Not that it should come as any real shock to fans who watched the 2013 carefully, but a report by The Star-Ledger suggests that the New York Giants are very interested in retaining linebacker Jon Beason, whom they acquired earlier in the year for a seventh-round pick, and that there's a "strong likelihood" he will return in 2014.
“I would love to play here next year,” said Beason recently. “I want to continue to play football at a high level and I’m trying to win a championship. … That’s my No. 1 priority, right. And that is something I think we can do here. I think the pieces are here and you don’t really need to look elsewhere.”
The addition of Beason proved instrumental for the Giants' defense, and after struggling mightily to start the year, they ended with a series of very strong games that helped push their overall ranking to 8th in the league. Ultimately, in his 12 games with the team, Beason ended up with 93 tackles (104 overall), one interception and some of the highest run-stopping grades the Giants have seen out of the middle in a long, long time.
And despite being a free agent for the very first time — something that excites most NFL athletes — Beason seems to be more than content right where he is.
"Being a free agent, it’s the first time where you get to choose where you want to play or who you want to play with and all of that stuff," Beason said. "But when you come to a place like the New York Giants, there are high standards, there are great players and this team has done it on a consistent level, so for me it’s all about winning at this point in my career."
Re-signing Beason will almost certainly go from a "strong likelihood" to "offseason priority No. 1" rapidly. Expect him to be one of the first signed/re-signed by the Giants this offseason.
photo credit: Rogueldr128 via photobucket
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Acquired Jon Beason from Carolina Panthers for a Seventh-Round Pick: Report
- New York Giants Set to Acquire LB Jon Beason from Carolina Panthers for Late Draft Pick: Report
- New York Giants’ Jon Beason: “I Would Love to Play Here Next Year”
- New York Giants Will Allow Tom Coughlin the Choice to Return for 2014 Season: Report
- New York Giants’ Jon Beason: I Knew My Day Would Come, I Just Needed to Get Healthy
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/165p