New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: Leader, Motivator & 2014 Pro Bowl Snub

December 29th, 2013 at 7:00 AM
By Jen Polashock

With one game left in the 2013 New York Giants season, safety Antrel Rolle has 93 tackles (76 solo), two sacks and six interceptions and one forced fumble. It’s rare that his number isn’t somewhere near the field of play.

While getting basically bashed over the years he’s worn blue, Rolle has never been shy about being himself or defending the “NY” he wears. What many fail to hear when they condemn him is that his words (albeit sometimes harsh) are based in passion and a want for the team, as an entire unit, to improve. He doles out “tough love” at times, but will fight for what he and who believes in, without waver. He stands his ground while speaking his heart and mind, which are both NY Giants. No. 26 is in deep. He’s All In.

Defensive end Justin Tuck is another defensive player that has helped Perry Fewell’s defense remain within the top 10-15 this season. With 57 tackles (37 solo) and nine sacks, one forced fumble and an interception, his quieter leadership on the field has helped the defensive line stop the run against the league’s better running backs. This is his best year since 2010. Tuck considered his teammate Rolle 2014 Pro Bowl-worthy.

“I hope so. I think we’ve got guys that have had years that warrant them an opportunity to go over there, and hopefully that happens for a couple guys," Tuck said. "I think he’s [Rolle] the top one, obviously. I think he’s our defensive MVP this year and I think he’s played Pro Bowl-ish. Absolutely.”

Head coach Tom Coughlin isn’t far from the same line of thinking. When asked about Rolle and the Pro Bowl prior to the roster announcements, his answer was brief, but very Giants-pride-like.

“He deserves to be a Pro Bowler the way he’s played. He’s had an outstanding season. It’s a source of pride and an honor to the organization to have a player recognized like that, and he is deserving," Coughlin said.

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell believes and has stated that both Rolle as well as Tuck deserved to be voted into the Pro Bowl.

Antrel Rolle’s answers regarding Tuck, the annual All-Star bowl game and his personal season were more off the cuff and, well, Rolle-like.

"We always see more than what the outside can see. … Our relationship, especially this year, has definitely grown to a totally different level…we saw eye to eye on pretty much everything," Rolle said of Tuck. "I think Justin Tuck has had an exceptional year. He’s battled a lot of injuries, sickness and so forth, and you would never know by his play on the field…I hope I can ride with that guy for a few more years.”

On his season and the Pro Bowl:

“It’s always a great accomplishment, but more importantly, I think my main goal and focus has always been how we produce as a team. It doesn’t take anything away from the Pro Bowl or my own personal accolades, but at the same time, I would give my left arm to be playing in the postseason right now. You have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good," he said prior to the roster announcements.

For those that took personal joy in writing negative quips and pieces on the great New York Giants’ safety over his tenure here in blue, one has to wonder what it would take to see what a true Giant Rolle is. Many would take 53 of him in a heartbeat.

Does the voting committee concur with ‘Trel’s coaches and teammates? Negative. As of approximately 9 PM EST on Friday, Rolle was not voted in…at least as a first. Second alternate was the designation. As for any fellow Giants teammates, well, none of them were either.

"Tell me which safety has better numbers and made more game changing plays than me this year? I'll wait! This Pro Bowl shit is a joke," Rolle tweeted after his snub. "That's why I play for myself, teammates, organization, family and fans. Nothing else matters. All this has done is added more fuel to my fire!"

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Tom Coughlin

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: Leader, Motivator & 2014 Pro Bowl Snub”

1.  James Stoll says:

Not too many people have bashed Rolle since he got here other than in response to some of the hyperbole he spews
    I for one was against the original signing and the cost of it. I was concerned that his time in Arizona was potentially more a product of playing next to Adrian Wilson and behind Carlos Dansby than it was his own talent
    But I was happy by the close of the 2011 campaign to see what he has become
    He is clearly the leader of the defense and despite the outsized contract he enjoys, he at least plays close to it

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Rolle actually gets more vile hatred than anyone not named Eli Manning or Justin Tuck (by Giants fans). It’s a sad epidemic.

Perhaps not so much here on the .com, but there’s a massive fanbase out there that share drastically different views than does this site.

2.  turkish says:

Still a big fan of his. Finished 3rd in fan voting, so the fans must appreciate him. No? Sounds like he fell short with the players and coaches.

3.  James Stoll says:

I’ve been thinking of a motto for 2014: “Everyone’s on notice. This time I mean it!”

•  turkish says:

If nothing changes, Reese loses a lot of credibility with me. You just can’t make that statement and do nothing.

•  James Stoll says:

You would think so
        But then again what are we hearing?
        Finish with pride
        Beat a 3-12 team playing it’s back up QB
        Finish with pride

Spin I tell you
        Spin

•  turkish says:

At the end of the day Mara will NOT be happy that his team did not make the playoffs in a year that the Super Bowl is on his turf. He fought HARD to get it to happen, and this team was pathetic. Worst Giants team I can remember in years.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Well, that’s sort of given since it’s the first losing season they’ve experienced since 2004.

•  turkish says:

2004 was fine for me. There was something to be excited about in Eli down the stretch. I was thinking more like 95-96. Seasons that just felt empty and hopeless.

4.  Dirt says:

The truth is, I doubt there are many people who have watched all 240 games to date and focused on the safety position in all of those 240 games to be able to give a real opinion. I know I haven’t.

Not to mention that the safety plays off the TV screen a majority of the time, which makes it even harder. So who’s studying the All 22s for all these games?

I have no idea what those boys in Seatte and Sh|tsburgh have done all year.

Thus, we’re all forced to look at his stats and say “these are Pro Bowl-esque.” Which they are.

•  turkish says:

Unless you study film like PFF does. Also players and coaches study film. They felt he wasn’t worthy either. Stats usually do get you the nod, but stats weren’t enough to convince the players and coaches. Only the fans. Truth is the fans know far less about the game than players and coaches do.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

PFF are fans, for what it’s worth.

•  turkish says:

Technically players and coaches are fans also. Difference is, most fans don’t study film and have an elaborate grading system as a career. There is a reason their credibility and statistical facts are referenced so often.

5.  turkish says:

Injuries are still a HUGE concern for me. We have a major problem in our strength and conditioning department. LOVE what Kelly has done in Philly, and think his S&C system will be adopted around the league. Truth is soft tissue injuries are preventable.

•  rlhjr says:

Florida State has a wonderful program that has paid off for them for years.
      The Giants should think about adopting the FSU system. It works. Also I think the medical staff might be a little suspect too. But lets start with a winning conditioning and strength program.

The NFLPA negotiated a decline in practice time. What the really did was make players more vulnerable to injury by taking them away from week to week conditioning. Team leaders must insure their respective units hold off the record practice session if for nothing else than to keep joints and muscles conditioned.

Finally if Godell and his merry men don’t fix the legal/illegal hit BS they put in place, the owners pet QB and receivers will be done playing in two years vs. five.
      Just ask Mr. fragile “Gronk”. He could be done because DB wont gamble their pay checks that the bogus ref’s are going to know a legal hit from a hole in the ground.

I love Rolle, but the Giants need “bigs” and linebackers to take on some of what Rolle is doing. The team need more “bad a$$e$” across the board. Vocal to the other team at times, but definitely willing to get in team mates grills and make them accountable for their caliber of play. Winning ball clubs have no shortage of that.