December 20th, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The New York Giants released their final injury report on Friday afternoon, and as expected, wide receiver Victor Cruz (knee) has been ruled out against the Detroit Lions and will miss the remainder of the season. The team will also be without running back Peyton Hillis (concussion), defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder) and safety Cooper Taylor (hamstring), who have all been ruled out for Sunday as well.

In addition to the players already ruled out, the Giants listed offensive lineman David Diehl (knee) as doubtful, while guard James Brewer (ankle) and wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan (ankle) are each listed as questionable.

The good news is that cornerbacks Terrell Thomas (knee) and Trumaine McBride (hamstring), as well as defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins (shin/quad) all practiced on consecutive days and are listed as probable for Sunday.

In the event both Diehl and Brewer don't play come Sunday, the Giants will likely go with Dallas Reynolds and Brandon Mosley as their starting guards (or Reynolds to center and Kevin Boothe back to guard). Meanwhile, if Jernigan can't suit up against the Lions, Julian Talley, who was recently signed off of the practice squad, would likely start as the slot receiver.

"He'll get some chances [on Sunday]," Coughlin said of Talley.

photo credit: MattBritt00 via photopin cc

Tags: Cooper Taylor, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Hillis, Victor Cruz

Related posts

8 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz, Jason Pierre-Paul & Two Others Out Vs. Detroit Lions”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    December 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Repost:

The NFL changes too much every year to give up on 2014 before it starts. Our division sucks. The Philly system over the offseason will be figured up better. Dallas and the Redskins have as many or more issues than we do. There’s a lot to do for us to return to being a good football team again but I think we definitely need some new energy. Whether that comes from just new players or coaches I don’t know but I don’t think we have had great energy since we won the SB. What made the 2011 team was the fight it always had. You never felt a game was over because we always were in game until the end. We need to get that back.

I do think JR is a quality GM. I think some are missing the depth that he has provided every year until this year. Given the mass of injuries we have suffered every year until this year it’s been because of JR’s depth we have still be able to win. But what he did this year didn’t work. It was a disaster giving Cruz and contract while making our #1 WR play out his deal. It didn’t work having all these players on one year deals on the field or from a team chemistry standpoint.

I think for JR next year is easier as a GM because we had a bad year so he’s free not re-sign someone like Nicks and to let go of vets like Snee and Kiwi (or Tuck). we had been winning so the thought has been just add a few pieces but don’t rip the core apart. After a year like this everything gets re-examined and that’s probably a good thing.

I think JPP should be locked up long term if we re-sign Joseph. I worry about having Joseph being paid and JPP not turning out like the Nicks, Cruz situation. I understand JPP is a risk now but by signing him we should be able to get a big discount over what it would have cost a year ago. We need to take care of our core guys. The Nicks situation has to be used as a learning experience.

And finally I’m coming to the point that I think removing TC would be best. The latest reason is that JR didn’t hire TC and if he’s going to be here long term as it appears he should be allowed to bring in his guy. While TC was winning there was no way you could make a change just to appease JR. But now it makes since. There is just too much disconnect with personnel and how players are used. I think only because it’s the Giants we haven’t heard whispers but I think our young guys not playing is TC not being on board as much as it is being old school. It seems that the team just needs new leadership. We at least need a new voice in the room between the HC, OC and DC.

rlhjr says:
    December 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    With players and coaches, it’s better to let them go a year too early, than a year too late. The only coach I want to replace Coughlin is the Stanford coach.
    He “GET’S” how to play physical football on both sides of the line.

He also will have a head start on identifing and drafting the type of kids who can play the type of football needed here. By far NO ONE from the colligate ranks is better suited to play Giants football, and add a dash of innovation that is so desperately needed by this team. David Shaw is the man.

I’m sure Chip Kelly would be “overjoyed” to see Shaw in Blue.

I think in many ways TC deserves to stay for what he’s done but it’s better to be safe and let him go now.

Shaw is my number 1 choice too. I do think Bill O’Brien is also a good choice. The sleeper option could be Sulivan our former QB coach and the Tampa OC. He’s a coaching riser and is familiar with our organization but a different voice and young enough to grow into the role.

2.  jb322 says:

If we can get TC to step down, I don’t think you can go wrong with either Sullivan or Shaw. I love the physicality Shaw brings and I think Sullivan is one hell of a coach. Shaw might be the kind of guy that people like Brewer and Mosely really step up and excel for. I see alot of players on our team that would really fit his style of play.

3.  jerseyrich says:

With where we are likely to pick….7-11…..I don’t see all of the stud tackles being gone. Its obviously all speculation as none of us know how any of these guys will pan out, but I for one will not be too happy if one of the big tackles is on the board when we pick and we go in a different direction. Mathews should be gone but at least one of the next group, not necessarily Lewan or Kouandjio, who should be there. O-lineman are historically the surest bet of the first round. To go WR or CB that high (or God forbid d-line) I believe would be a mistake if these guys are still available.

With all the holes we’ve got you can argue almost any position.

•  jerseyrich says:

I think we have to look at it from position of most need. On a scale of 1-10 id assign the db’s a 4, the lb’s a 4 (with beason), the DL a 5, the wr’s/te’s a 4 (without nicks), the rb’s a 4 (with a healthy Wilson), and QB a 7 (because I still believe in eli). The o-line is a ONE and that’s being generous.

There are golf-ball sized holes, basketball sized holes…..and Grand Canyon sized holes.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Lewen stock has slipped signifcantly. and Kouadnjio while on the rise isn’t really that worthy of a pick there. This draft isn’t stocked with great OT’s, anyway. I’d pass on OT and either trade up in the draft or go get one VIA FA.

With Nicks likely gone, Cruz coming off a knee surgery, Randle is the only WR that is a starter at this time. There will be VERY good value at WR available when we pick.

4.  JimStoll says:

I am beginning to think the BPA approach is bad
    unless the guy is an LT/Andrew Luck-like flat out can’t miss stud, better to draft for need and need alone
    everything is such a crap shoot with the draft that drafting value over need can result in gaping holes in one unit; overloads in another, and too much wait for next year type of players