As expected, the New York Giants did place one of their remaining injured players on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) Wednesday, but it was not wide receiver Victor Cruz, who is officially out for the remainder of the year with a knee injury. Instead, the team opted to place rookie safety Cooper Taylor on IR due to a hamstring injury.
Taylor, a fifth-round pick of the Giants in April's NFL Draft, initially suffered the hamstring injury on December 8th in a loss to the San Diego Chargers. He was subsequently inactive against both the Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions, and now sees his rookie campaign come to an end after playing in 10 games.
To replace him on the 53-man roster, the Giants have signed guard Eric Herman off of their practice squad.
Herman, a seventh-round pick of the Giants in the same draft, was originally waived on August 31st as a part of final cuts, but signed to the practice squad only a day later and has remained there all season.
Finally, filling Herman's role on the practice squad is defensive back Travis Howard out of Ohio State, whom the Giants signed on Wednesday.
Prior to these moves, which will likely be the last of the season for Big Blue, the team had only $41,888 in remaining cap space. They also had $25.377 tied up in players on IR, as well as $9.106 million in dead money. Each of those, of course, will now go up.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!Cooper Taylor, Eric Herman, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Place David Baas on Injured Reserve; Re-Sign Darin Drakeford to Practice Squad
- New York Giants Lose Jawanza Starling to Texans; Sign LB Marcus Dowtin to Practice Squad
- Giants Sign Emmanuel Acho, not Adewale Ojomo, to Practice Squad; Worked Out Aaron Maybin, Others
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15xm