With the New York Giants roster facing a great deal of uncertainty heading into the 2014 season, the team has to figure out what to do with Eli Manning in the upcoming future, especially regarding his current contract.
Of the seven-year, $106.9 million deal that he signed back in August of 2009, the 33-year-old quarterback still has two years remaining on that current contract and will be owed $15.5 million next season, but will have a cap number that counts for $20.4 million, which is a big chunk of the team's salary cap and they have so many voids to fill next season, thus why the idea of an extension has come up for Manning this spring.
By restructuring Manning's deal and giving him an extension, the Giants could lower that $20.4 million cap number but give Manning another three or four years on his deal that put him under contract until he's 37 or 38 years old. However at the current time, Giants general manager Jerry Reese told Mike Francesa of WFAN on Thursday that they have yet to discuss an extension with their starting quarterback.
"That's yet to be said … We don't know what we'll do with respect to that."
While Reese has yet to discuss an extension with Manning, it makes way too much sense not to do considering how much of his current deal takes up of the current salary cap and while the Giants have had no issues with Manning taking up that much room because of what he's meant to the team and to the organization given he's won two Super Bowls in his tenure, the Giants still need to put a team around Manning in order for him to succeed and win.
Manning isn't the only player in the same situation as starting safety Antrel Rolle is also a candidate for a contract extension with the Giants to lower his cap number for 2014 and clear up some cap room for this coming offseason.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Antrel Rolle Open to a Contract Extension with New York Giants; Wants to Retire a Giant
- Eli Manning Open to Restructuring Contract with New York Giants for 2014 Season
- Hakeem Nicks, New York Giants to Meet Next Week; WR Wants to Discuss “Organizational Stability”
- Frustration for Hakeem Nicks Beginning to Boil Over; New York Giants Refuse to Discuss It
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16lw