree he’s worth 1.8 mil as a solid vet. We only save 1.8 Kiwi cutting Kiwi and we probably can’t sign a free agent as good for that amount. I’m also assuming at this point that Tuck isn’t returning and we do need a vet presence at DE that can start if needed while Moore and likely a rookie DE progress into larger roles. Bass’ cap saving are also only 1.8 mil. So we get a guy if healthy that’s a decent starting center or guard for 1.8 mil, not bad in my view.

Given that both players are signed until next year it makes sense to keep them at least until the summer. If we have rookies or other additions that make either player dispensable then we can cut them at that point and put some of their dead money into next year to extend a player like JPP.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I think it depends on Free Agency, unless we have to cut him before that starts to get the cap savings. I think Center is a real possibility for us in free agency and if we do get one then I’d assume Bass is gone.

Don’t really have much of an opinion on Kiwi. He’s never been the same since the neck injury. And was pretty much invisible on the field this season. My gut says he’s gone but I don’t feel strongly about it.

I think you and other forget Bass originally came up as a guard. I think it makes more sense to sign a guard and draft a 3rd-5th round center who could possibly start this year but will be ready to start by 2015. The point is if you cut Bass the replacement will likely cost more or not be an improvement for only 1.8 mil.

Same deal with Kiwi. To me the point of getting rid of players is to improve the positions and we just don’t save enough to cut either layer now. That’s unless we re-sign Tuck or Bass can’t get healthy.

•  Nosh.0 says:

It’s more to the fact that I don’t think either of them can play anymore. I’m not certain on Bass, but Kiwi is at the point now where you’d have a hard time finding much worse than him. Guy was invisible.

Obviously we need a DE to rotate in with Moore, but I think we can find one better than Kiwi for the vet min.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Reading about Taylor Leawn he sounds like he’d be a near perfect Right Tackle with a chance to develop into an LT down the road.

Also Pugh probably needs a coke buddy, and Leawn is the right age with the right demeanor. Plus, “Coke boys” would be a great nickname for the right side of our OL.

•  Nosh.0 says:

*Lewan

I think we already have that player in Pugh. It would be much more efficient draft wise and for the composition of the OL to trade down in the first round and draft a top guard. Pugh still gives the same ability to eventually be our LT but we already know he can play RT. Plus we get an extra premium pick. Contract wise Beatty is very likely here at least until 2015 because of all the dead money associated with his deal. After 2015 he’s realistic to cut. Plus I rather have a rookie guard than a tackle.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I think Pugh and Lewan are very different players. Pugh can get out and run, which is why I like him as a pulling Guard. And while he was solid in pass blocking for the most part I don’t see Pugh as a big time mauler run blocking from RT.

Lewan on the other hand sounds like a guy who can push his man back 3 yards right at the point of attack. A true mauler in the run game.

Your assessment might very well be right. We are still going to be a passing team so to me is much more important to have a stud in pass protection at RT. We are a team much like GB that will be able to run because of our passing game. That’s how we ran well in 2012.

What happens at draft time depends to a large extent on what happens during free agency.