December 23rd, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The New York Giants found themselves in a unique and completely unexpected position on Sunday, forced to use back-up tight end Bear Pascoe in a running situation. With Peyton Hillis inactive due to a concussion, Brandon Jacobs and David Wilson already on Injured Reserve (IR), the team went into their Week 16 game against the Detroit Lions with only Andre Brown and rookie Michael Cox. So when Brown went down with a concussion of his own, the team was forced to improvise on the fly.

Following a sliding first down catch by wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan, the Giants went into hurry-up mode to avoid the the play being reviewed. Although ruled as a catch on the field, quarterback Eli Manning & Co. didn't want to risk it, so their only option was to get to the line and hand the rock to Pascoe, who was being used in place of Cox in pass protection.

“I think you have to. Fourth down, you can’t risk it. You kind of get a play run quickly and the fastest thing is to get a right call and it was something that we practiced,' Manning said. "Obviously, we don’t practice with that personnel since the fact that Bear into the passing game is because of Andre’s injury, but we just told him what to do and Bear has been here long enough. He knows everything that is going on. He’s out there holding on to the football and getting a few yards as well.”

For Pascoe, it was his first NFL carry and his first since playing quarterback in High School. Needless to say, the run served it's purpose, and only three plays later, Josh Brown would kick the game-winning field goal.

“I just lined up there and Eli said run it right there,” Pascoe said. “I ran it right there. I just made sure I didn't drop the ball."

Although it worked in this particular instance, it is a telling microcosm of the Giants' season. Injuries have devastated this team from top to bottom, and have forced them into a lot of bizarre personnel packages — none as strange as Bear Pascoe as a running back, however.

Given their current cap situation and their current injury situation, it'll be interesting to see how they approach their Week 17 game against the Washington Redskins. When all is said and done, Pascoe may find himself with a few additional carries and something else to add to his career resume.

photo credit: Marianne O'Leary via photopin cc

Tags: Andre Brown, Bear Pascoe, Brandon Jacobs, David Wilson, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Eli Manning, Football, Jerrel Jernigan, Michael Cox, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Hillis

14 Responses to “Bear Pascoe’s First NFL Carry a Product of Circumstance, New York Giants Injuries”

The Bear is versatile. He can play several positions … badly.

2.  Mike Force says:

I see that we’re celebrating the holiday of Festivus today by the Airing of Grievances on a previous thread. Mr Costanza salutes you Dan Benton!

3.  rlhjr says:

Dan Benton says:
    December 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    My fear is the opposite — I like a lot of the new commentors and hope they stick around. But they won’t if these personal attacks and back-and-forth continue. I’m hoping that we can continue to build on some of the recent discussions here and return things to the way of old.

To start the new year, we’re going to go all-out to wipe away garbage ads, redesign the site, make things easier and more user-friendly, etc. We’re gonna give it one last serious push and see what happens.

Dan
    I read “somewhere” a long time ago, that no mans hard work is ever in vain.
    That holds true even in the cyber world. No matter what you do, you can not exceed your best. It’s going to be fine.

4.  Ted Kwiecien says:

I dig the site! The popups are annoying but over love the second to second updates.
    I know everything that’s happening. I’m ok with the battles and disputes the fans have. It’s all out of love for BLUE!!!!
    Now one more win…and one more drop in the draft order haha!! We can’t even suck right!!

5.  kujo says:

I’ll tell you what turned me around.

(Pause for laughter)

Sometime last week, Jim was musing about he had longsince wondered whether Giants 101 could survive a truly terrible season, and that the last several months had nearly provided him with the answer he had always feared.

That gave me pause. It’s easy to point fingers at people or things that you disagree with. It’s even easier still to assign blame, saying “if only __________ was different, things would be better.” But it’s tougher to accept some blame.

The vast majority of people on Giants 101 have known each other on and off-line for the better part of the past decade. A great many of us communicate constantly throughout the day, sharing in each other’s lives, and only tangentially discussing New York Giants football. Thus, when we come on Giants 101, and don the proverbial “online persona” it’s almost an act, a joke that we are all in on.

Or mostly in on…

I realized that there are several people on here that don’t know me at all. They don’t know that 99.9999% of the time, I am using my ridiculously over-the-top-vulgar sense of humor to break balls. As many will attest, I have taken nearly as much as I’ve given over the years (i.e.- the meatlocker incident, the original O vs P debates, the “Draft a Center” debacle). I’ve got real thick skin, and I love getting destroyed with a well-crafted joke or insult.

But a lot of people don’t dig my brand of humor, and still others don’t know that I am really just a wiseass who actually cares a great deal for this site and the people on it. Consequently, they can hardly be faulted for being offput by my rabble rousing, particularly when I admittedly take things way too far (see: my comments towards Chad, SkinnyDoogan, Jim and Stu last Sunday night).

So I’ve decided to do my part to prove Jim wrong. This team could go winless, and it wouldn’t matter–this is a family, a dysfunctional, diverse, and oddly-masculine family. We need to knit this thing together, or the work that Benton and a whole host of people have done over the years will be undone. And by what, a bunch of angry idiots who like football and wisecracks?

I won’t carry that guilt. Will you?

•  turkish says:

Your sense of humor is gold to me brother :)

•  GIANTT says:

With all your references to the similarities between some of the posters and various female parts Im very surprised that something like “oddly masculine ” would work its way in to your comments .
      But seriously , maybe Im old and naive in the ways of online posting but I do try and treat people with a certain amount of respect or lets put it that I try not to post something that I wouldnt say to someone face-to-face . I have a certain sense of humor which I find very necessary in todays world and some of it drips into my posts
      Any criticism from me should ALWAYS be treated with the sense of sarcasm that I imbue into my interaction with people (Heres to you Jim Stoll ) and I find it difficult to understand why fans would attack each other and come on here with an agenda that bears more of a relationship to hate group invective than to a group of some time fans who have a passionate interest in their team

6.  kujo says:

As for Bear, I can’t figure out how that 1 insignificant carry didn’t go to Conner. I legitimately don’t get it.

This coaching staff, and their offensive scheme, their rigid ideology, and their textbook inside-the-box/aversion-to-innovation mentality, costs us at least 2 games every season. I love Coughlin, but Gilbride should be forced out.