December 30th, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Following a 20-6 victory over the Washington Redskins on Sunday night, head coach Tom Coughlin had rallied his team to a 7-3 finish on the season. Unfortunately, the team also started 0-6 and again missed the playoffs, leading some to question whether or not he deserves to return in 2014 and whether or not he even wants to return in 2014. But when questioned about it during his postgame press conference, Coughlin didn't seem too interested in discussing it.

"Don’t ask me that. I’m not answering that type of question right now. There will be an evaluation of everything, I’m sure, and we’ll go from there," Coughlin snapped.

But while Coughlin wasn't interested in talking about his future, his players didn't hesitate to address it. And perhaps not so surprisingly, every single one of them emphatically came to his defense, including captain and defensive lineman Justin Tuck, who dared anyone to name someone who does their job better than Coach Coughlin.

“I’d be very surprised [if Coughlin wasn't back in 2014]. Shocked," Tuck said. "You tell me somebody that does it better than he does. As far as being a player in that locker room for nine years, I haven’t seen him change not one bit as far as how he has his team prepared, how he prepares."

“I pride myself on getting here pretty early on Wednesday through Friday. I never beat him here. I don’t think anybody beat him here. This guy prepares his butt off, and I think the fire’s still there. I think he’s still feels like he has a lot to prove in this league. I think he’s going into his off-season just like all of us, figuring out ways to have a better season next year.”

Some players even took it a step further, saying they don't want to play for anyone else. One such player was veteran safety Antrel Rolle.

“I want him back,” Rolle said. “I wouldn’t want to play for anyone else.”

Quarterback Eli Manning, who left the game in the second quarter with a high ankle sprain, also offered his support for Coughlin, saying "I definitely hope that he's the coach of the Giants next year."

As of now, it appears uncertain what fate awaits Coughlin and his other coaches, but with Monday morning press conferences scheduled, we'll all have a better idea of where this ship is headed once they conclude. But odds are that Coughlin will remain with Big Blue … and rightfully so.

photo credit: Darryl Kenyon via photopin cc

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Eli Manning, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

33 Responses to “Players Offer Full Support of Tom Coughlin; One Saying He “Wouldn’t Want to Play for Anyone Else””

“What do you think about your boss?”

“Ummmmm …. errrrrr …. I think my boss is awesome.”

2.  turkish says:

Players are not going to throw their 2 time Super Bowl winning coach under the bus to the media. NOT going to happen. I can’t blame them for their support of Coughlin anyway. As Dirt said though, this team is FAAAAAAAAAAR too comfortable with being average.

Repost:

Look we are not signing a big name free agent LT. We have too much money tied up in Beatty. Unless Beatty retires we can’t afford it. Beatty was horrible this year but you don’t give up on a player you paid a lot of money after one bad year. If Beatty is healthy he will be starting on this OL.

If Beatty is not our LT I think Pugh is a much overlooked option. clearly he can still be effective with his short arms. Pugh is not going to be a Oden LT but he can be a better version of Diehl in his prime.

Trading our pick to move up in our state is something that shouldn’t even be discussed. We need an infusion of several talented rookies not just a few.

The player that most assume will be gone but I’m not so sure is Bass. Maybe he isn’t as good as he was suppose to be but he can be a solid to above average center. If keep him we can focus on adding a high round guard and a free agent starting guard.

The position that might need the most new bodies is RB. The only player that is guaranteed to even be on our training camp roster is Cox. Brown is tricky because he’s a nice player who you can’t afford to pay much because he’s so fragile. Wilson’s career might be in jeopardy. And while Hillis did a nice job he’s a journeyman and should have to fight to make the team.

TT I feel like should be made a safety. It’s clear he still has all the skills to still play except speed. He can be our 3rd safety when we use that look and be a quality backup to Rolle and Hill. But his days at CB should be over unless injuries strike.

Players don’t have the concerns we do as fans. They believe it’s the players and not the plan. They like and respect TC so they are not going to want him gone. Same with Eli and Gillbride. No QB wants to lose their long time OC. Look at what happened at Pitt when they did that with Big Ben.

•  kujo says:

But…but…but…

Doesn’t Eli needs to “take control” and “demand” more say in the offense and selection of coordinators?

A bet a lot of money he doesn’t want a new OC. Now maybe more say, especially more no huddle is something that should be done on both sides.

5.  kujo says:

Tom Rock ?@TomRock_Newsday 15s
    Final NFL rankings for Giants offense: Yards 28th, PPG 28th, Passing 19th, Rushing 29th.

6.  kujo says:

Tom Rock ?@TomRock_Newsday 33s
    Final NFL rankings for Giants defense: Yards 8th, PPG 18th, Passing 10th, Rushing 14th.

7.  kujo says:

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina 2m
    Ouch! Eli Manning finishes with the league’s third worst passer rating (69.4) ahead of GEneo Smith of the Jets & Terrelle Pryor of Oakland.

Eli’s struggles were much more than just the OL and WRs. He played badly too. Not that it can’t be shaken off but some give him too much of a pass for his performance this year. Really the last 24 games.

GOAT, I’d venture to say no one at Giants 101 thinks we should sign a big-name free agent LT. that would be insane, and unaffordable.

We’d damned well better sign at least one high-quality offensive lineman (at least close to elite) and seriously consider another well-above-average lineman.

I happen to agree with you that Baas is probably back and will probably be depended upon to play center (Mack would be a great signing but I suspect he’s going to be kept by the Browns, and I’m not sure there’s another quality center who will be available, so Baas may look like the best option). I think the O-line they will plan on having next season starts with Pugh, Baas and Beatty plus a free agent signed to play guard and a rookie (or two) who will compete with Mosley, Goodin, Herman and possibly still Boothe or Diehl for the other slot.

I’d like to see a lineup of Pugh, Baas, two free agents signed, and a rookie who beats out everyone but Pugh because he’s a blue-chip player drafted early. That or one free agent and Beatty recovered and having remembered how to play football.

Mach has gutted his free agent market potential by declaring that he’s going to give the Browns a chance to match any offer.

•  turkish says:

No thanks on Baas for me. Horrendous pass blocking C with injury issues. He HAS to be replaced.

All I know is the OL played better with Bass. He isn’t great but we are still paying him a lot to not play for us. We only save I think 2 mil by cutting him. He’s worth 2 mil.

You’re not being realistic. Replaced by whom? And what about dead money? This isn’t Madden.

•  turkish says:

You’re not looking at the numbers. His cap hi is over $8M in 2014 and he was the worst pass blocking C in 2012. The guy is unreliable. He needs to go.

I agree with you mostly. But if healthy Beatty is starting next year. His contract dictates it won’t be a competition. The only way I could see him not starting is he’s out all offseason and some of training camp but the combo that is together is playing so well we just stay with them.

9.  ERICHONIUS says:

… and that one player was Chris Snee. He then followed that statement with “where’s my roster bonus?”