December 18th, 2013 at 11:15 AM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium for his weekly press conference in a matter-of-fact, let's get this over with type of mood. He wasted no time by immediately addressing the injury situation prior to a single member of the media even speaking.

'Tom Coughlin watches from the sideline' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The Giants' pre-practice injury report was a big one, with several new additions, including the following players: offensive linemen James Brewer (ankle) and David Diehl (knee), wide receivers Jerrel Jernigan (knee) and Victor Cruz (knee/concussion), running back Peyton Hillis (concussion), defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins (shin/quad), cornerbacks Trumaine McBride (groin) and Terrell Thomas (knee), defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder) and safety Cooper Taylor (hamstring).

Of the players listed on the pre-practice injury report, absolutely none of them will practice on Wednesday.

"[Practice] will be adjusted. We'll do half-speed work and half-jog through," Coughlin says. "You want to roll the dice? Anyone who comes through the doors we'll be happy to wrap our arms around."

Coughlin adds that Thomas will likely return on Thursday after his normal day of rest, but suggests that even in the event Cruz passes his concussion test, the knee injury will "prevent him from doing much" of anything. And, in all likelihood, that means he'll be inactive come Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions.

Additionally, Coughlin admitted to sitting down with quarterback Eli Manning to see if he wanted to play on Sunday. The concern being that the offensive line, due to injury, will likely be reshuffled yet again. Of course, Manning didn't hesitate and said he wants to play, which prompted relentless questions about Manning's struggles this season.

"No one person loses a football game. First culprit is the head coach, so blame me. It's not all his fault," he said. "I feel badly for Eli that he has to constantly answer these questions."

The veteran head coach also said he expects everyone to come out and play their asses off on Sunday, having reminded them all that "the name on the front of your [jersey] is more important than the name on the back."

Finally, Coughlin was asked about Lions defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and whether or not he feels Suh is a dirty player. The answer, emphatically, was no.

"He's a tough, hard-nosed, attack the line of scrimmage kind of a player," Coughlin said, adding that he has no problem with how Suh plays.

And with that, it was time for practice.

Tags: Cooper Taylor, Cullen Jenkins, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Eli Manning, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerrel Jernigan, Ndamukong Suh, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Trumaine McBride, Victor Cruz

27 Responses to “New York Giants Still Adjusting Due to Injuries & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

SkinnyDoogie –

Eli is the toughest offensive player in the NFL. If he’s taking too many hits out there, they’ll pull him.

But I think they’ll end up pulling him at the half once the Lions are beating us by 21.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I agree BBG I am not doubting Eli’s toughness, I am doubting he can withstand the brutal beating they will dish out coming angry after the Raven loss. I still have faith in Eli, I see little need to get him killed in a basically worthless game.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I actually think they have a shot in this game. I know it defies all logic, but I’m just not sold on Lions. They have a culture of failure in Detroit. It is an ugly monster that rears its head at the worst possible times. The Lions could find a way to lose.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

nah….. Not this Giants team.

They’re gonna get blown out.

I’m not trying to be negative on them, but just realistic, Detroit is in a must win situation. Our offense turns the ball over too much and can’t score. Detroit has a good defense, and their offense is pretty good. If Stafford doesn’t throw more INT’s than Eli it’s just a matter of how much do we lose by?

2.  Chad Eldred says:

I would absolutely sit Manning. While I think that Coughlin should override him, I applaud him for having entertained the thought. It shows sanity.

Interesting how things winds change. It a week ago those who suggested we start shutting things down were tin-foil hat wearing loons. Cruz and Manning should have been on the bench last week and should not see the field for the rest of the season. I don’t care what the “old-school” philosophy dictates. It doesn’t require a complicated cost-benefit analysis, since in this case there is no benefit.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I stated in the previous thread we should put Painter or Nassib in, preferably Painter due to the fact that putting Nassib in now behind that line would probably ruin his development and career.

Eli should have decision rights over whether he plays when he has decision rights over the offense he leads and the plays he calls. Are you kidding me? If it’s in the long-term interests of the franchise that the most important player on the team be protected from a ferocious pass rush that will be opposed by guys who couldn’t block a good college team’s front four, then why isn’t the Head Coach sitting his greatest asset? You want to keep his consecutive game streak alive? Fine. Play him in the first quarter and call passes ONLY on first down, and run the ball if it is ever second- or third-and-more-than-two yards. Then take him out.

Protect Eli. Forget the outcome. And, oh yeah, play the damned youngsters. Get Mosley out there under fire. Herman too, if possible. Get Moore plenty of playing time. Keep Hosley on the field all game to see how he does. Play Donnell and Robinson if they can walk.

And just btw, for what it’s worth, they’d have been better off for significant parts of this season playing Murphy in place of Nicks and throwing a deep ball toward Murphy early enough in the first quarter to stretch the defense from that point forward. You guys who want to judge what a player can do for a team without having seen him get any opportunity are nuts. And don’t give me “the coaches didn’t think he could play”. You mean those same coaches you think stink and should be run out of town? You cannot have it both ways.

•  JimStoll says:

FF

I took a gentle potshot at you last thread for the Murphy optimism you were promoting in the offseason

but the notion that the giants could have thrown long to Murphy at any time in the season during the first Q ignores all those instantaneous sacks that began with the Carolina game

•  Fran2Eli says:

FF, I feel your pain

•  Chad Eldred says:

Agree on Eli. I am still surprised that Coughlin considered whether or not he should play, but really all he did was give himself cover if something happens to Eli. I mean, seriously, what did he expect Eli to say?

I disagree on Eli. You don’t play football like that. If the OL looks like they did int he Carolina game then maybe you have to sit him at some point but you don’t play not to get Eli hurt when the game is in question. Especially not for Painter. If we wanted to look at Nassib i’m still not for it but at least that makes some sense.

4.  JimStoll says:

JimStoll says:
    December 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    In all seriousness, my game plan for Sunday is run, run, if 3d and 5 or greater, run again

skinnydoogan says:
    December 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    So the shotgun draw.

skinnydoogan says:
    December 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    SInce we really can’t run anything else with any degree of effectiveness.

JimStoll says:
    December 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    love the shotgun draw for sunday

the only important thing for the next two games is to try and avoid injury, especially to eli

as hard as I am on eli because of his last 2 seasons and his contract, without him we are 100x worse than we are right now

so run run run and run

then punt punt punt and punt

and lose by 100
    who cares
    Detroit has a psychopath playing DT
    we don’t need to risk anything on the oft chance that this o-line can suddenly step up and play at a professional level

5.  Syed Sohail Shah says:

My biggest question on offense out of pure curiosity is why did we ever sign Louis Murphy? He was supposed to add a “vertical” threat and blow the top of defenses. I Remeber golbride or someone talking about how excited they were to have him. But he has done nothing all year. With Nicks not doing anything, I wouldn’t have mind seeing him out there we’d have nothing to lose. Jernigan did more last game than Murphy did all year

BBG – my point on JJ was never that’s he’s great but I did think and still think he can be an effective slot WR. And I think we are starting to see on the field evidence of that. The issue is that he’s not what we need with Cruz here long term. He’s fine as a 5th or 6th WR but he’s not even part of the solution for replacing Nicks.

I thought Murphy would be good for us not because he was great but because as our 4th WR the other WRs would take up so much coverage that he would be successful. It’s possible I could have been right but I grossly overrated what our top 3 WRs would provide, especially Nicks so Murphy having an impact never had a chance. Look at Ginn in Carolina, he still has his faults but he’s an effective weapon for them. That’s all I thought Murphy could bring.

Cruz, Randle and maybe Jernigan will be here next year. So we need 3-4 WRs. We have to sign at least one vet. I think MM could be very cost effective. Then we probably sign a failed WR like Hagan or Devon Thomas were. Add a high round pick then one later round and or free agent rookie.

A WR that might be willing to sign a cheap short term deal that could be good is Maclin. I’m not a huge fan but we could use some real speed in our corps and he probably will have to sign a MM type deal form 2 years ago which would be worth the gamble. Or another gamble that has upside would be Kenny Britt.

7.  GIANTT says:

Syed , I think you answered your own question . If the first stringers and WRs ahead of Murphy werent able to produce , what makes you think that Murphy could have done anything ?

8.  Syed Sohail Shah says:

I would def love to bring back manningham, I don’t know if we would be able to afford him though. Also if we move on from Nicks do we use a first round pick on a WR? Our I line by far is the biggest problem. Just two years ago eli had all day on the pocket to throw and were killing defenses. How quick things can change

9.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Anyone suggesting at this point that Robinson is the possible solution at TE for us is an idiot. Either that, or JR and this coaching staff are the idiots. The kid doesn’t even dress – so either he IS good and this coaching staff is even more inept than even the most pessimistic fan could imagine…or he just flat out sucks. Same goes for Donnell. The guy dresses, but has shown VERY little. And with Meyers “production” this season – it shouldn’t have been terribly hard to see the field. TE is a VERY glaring need on this team. Letting Bennett walk was one of Reese’s biggest blunders as a GM.

CB is another VERY glaring weakness on this team. Prince has the ability to be a SOLID #2 CB and Hosley has the look of a solid slot CB…but beyond that, we need serious help. I do like what little bit I have seen of Charles James…but he is another smaller guy…and more of a KR. I maintain that we should draft Dennard with our first round pick in April. I think that the kid has superstar potential and would help solidify our secondary. I would also take another guy, depending on the value…anywhere between 3-6. I’d also look at guys like Antoine Cason and Tracy Porter in FA if we could sign them to reasonable deals.

Everyone knows this OL is the worst unit on the team. There’s no hiding it. I have long banged the drum to go big after Alex Mack in the offseason, but now I have another idea. I would target 2 of the best starting OG’s in FA (Jon Asamoah and Wade Smith) and lock down both of those guys. Re-sign Boothe to a 1-2 year deal and then draft a center in round 3-4. Many STARTING caliber centers can be found in the middle rounds of the draft every year. This would enable us to retain Baas for one more year, giving our future center a year to learn with Boothe in place as a very solid backup for when Baas injures himself tying his shoes. Last year, rather than trading up to get Nassib I maintained that the team should have targets Brian Schwenke (who we still would have had to move to select, but has started every game for Tennessee this year) or Barrett Jones, who has had somewhat of a red-shirt year in St. Louis. We need a MINIMUM of 2 new STARTERS on this OL next season, from game 1…if not 3. If not, we’re in for another long year.

Finally, to all those still defending the schemes ran by the team, look at it this way. Teams led by backup QB’s are posting 40 points a game. A team that won 2 games last season is now one of the best teams in the league with a new coaching staff. Carolina straight up said they knew what was coming because nothing had changed and Blackburn knew all of the calls. Our playcalling is STALE and completely un-innovative (if that’s a word) and DOESN’T WORK! At this point, Eli MAY have 6 good years left IF we restore the OL. We need an innovator at OC who will simplify the playbook to get the most out of our playmakers and put points on the board. Nicks is gone. You cannot convince me otherwise. Meaning that at some point in the draft or FA that we will grab his successor; whoever that is needs to be able to come in and contribute IMMEDIATELY. At this point, any year squandered over the stubbornness and refusal to switch things up is just taking away from a potential run at the title. We need to maximize the time we have left with Eli as our signal caller – keeping this system in place is just going to result in the same failure, and is thus just a waste of time.

10.  jfunk says:

Re: Louis Murphy:

The “excitement”, if it can really be called that, about him was based on the assumption that he was going to be the FOURTH receiver in what was already an effective passing attack.

We didn’t learn anything about Murphy this year (good or bad) because we never remotely came close to having the opportunity to put him in that position. I see no reason to believe he wouldn’t have been perfectly effective in that role if the rest of the team had created that predicted environment.

If all he did was run straight go patterns up the seam while Nicks, Cruz, and Randle were playing some reasonable facsimile of the 2011 Nicks, Cruz, Manningham trio, that certainly would have been a deadly passing attack. Murphy would by default have taken the deep safety out of the play (stay on top of him or give up a TD being the only two options the deep safety is given).

However, it turns out that in order for any of this to take place, you must be able to pass block for more than 1.5 seconds. Who knew?

•  jfunk says:

And as much as I hate stat-mongering, I don’t see how you can possibly bench the NFL’s reigning iron man who has never missed a game in his entire career.

Sit him down the first time he takes a hit if you want, but you have to let him start.

•  jfunk says:

And suit up Nassib for god’s sake.

In the event Eli sits after 1 quarter and Painter is taken off in a stretcher in the 4th…let’s have another live arm to throw to the dogs.

Failing that, let Jerrel Jernigan or David Diehl play QB.