In addition to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who met with the team on Wednesday, the New York Giants are setting up a series of additional interviews. They will meet with former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains on Thursday, Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo on Saturday and, now, will add former Houston Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell to their slate of sit-downs.
The 50-year-old Dorrell has been coaching since 1989, which includes a stint as head coach of the UCLA Bruins (2003-2007). More recently however, Dorrell served as the Houston Texans' quarterback coach (2012-2013) and the Miami Dolphins' wide receivers coach (2008-2010). Prior to that and his stint at UCLA, he coached the Denver Broncos' wide receivers (2000-2002).
Two seasons ago, Dorrell coached Texans quarterback Matt Schaub to his second Pro Bowl and first career playoff appearance, but 2013 would be an entirely different story. Schaub's struggles would lead to a rift between ownership and coaches, and after the team finished the season with a 2-14 record, nearly the entire staff — Dorrell included — was cleaned out.
Although the NFL's Rooney Rule stipulates that teams must interview at least one minority for all head coaching and senior football operation jobs, that does not apply to coordinator positions. As such, the Giants' interest in speaking with Dorrell is most likely genuine.
Despite the now four candidates, current players all seem to share a similar preference: Mike Sullivan.
On Wednesday, wide receiver Victor Cruz joined a long list of players supporting Sullivan, which currently features quarterback Eli Manning, wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and even the now retired Kevin Gilbride, whose decision to walk away from the game opened this very position.
"Yeah, absolutely," Cruz said when asked if he wanted Sullivan as the Giants' next OC, adding that he planned to text Sullivan as well.
All in all, no decision has yet been made by the Giants and their search for their next offensive coordinator appears destined to continue well into next week at the very earliest.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Packers QB Coach Ben McAdoo to Interview for New York Giants’ Offensive Coordinator Position
- Mike Sullivan Will Interview with New York Giants for Vacant Offensive Coordinator Position
- New York Giants Will Meet with Dowell Loggains on Wednesday Over Offensive Coordinator Position
- New York Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride Announces Retirement
- Washington Redskins Granted Permission to Interview Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16ju