Can Hakeem Nicks Redeem His Value in Final Two Weeks for the New York Giants?

December 18th, 2013 at 3:14 PM
By Doug Rush

In the final year of his contract, a lot of people around football had very high expectations for Hakeem Nicks, but it has barely been a season to remember for the New York Giants number one wide receiver.

Nicks, who had battled injuries all during the 2012 and hampered his production last season, came into 2013 and while he has been healthy, has barely been the player the Giants were hoping, as he has 50 catches for 794 yards but no touchdowns in 14 games played; Nicks has yet to have a season in his five years where he has been held without a touchdown, yet he's in danger of having that happen in 2013.

With his work ethic on the field being questioned and his desire to remain in New Jersey being called into question as well, some have wondered if the Giants will even make a serious attempt to re-sign Nicks in the offseason and will simply let him walk away as a free agent.

However, there are two games remaining left on the Giants regular season schedule and not all is completely lost for the the 25-year-old former first round pick out of North Carolina, especially if Victor Cruz will be out for those two games. Cruz is dealing with a concussion and an ankle injury that he suffered against the Seattle Seahawks this past Sunday and he could miss the team's next game against the Detroit Lions, which would really increase Nicks' role in the offense without Cruz.

All of the normal plays and pass targets that Eli Manning would go to Cruz for, may end up going to Nicks, and it could give him a chance to show the league and the Giants that he is still a number one receiver, despite his numbers being more of a number two receiver this season.

These last two games may be a breaking point for Nicks in his future; as he is 206 yards away from hitting 1,000 yards receiving, something that could help his value on the market, but the no touchdowns scored this season is what has been hurting his value all year long, but with Cruz likely on the sidelines for the final two weeks, Nicks has been given a golden opportunity.

Maybe in the final two weeks, Nicks rediscovers his play-making ability and gives the Giants two great games where he goes for over 100-plus yards and finally gets into the end zone for a touchdown and really forces the hand of the Giants to either pay up in the offseason or have another team pay up for his services.

Up first for Nicks is the Lions, who have been prone to giving up a lot of points and yards, so Manning might be able to take advantage of the reeling Lions and find his number one receiver for several targets and catches this Sunday. If anything, Nicks has to hope so, considering his future in the NFL and potentially, with the Giants is counting on it.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Detroit Lions, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, Victor Cruz

Related posts

15 Responses to “Can Hakeem Nicks Redeem His Value in Final Two Weeks for the New York Giants?”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

real question is, Does he want to “redeem” his value?

He definitely wants to add to his value … so that he gets a good contract. But it won’t be with us.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

well, for a guy that wants to add to his value, his effort has been crap. And teams see that.

he won’t get what he wants. But some team will offer him a fair deal. I don’t see him getting Mike Wallace type money. Maybe if he tried, wasn’t injured constantly and performed like he did 2 years ago. he’ll get money from some team, just don’t think he will get what he’s expecting.

I also expect that once he leaves, he bad mouths Eli, TC, Gilbride, JR, and everyone else on the NYG.

•  JimStoll says:

don’t know about the bad mouth part; he doesn’t seem to be that kind of guy
          what’s our compensatory for him?

Sounds funny but I agree with Jim. I agree with the other aspects but Nicks was put into a tough situation. His undrafted free agent WR teammate gets paid while he’s more proven and doesn’t. Then has has an injury issue he has to protect against.

Still I’m upset with him about his effort because I feel that we easily have another win or two if the real Nicks had showed up even with all of our other issues.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was made inactive the final 2 games. What Eli said was in Eli language calling him out for piss poor effort. And TC did the same. It also makes sense to look at Randle as a #1 WR without Cruz and to see what Jerngan and Talley can do in an expanded role.

•  JimStoll says:

that’s why if I’m Gilbride I call 33 consecutive running plays, 10 of which can be reverses if he likes, and 3 RB options

a good day would be for Eli to go 0 for 0 for 0 yards 0 td’s and 0 picks

2.  Ditch Digger says:

I wanted to say something quickly about JR and the TE situation. I don’t view it as a mistake at all that he let Bennett walk. It was clear from the start that Bennett was going to go wherever the money was, and the fact is the Giants as an organization were up against the cap. Bennett signed a 4 year, 16.5MM contract with the bears- 8.5 million guaranteed.

By contrast, Brandon Meyers cost us what, 2.5 million or so on what amounts to a 1 year deal?

And don’t get me wrong, I loved Bennett, but we’re writing some pretty revisionist history on the guy. He was good, not great, and rarely came through in clutch moments ala Jake Ballard. It’s clear we can get TE’s for bottom dollar and allow them to succeed in our system. We’re not gonna break the bank on that position, just the way it is.

I don’t disagree with the decision to let Bennett walk. I do hate the Meyers signing in retrospect, and do wish we had found someone better to replace Bennett.

I think Bennett’s value was underestimated by some here. Bennett was better in my opinion than the loved Ballard. Bennett did drop some balls but he also made plays like in the Tampa game. I think he played the last part of the year with an injury that hurt his effectiveness. But what Bennett still provided was a superior blocker which shows in our rushing numbers that sucked in both 2011 and 2013. And I think his speed and athleticism provided a bigger threat to defenses that helped open things up for others. Sadly because of fantasy football some will just not realize how good a TE Bennett is in a system like ours. I don’t think there was anyone that was going to replace what Bennett provided for us. I never liked Myers but I had hope, unfortunately my gut was right about him.

I think Pettigew is a good fit with us because he’s not going to break the bank but he can be a better Ballard in our system. With their rookie playing so well I see him being available. There are not many teams that covet his style of TE like we do.

•  Ditch Digger says:

I agree- he was a tremendous blocker. I remember back when he played in Dallas, run plays in which he was the lead blocker averaged something like 1+ YPC greater than those where Witten was the lead blocker. You’re right about the injury too.

And I wouldn’t argue that Ballard was a better all around TE either. He had some of the softest hands Eli’s ever thrown at, that’s for sure, and was a decent blocker, but he isn’t even close to Bennett in terms of the physical skills.

Bennett was probably the best TE we’ve had since Shockey in terms of his physical attributes, no question, but I think he left something to be desired in the passing game. Not to say he doesn’t have the potential to improve in that area, but despite the number of balls he caught he just never came up with them when they were critical plays it seemed.

But I do think JR tried very hard to retain him and simply couldn’t go as high as he needed to in order to seal the deal, and I think that’s the right call. I bet he would agree with your analysis, as I largely do, but that doesn’t change how much we could afford with the Cruz deal looming.

King – I agree Robinson should be playing but that’s just not TC’s way. I hope with the Myers complains last week that opens the door to play Robinson. I really want to see him and Donnell play the top 2 TE positions the last two games. We know the blocking can’t get worse. Same argument is true for Diehl and Mosley.

I also really want to see James return punts. He showed something in preseason and I think we should find out how he can do with the lights on. No way Randle should be the returner again because he’s not good at it and he’s our starting WR.

Much like Bennett the team mishandled Nicks. Bennett should have been offered a deal before he hit free agency. We put him in a highest bidder situation by our inactivity. We didn’t leverage our position when we had the chance. Same with Nicks. We’ve showed no interest in him. So it hardly comes as a surprise that he’s returned the favor.

5.  LUZZ says:

I wonder if there is any shot we get Mario back? I don’t think he’s loved by Harbaugh. He doesn’t seem to get many balls thrown his way.

I happen to think he’s better than Crabtree, but SF doesn’t see it that way.

6.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Sucks Cruz won’t get his 1000 year season on the stupid hit those Seahawks out on him

7.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

I hope Cruz plays the last game just to get the 1000 yards. Ooh and by the way Eli wants gilbride back soo guess we are stuck with him at least another year.

8.  stuh says:

If Eli wants Gilbride back then those of us who thought it was the play calling that was hurting Eli and wanted to see him in another system may be wrong. It’s possible that Eli has become a 2nd or 3rd string QB. If Reese has any pull around here and he has the balls he shouldn’t care what Eli wants.
    As for Robinson he hasn’t seen the field in 2 years do you think Coughlin and his stooge are going to play him when the end of their careers may be at stake?