New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck has never been shy about giving back the community. From greeting fans and signing autographs during training camp to his R.U.S.H. for Literacy organization, Tuck is one of the most charitable and engaging athletes in the NFL. And as a reward for his charitable nature, the former Pro Bowl defensive end has been named one of the Top 10 Black Celebrity Philanthropists of 2013 by Black Gives Back and the Admiral Center.
New York Giants star player Justin Tuck and his wife Lauran are the founders of Tuck’s R.U.S.H. for Literacy, an organization that promotes literacy, opportunity, access to education and financial literacy for low-income youth in New York, New Jersey and Alabama. What started out as a simple book distribution has grown to include an essay contest and grant making.
In October, the couple joined the Children’s Aid Society (CAS), the Citi Foundation and the 1:1 Fund to launch The Children’s Aid Society College Savers pilot program that will help low-income New York City children and their families save and plan for college. Initial funding for the program was provided through a $100,000 grant from Tuck’s R.U.S.H. for Literacy. Justin shared, “Many kids in the rural Alabama community where I grew up weren’t so fortunate and never considered college a real possibility. The CAS College Savers program would have made a huge difference in their lives and it has the potential to make a real difference in the lives of low-income New York City children.”
In addition to Tuck, other names in the top 10 include Hip Hop Artist Dr. Dre, actors Denzel Washington and Jamie Foxx, and autism advocate Holly Robinson Peete, to name a few.
Congratulations are certainly in order for Tuck and his wife, Lauran, who continue to go above and beyond for those in need.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants DE Justin Tuck Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
- New York Giants’ Justin Tuck not Thinking About Retirement or Free Agency; Focused on 2013
- New York Giants’ Justin Tuck May Get “Teary-Eyed” Following Sunday’s Finale Against Redskins
- Justin Tuck May Be Willing to Give New York Giants a Hometown Discount to Remain with Team
- New York Giants, Justin Tuck not Looking to Be “Embarrassed” by Seattle Seahawks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16mx