Washington Redskins’ Brian Orakpo a Game-Time Decision Vs. New York Giants

December 29th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

When final injury reports were officially released on Friday afternoon, the Washington Redskins listed only three players, one of whom was linebacker Brian Orakpo, who was designated as questionable with a groin injury.

Orakpo, who leads the Redskins with 10 sacks, suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a Week 16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. He was subsequently limited in practice on Tuesday, did not participate on Thursday and was again limited on Friday. Originally, he said something "miraculous" would have to happen for him to be able to play against the New York Giants, and that may now turn out to be the case.

Despite being listed as question and traveling with the team to New Jersey, Orakpo is considered a game-time decision.

“I wouldn’t say long shot, but you know, I just got to be realistic with the situation,” Orakpo said. “If it’s not where I want it to be, if it’s not healthy, then I’m not gonna play, but if it is, I’m gonna be out there with my teammates for the last game.”

Because it's the final game of the season for Washington, and because it could be the final game in burgundy and gold for several of his teammates, Orakpo refused to rule himself out prior to kickoff.

“That’s not me,” Orakpo said. “That’s not my M.O., man. I’m in treatment every day. Like I said, just trying to get better. like I said, if I’m able to play, I’m gonna play, regardless of this game really not mattering, really not meaning anything. We’ll see.”

Given the weather forecast for kickoff — heavy rain with 15+ MPH winds — and lack of importance of the game, it would be surprising if Orakpo wasn't listed as inactive and given the final week off to heal.

Photo credit: Keith Allison / Foter.com / CC BY-SA

Tags: Brian Orakpo, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins

12 Responses to “Washington Redskins’ Brian Orakpo a Game-Time Decision Vs. New York Giants”

1. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I double dog dare both Stoll and Turkish to say something genuinely positive about the Giants. Not something smart-assed, but something legitimately positive. And go…

•  turkish says:

Tough to do with this team. Just an awful season. On the positive side, it looks like there may be more cap room than usual after the fat is cut. Another positive would be any coaching change. ST, DC, OC HC…something.

Sorry Dan, my pompoms went in the closet in October.

•  turkish says:

Tuck had a nice bounce back season. I was impressed with him. Problem is, when a team is full of negatives it’s tough to find topics to be excited about.

•  turkish says:

BTW, I’m a “smart-****” by nature, can’t help it. Sorry if it offends you or anyone on here.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

If I can deal with Kujo, I can deal with you. I just wanted to see both of you say something legitimately positive.

•  turkish says:

My goal isn’t to be negative, I’m just very critical. I had HIGH hopes for this team (predicted 12-4). No doubt the anger and stress by October contributed to my bout with shingles. I’m a very passionate fan, and am very disappointed with his team.

I’m shocked that some argue Rolle wasn’t a probowler. PFF is a quality tool but their stat’s aren’t perfect. I feel Rolle played well the whole year. Eli’s stats weren’t as great in 2011 as his play. Rolle cleared played on a pro bowl level and will eventually be on the roster.

This Nicks talk is interesting. I understand Nosh’s viewpoint. But at a certain dollar amount Nicks is worth the probably gamble. I think it’s clear that when Cruz is our best WR we are not good enough. We need a #1 WR like Nicks has been. Do we sign Nicks to a Cruz type of contract that makes it basically a 2-3 year deal? It’s a gamble but if we are keeping Gillbride it makes sense. A rookie in this system is not going to be better than even this version of Nicks next year. We need 3 WRs so Randle being good isn’t a bonus is needed. Nicks is still only 26 so signing him isn’t signing some old guy. I think it simply comes down to keeping gillbride. I admit maybe I’m being sentimental but I rather keep Nicks and be wrong than see him walk and be wrong.

It’s funny talking about Nicks one of my favorite draft replacements would be Benjamin from FSU and the previous article pointing out he’s 23 makes the point he’s a lock to come out as a redshirt soph. But then I think about it and a redshirt soph who’s 23 contributing heavily in this system as a rookie, I don’t see it. Intelligence is the only way a rookie plays a lot in this system.

We have some tough decisions with Nicks and Tuck. Players that want to stay and have been as valuable as them are hard to let go.

I hope with Randle being banged up we give James a chance to return punts.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I don’t think that the decisions are all that tough. We are looking at a losing season in which a good portion of our wins came from playing against backup QB’s. Or backups to backups. Do we really need to keep this team together?

Everything depends on price, so if there is no interest on the open market, of course, it may make sense to bring one, or both Tuck and Nicks back. However, if anyone is going to offer substantial money to these guys we let them walk. One or two year deal max for either. Nicks should get an incentive laden deal with low guaranteed money. Nicks has done nothing for two seasons. While Tuck has played well this year, father time catches everyone.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

Today is an interesting matchup. I felt good about our chances last week, I couldn’t be more indifferent about today. I have a feeling many of the players feel the same way.

If I’m Orakpo, I’m getting on the field if I can hop on one leg and see out of one eye. Abusing Beatty = contract leverage.