New York Giants’ Brandon Myers on His Tweets: “I’m not Good with Words”

December 17th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Following Sunday's 23-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, New York Giants tight end Brandon Myers took to Twitter and vented after what appeared to be a locker-room altercation with an unknown teammate (some speculate that it was safety Antrel Rolle). His words were very specific and detailed, recounting an obvious disagreement with someone.

"Getting cussed out for encouraging ppl am telling them they did a good job is mind blowing," Myers tweeted. "If ppl on this team wanna take shots at me an say I have no passion they are mistaken. I give everything I have each an every week."

On Monday, Myers backtracked on his tweets, telling the media the entire thing was, essentially, taken out of context. He claims it had nothing to do with a specific person or situation; that it was just a way to vent his frustration over the team losing.

"I’m not very good with my words. It wasn’t in reaction to somebody, it was just being frustrated. I used poor words, I used poor judgment. I should have just waited until today. Everyone’s talking about what we can do to get better and move on," Myers said.

Asked if he could understand how those words would be misinterpreted, Myers agreed, saying "Absolutely, and once I looked back on it, if you could take it back, you would but you can’t. Man up to it and move on."

Meanwhile, the aforementioned Antrel Rolle didn't back off of his Sunday comments, and quarterback Eli Manning admitted they were just. However, head coach Tom Coughlin wasn't overly thrilled with them, Myers' comments or even his own. Having had a day to reflect on the game, watch the tape and mull postgame press conferences, Coughlin felt he and several players jumped to conclusions and said things that should have never been spoken.

"That [stuff] is not for the public. This is a family. You stay within the family," Coughlin said. "I’m sure [Antrel] will go to the people that he needs to and discuss it or talk it out and it won’t be an issue. But you have to understand in our game, to generalize, you can’t do it. I can’t do it because you’re always going to find someone that it doesn’t apply to and that’s the nature of it."

For the time being, the Giants seem to have put a cork in it — avoiding what could have been a tremendous blowout in the media. But it's now obvious to all those watching that a rift has been created in the locker-room as a result of their first losing season since 2004, and that players/coaches seem to be on different wave lengths.

But, to his credit, Coughlin manned up, admitted his own mistake and silenced his team within 24 hours. Now the real key will be to hold that silence for the remaining two weeks of their season.

Photo credit: 34lizard / Photobucket / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Brandon Myers, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Tom Coughlin

22 Responses to “New York Giants’ Brandon Myers on His Tweets: “I’m not Good with Words””

1.  JimStoll says:

Ugh!
    2 more weks

The Lions will be angry now too. Not a pretty picture.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yep, I’ll bet Eli is already waking up in a screaming nightmare and looking under his bed for the Lions D-line. You can bet they are watching film on our offensive (stress offensive) line and are scheming ways to have Eli carted off the field right now.

Yeah our win total from 2008-2012 had more to do with a consistently top offense not doing enough than a not even average defense most years and/or our special teams unit. Yeah that sounds 100% right.

He’s not all that great on blocking or YAC either.

What’s tough to figure is how changes will impact other problems. Obviously pumping up the OL is priority-1, but that should also help the TE situation and the running game. Drafting a top CB seems like a good idea, but most of the good ones are press/man guys and may not fit into our puzzified defense. Same can be said for DE.

You know it’s no accident than many of the top teams play it fairly simple on both sides of the ball … but with a high degree of aggression. We’re kind of the opposite of that.

•  JimStoll says:

this giants team is and has been an enigma for Coughlin’s entire tenure
      on the one hand they have for years been a top offense in terms of amassing yards, and in some years a top scoring offense; yet they’ve always struggled inside the 20
      at times they’ve sported a top pass rushing defense but yet can never seem to close teams out
      they are forever at or about .500 in their regular season record; they’ve been bounced 3x in the first round of the playoffs; and yet they’ve had 2 remarkable super bowl runs against impossible odds
      for the most part they’ve seemed to have had talent; this year of course the opposite seems more true

I’ve never thought Coughlin’s overall body of work was that much better than Jim Fassel’s, and Fassel had precious little talent to work with, especially at QB, but a much better coaching staff — Jon Fox; Sean Peyton. Again, I’ve often said I feel Coughlin has done less with more.

There are those two trophies, however…………

5.  Michael Cervellino says:

Agreed. I don’t care if there is a BPA when we pick, if that first choice is anything but an offensive lineman, there should be an internal investigation. Harry Carson said it right, “Get 5 of the nastiest SOB’s you can find and put them on the offensive line, that’s how you form a team.” This is the year of the tackle. Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio, Greg Robinson (if he declares he’s a fast riser), Cameron Erving, Tiny Richardson. Pick one. And if you came back in Round 2 and took a guard like David Yankey I wouldn’t be upset. And while you’re at it, center Alex Mack of Cleveland is a UFA. Our abysmal O-line is job 1.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Get ready for the internal investigation. The overwhelming evidence suggests (other than this past year) that JR will be looking for something else.

6.  Fran2Eli says:

It’s discouraging that many of you make sense that I might have to endure this coaching staff coming back for 2014. I can’t feel any lower about a team I have bleed blue over for 45 years. This mess has gotten old. Flat out this team’s mind set needs to be reinvigorated by a fresh start with new leadership. Why wait another year on our inevitable transition to a new direction. Hopefully John Mara will see things that way and start the ball rolling. Let the new coaching staff have input on the wholesale changes we are about to undertake of who goes, who stays, who we sign and draft to fit their scheme.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I don’t want to endure it either, but all signs point to them coming back. We have been getting endorsements drip watered to us for several weeks now. Francesa has been railing on it for weeks himself. 98% they will be back.

7.  pvdeluca says:

Not sure what to do with our first round pick. Yes, CB is a need but let’s be honest, that’s not what hurt us this year. I think you have to go either OL or WR. And if you go OL, then you have to assume they see Pugh as an OC/OG. Because if not, you would never draft an interior lineman as high as 10 overall. That would leave WR as the only choice. We could always still franchise Nicks, but at this point, he looks broken and I am doubting he will get really big money in free agency anyway.

I’ll be sad to see Nicks go. But right now nothing leads me to believe he’s staying. I’d say the chances are close to zero of retaining him.

•  JimStoll says:

you can’t go WR, because that means you are picking a player who won’t sniff the field until 2015 at the earliest, and then won’t earn his PhD until 2016 or later
      by then Eli is rubbing Ben Gay all over his broken limbs

you have to go Guard in the first; Center in the second; Guard in the third — unless you sign a stud FA
      while you need an LT that will have to wait until the 2015 draft
      one of the two guards has to be able to start; the center and other guard have to be upgrades over what we have now, even if they need to wait for Baas and Snee to succumb to injuries (which of course we know they will)

if you don’t do that then you will have no offense next year once again and we know how that plays out

even if these guys are good and upgrades it will take a full half season at a minimum to play to potential, so best case next year is a likely 2-6 start en route to a hopeful 8-8 finish with the young o-line rounding into form and the offense once again looking dynamic

I would like to say this off-season is Waterloo for both JR and his staff and Coughlin and his

I’d like to say that, but there are those two trophies………………

The inherent difficulty with coverage type defenses is that they depend on the other team to make mistakes that they can then capitalize upon. This works fine with bad and even average teams. But breaks down when you face the elite ones … because the ability to execute is why they’re elite.

Flacco has become Eli. He’s not pretty but he wins and is clutch. Or at least what Eli was until this year.

The OL can be addressed many ways but it doesn’t have to include our first round pick. If we are leaving Beatty and Pugh at OTs then a first round pick doesn’t likely makes sense. We can sign a free agent and address guard in the 2nd/3rd round.