When final injury reports were officially released on Friday afternoon, the Washington Redskins listed only three players, one of whom was linebacker Brian Orakpo, who was designated as questionable with a groin injury.
Orakpo, who leads the Redskins with 10 sacks, suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of a Week 16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. He was subsequently limited in practice on Tuesday, did not participate on Thursday and was again limited on Friday. Originally, he said something "miraculous" would have to happen for him to be able to play against the New York Giants, and that may now turn out to be the case.
Despite being listed as question and traveling with the team to New Jersey, Orakpo is considered a game-time decision.
“I wouldn’t say long shot, but you know, I just got to be realistic with the situation,” Orakpo said. “If it’s not where I want it to be, if it’s not healthy, then I’m not gonna play, but if it is, I’m gonna be out there with my teammates for the last game.”
Because it's the final game of the season for Washington, and because it could be the final game in burgundy and gold for several of his teammates, Orakpo refused to rule himself out prior to kickoff.
“That’s not me,” Orakpo said. “That’s not my M.O., man. I’m in treatment every day. Like I said, just trying to get better. like I said, if I’m able to play, I’m gonna play, regardless of this game really not mattering, really not meaning anything. We’ll see.”
Given the weather forecast for kickoff — heavy rain with 15+ MPH winds — and lack of importance of the game, it would be surprising if Orakpo wasn't listed as inactive and given the final week off to heal.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!Brian Orakpo, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins
- Washington Redskins not Relying on Eli Manning’s Slump; Expect Big Game from 2x Super Bowl MVP
- Referees Admit Mistake on Late Drive of Washington Redskins-New York Giants Game
- New York Giants-Washington Redskins Week 13 Game Will Remain on NBC’s Sunday Night Football
- Washington Redskins Will Stick with Struggling Robert Griffin III as Starter Vs. New York Giants
- New York Giants’ Michael Cox Will Be in Running Back Mix Vs. Washington Redskins
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1611