Stevie Brown Expects to Be Back with New York Giants in 2014: Report

January 6th, 2014 at 10:00 AM

After a breakout season in 2012, Stevie Brown came into 2013 expecting to take over as a starting safety for the New York Giants. Unfortunately, a torn ACL in the preseason ended his follow-up campaign quicker than it could begin, and the uncertainty surrounding his future with the team was only compounded by his pending free agent status.

But with surgery now a distant memory, and with rehab on schedule — which included a return to running only a week ago — Brown feels he's ready for a strong return in 2014. And he fully expects that to be with the New York Giants.

"I mean, I feel like I'll be back, and I want to be back so it's more so you just have to wait for the process now," Brown told The Star-Ledger. "Wait for it all to happen upstairs and just go from there."

Shortly after a Week 17 victory over the Washington Redskins, Brown revealed he already had a meeting with General Manager Jerry Reese, who allegedly informed him the team would want him back in 2014. So his expectation to return is not at all unfounded, and would lead you to believe the two sides have continued their talks. And given the level uncertainty of Will Hill's status following his recent arrest, Brown is a quality option for both depth and experience.

In addition to Hill being carefully watched by the league, Ryan Mundy is also slated to become an unrestricted free agent. Ultimately, that leaves Big Blue with only the aforementioned Hill, Antrel Rolle and Cooper Taylor at the safety position. So should Brown be willing to work with the Giants on a "show me" deal similar to the one signed by cornerback Terrell Thomas following his last ACL/microfracture surgery, it's a safe bet we'll see Brown wearing Giants blue again in 2014.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown, Will Hill

11 Responses to “Stevie Brown Expects to Be Back with New York Giants in 2014: Report”

1.  JimStoll says:

Good luck, Stevie.
    We all know the first year back from ACL surgery can be tough, so we’ll have to wait and see.

My point about the 10-12 starters is that some say we need is that the way this organization is run that won’t happen. I don’t think that many starters are needed but we we will bring in a number of players that could start. However, they won’t be given jobs and when it comes to competition it’s hard for new players through the draft and even free agency to beat out players already familiar with the system. TC is still our coach and he’s not going to just start new players because we were 7-9. I believe that some players that haven’t contributed much like Hosley, Robinson and Mosley can step up and be starters or key contributors. Players like Jernigan, Moore and Hankins can contribute much more. Nassib will be given a shot to be our backup, if he is that saves a roster spot.

Regardless of our record this year we were always in transition because we are replacing many vets would played key parts in our winning. More than this years draft or free agent acquisitions to me this year is really about our last 3-4 drafts. We are simply not going to be good enough without great contribution from this group. There’s only so much free agents and even a 2007 like draft class can provide.

I do agree that Couglin won’t let someone start just because the guy ahead of him is terrible. We’ve seen plenty of that. And for sure some players will step up. In fact I’m certain we’ll be a better team next year. And in the world of the NFC LEast you don’t have to be very good to win the Division.

BUT … that should not be our goal. We should want to position ourselves to be a threat to win the championship. And there are an awful lot of pieces that have to fall into place to reasonably expect that to happen. I stress the word ‘reasonably’ because I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect that may holes get fixed in one cycle. I hope I’m wrong.

May holes = MANY holes. Have to avoid the spelling Nazis.

I think first we have to think division. We have to get back to owning our division. I think we are rebuilding the offense but are only refining the defense. I think the offense can be rebuilt with 3 OL, 1 TE, 1-2 RBs and 1 WR. Not all starters but quality depth. Defensively 1 CB, 1 LB and 1 DE is all we need and those are backup type players except CB.

When I said the last few jobs I forgot to include the most important player JPP. While our defense was good this year, the only way it becomes elite is JPP being an elite player again. We might not need JPP to be good but we need him to be great.

I didn’t really believe in a healthy Brown so I’m very skeptical about him going forward. I don’t mind re-signing him. But I think a combo of TT, Mundy and Taylor will be fine. I think that TT needs to be moved to safety. He’s clearly still a good football player but doesn’t have the speed to hold up at CB. To me he’s a very good fit for the 3rd safety role and maybe to have in our back pocket with the Hill concerns. But maybe Hill is why we also keep Brown.

Hill won’t be cut because of this latest news. TC came out and strongly supported him. I doubt the NFL suspends him from so little info, that would be a slippery slope even for them. The tricky thing will be after 2014 if he continues to play so well. What kind of contract can you give him? It would be a good problem to have.

If I’m a cop who roots for the Giants … I’m going to smell weed on several opposing players every week … especially QBs.

4.  CT GIANT says:

Stevie Browns stats since 2010:
    111 Tackles, 93 Solo; 18 Assts; 2 FF; 2 FR; 8 INT’s.
    Any questions? A 5’11 221 lbs Safety who is an obvious playmaker, he comes back Hill or no Hill.
    I expect him to start this 2014 season with Rolle, T2 is slow period, but could be put in “special packges” but at CB we need someone big, fast, and strong!
    T2 was that guy, but not now.

C GIANT

5.  CT GIANT says:

Not sure Mundy stays and Taylor looks like a “injury bug” guy like the JPP of TE’s, Robinson?

Way to early to see what happens in both FA’s and the draft. It all starts with these player “evaluations” soon then we have better vision seingwho is going
    an who isn’t.