New York Giants’ 2014 Opponents Now Officially Set

December 30th, 2013 at 8:00 AM

With the 2013 regular season now officially in the books, 2014 opponents have been set for all 32 NFL teams. And that, of course, includes the New York Giants who finished the 2013 season with a record of 7-9.

Home Games:

Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts and Atlanta Falcons.

Away Games:

Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans and Detroit Lions.

Although it's nearly impossible to tell how tough their strength of schedule will ultimately be (this year is a prime example of the unpredictability), their home schedule looks to be a brutal one. Outside of the typical NFC East home and home, the Giants will host powerful defenses in both Arizona and San Francisco, while taking on a high powered offense in the Colts and what's sure to be a healthier and more improved Falcons team.

With the exception of traveling to Seattle — one of the most difficult places to play in the league — their away schedule, at first glance, appears to be much tamer. The Rams, although hard-hitting, seem to play at a lower level outside of the NFC West, while the Jaguars and Titans are … well, the Jaguars and Titans.

If Big Blue can come back healthy and with a revamped offensive line, our first instinct is to look at this schedule and think 10-11 wins. But that's thinking entirely too far ahead for right now.

Photo credit: MattBritt00 / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Football, Indianapolis Colts, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins

18 Responses to “New York Giants’ 2014 Opponents Now Officially Set”

Good christ… naturally we play Seattle away. That so totally figures.

Any update on Randle or Beatty ?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Randle removed himself from the game in fear of suffering a more serious injury. Beatty has a leg fracture, but no word on extent of injury and/or ligament damage just yet.

3.  kujo says:

This Beatty injury is tricky, because the severity of it could change a whole lot of assumptions going into this offseason. If the leg isn’t too bad, then there’s not really any reason why anything other than signing a solid veteran tackle for depth would be needed; however, if this fracture is bad enough to really take several months to heal, it would therefore screw up his whole offseason and place his status for preseason and the regular season into question. In that scenario, things could get very murky:

1) Do we draft a tackle at 12, or try to move up for one?

2) Do we sign a bigger name free agent to play left tackle?

3) Do we move Pugh to left and try to draft or sign someone to play right tackle?

There was going to be questions surrounding Beatty this offseason anyway, but I’ll say this–the image of Eli, injured, and walking around in a boot after the game should be blown up and placed into Reese’s office. Protecting Eli from this EVER happening again is our #1 priority this spring. Literally everything else come second.

•  Dirt says:

Well, he was on the field, inneffectively playing (10-24) in a meaningless game, so there’s that as an option for his protection.

•  Dirt says:

I’m still stunned that he was in the game. There are no excuses. Quarterbacks are already held to a different standard. They wear red jerseys in practice and no one is allowed within 10 yards of them. Why? Because it’s insane to subject them to injury in meaningless activity.

Yesterday was meaningless activity.

Just like regular season is a step faster than preseason, you telling me that everyone in yesterday’s game was playing at full speed, with the upcoming 4 month vacation? You can talk pride all you want, people were checked out. And those people were responsible for protecting our franchise quarterback.

Verily, he’s now injured. In an offseason in which he needed to focus on getting better, he now has to focus on rehab.

Brilliant.

4.  kujo says:

Jaworski is simply unwatchable this morning on Sportscenter. He’s like a pig in sh*t.

Geaux Saints!

5.  kujo says:

The Giants tight ends finished with a combined 634 receiving yards on 62 receptions and four touchdowns.

Per data from PFF, that’s the lowest passing game production by this unit since 2010 when Kevin Boss and Travis Beckum combined for 647 yards on 84 receptions and seven touchdowns.

What’s even worse is that Martellus Bennett, last year’s starter, caught 55 catches for 626 yards and five touchdowns, representing better production than the Giants’ 2013 tight ends combined.

Can we say “underwhelming?”

6.  James Stoll says:

So much to fix
    And still relying on the guys who got us here to get us out
    Questionable to say the least

7.  turkish says:

Schedule looks brutal to me. A lot of teams that underachieved like the Giants.

8.  kujo says:

Why should Tom Coughlin return?

“You tell me somebody that’s better prepared than he is,” Tuck said on Sunday. “And as far as players being in that locker room for nine years now, I haven’t seen him change not one bit as far as has he has this team prepared, how he prepares. I pride myself in being here pretty early on Wednesday through Friday and I never beat him here and I don’t think anybody is beating him here. This guy, he prepares his butt off and I think the fire is still there. I think he still feels like he has a lot to prove in this league and I think he’s going to go into this offseason just like all of us, figuring out ways to have a better season next year and I think you’re not going to find anybody that’s going to prepare a team as well as he does. Obviously I’m biased, but I damn sure hope that he’s manning the sidelines next year.” #NYG

•  turkish says:

Why should Gilbride return?

“I definitely don’t want change and think he’s a terrific offensive coordinator,” Manning told Newsday Wednesday. “Kevin has been my quarterback coach from Day One and my offensive coordinator. It’s been a lot of his offensive stuff from Day One.”
      Asked directly if he hopes Gilbride comes back, Manning said: “Yeah, of course. He’s my coach, the only one I’ve had, and that’s the offense I know.”

•  Dirt says:

Translation: I’ll be his captain regardless of how many consecutive years I underperform. I don’t know about the next guy.

9.  kujo says: