Tom Quinn Will Return as New York Giants Special Teams Coordinator: Report

January 9th, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Shortly after completing a 7-9 season, it appeared as if the New York Giants planned to make wholesale changes along their coaching staff. Thus far, that has not been the case. With the exception of the retirement of offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, little else has changed. And as The Star-Ledger reports, that will continue to be the case — at least in the area of Special Teams — as Tom Quinn appears to be a lock to return in 2014.

The return of Quinn is the first real shock of the offseason, given that it seemed like a near certainty that he'd be fired. After all, the Giants ranked near the bottom or at the bottom of the league in almost every statistical Special Teams category, and had given up three punt return touchdowns of 80 yards are more — something that hasn't happened in decades. Couple that with the unit blowing a shutout for the defense on two occasions, and they were a major contributing factor in a disappointing 7-9 season.

The 45-year-old Quinn will now enter his 9th season as the Giants' Special Teams Coordinator. Both he and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell are believed to have one year remaining on their respective deals.

Photo credit: John M Photography / Foter.com / CC BY-ND

Tags: Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Quinn

16 Responses to “Tom Quinn Will Return as New York Giants Special Teams Coordinator: Report”

I’m only a bit surprised by this. I’ll accept Quinn (who has had five “good” years and four horrible ones, which should be enough to get you fired but doesn’t get there in Tom Coughlin’s Universe of Loyalty and Continuity) if that’s the price of getting rid of Gilbride.

I am amazed that many of you have now waxed nostalgic about Gilbride, and are falling over each other to say you’re okay with his having been “retired” but he was, after all, a pretty good coach. If Eli Manning had a great offensive coordinator he would already be headed for the pantheon of great quarterbacks instead of now having to earn his way in during the last third of his career. Getting rid of Gilbride is worth three draft picks, minimum. That horse manure about “being flexible” and “changing what we did” was a load of hooey. Just remember, he and Coughlin were the geniuses who pushed a game plan against the Eagles in January, 2009 that required long passes across the field in 25-40 mph winds. A high school coach would have known better. From that day forward I have been convinced those two cost this team consecutive championships, because I still believe the Giants should have won the whole thing in that 2008 season, regardless of Plax. They were the best balanced team in the league that season and they were the best overall squad. Their coaches killed their chances.

2.  skinnydoogan says:

Regarding Quinn my only question is why?!? This just confirms that Mara is not serious, just sacrificing Gilbride to “calm the masses” so his stadium continues to fill up, sad.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

I mean really, what does someone have to do to get fired from this staff? Kill baby seals? Shoot nuns? I am lost.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Hell I want to go work for Coughlin, better guarantees and lower expectations then your typical Government job.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

What a joke.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

I now have witnessed two bonafide emperor’s in my time, our President and now Tom Coughlin.

7.  skinnydoogan says:

and in other news…. Dave Diehl just signed a 6 year $90 million dollar deal with $45 million guaranteed.

John Mara seems to have decided that he has to become an “activist” owner. I’m glad to see it. Coughlin certainly never “reported” to Reese. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t understand the pecking order in the Giants’ offices. The only man who can force change on this team is the owner. And he finally seems to have found his voice. He won’t turn into Jerry Jones, but he is suddenly sounding like he intends to be heard and obeyed.

I like it.

•  TuckThis says:

Are you referring to the interview Mara just had on the FAN? Didn’t sound like that to me. Like keeping Quinn, sounded like the same old same old…..my new favorite phrase when referring to the Giants. I totally get that no one would trade 2 SB rings for a few more appearances in the playoffs, but I find it hard to believe that the front office finds this teams absolute inconsistency from year to year acceptable.

•  skinnydoogan says:

It’s simple, the owners got our money, stadium is sold out. Why go out and shake things up?

Hey, I see the R-words decided to hire a white guy. What a surprise. Who saw that coming ?

10.  William says:

I can’t believe that no one has commented on Tiki/Ronde Barber on a “Football Life”.
    First its been an excellent series over the last two years and I would recommend ant episode on any player or coach profiled. This week they profiled the Barber twins and while it may not turn over everyones opinion on Tiki its a good start. Is he arrogant to a fault, yes…but he’s also comes across as shockingly honest and refuses to say anything but whats on his mind. Certainly a rare trait in the PC era. Takes some brutal shots at TC over his coaching and rules that lead in no small part to his early retirement. As we have all found over the years TC is difficult to work for and stubborn to a fault. That was the case in 2006 n 2013.
    If you have it out for Tiki for dumping the pregnant wife make sure you catch the show for no other reason than you meet the girl he left her for….WOW!!! I’m not a big fan of people that cheat but when the girl is that young and pretty I give him the pass.
    I’m not heading up the Tiki Fan Club but we all may have been a tad harsh on this blog for a darn good player and a guy who was willing to speak his mind in an above average manner.