The New York Giants' offensive coordinator search will continue this weekend and they now have a new name in the mix, as Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo will interview for the position over the weekend.
This week, the Giants interviewed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who was also the former Giants quarterbacks coach and will also interview former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains on Thursday. McAdoo will be next on Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese's list of candidates.
The 36-year-old McAdoo spent six years as the Packers tight ends coach before being promoted to the quarterbacks coach when Joe Philbin took over as the Miami Dolphins head coach and Tom Clemens was promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator.
On Wednesday, current Packers quarterback and former MVP Aaron Rodgers gave his personal endorsement for McAdoo and hoped for him to move up to the next level of the coaching ranks.
“I sent him a text,” Rodgers told ESPN Wisconsin. “I said, ‘Make sure you put me down as a reference.’ Just a little pro athlete joke there, but I’m happy for Ben. Any opportunities he gets, he deserves. He’s a guy that works extremely hard. We had a long talk yesterday, and I just continued to echo the things that I felt about him and appreciate about him.''
McAdoo has worked under current head coach Mike McCarthy when he was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers before coming over with him to Green Bay and thus, has had no affiliation with Coughlin unlike Sullivan and would bring in different ideas if hired.
The Giants are searching for a new offensive coordinator to replace the newly-retired Kevin Gilbride, who was the Giants offensive coordinator since the 2007 season.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Mike Sullivan Will Interview with New York Giants for Vacant Offensive Coordinator Position
- New York Giants Will Meet with Dowell Loggains on Wednesday Over Offensive Coordinator Position
- Washington Redskins Granted Permission to Interview Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell
- Kevin Gilbride Likely to Be Fired as New York Giants’ Offensive Coordinator: Report
- Tom Coughlin was Prepared to Fight for Kevin Gilbride’s Job as Giants Offensive Coordinator
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16jl