After Apparent Rift, New York Giants Stress the Importance of “Team First”

December 17th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Tempers flared, words were spilled and fingers were pointed without actually being pointed. And by now, the entire country has been made aware of the locker-room issues facing the New York Giants following a 23-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday night.

Few were without guilt after the game, with even head coach Tom Coughlin lighting into a few units. That, of course, coming after his postgame speech to the team was interrupted by safety Antrel Rolle, who rightfully felt it was time to air his grievances.

Even the calm, cool and collected Eli Manning showed clear frustration with some of his teammates, and that's when everyone knew things had gone sour. It's times like this to show your New York Giants support with some cool gear.

But, with 24 hours to reflect on Sunday's meltdown and the subsequent aftermath, the Giants returned to team facilities on Monday with clear heads and a clear conscious; ready to move forward. No one wanted to look back at what was, instead opting to move forward. From top to bottom, players and coaches dismissed what occurred on Sunday night, with several admitting that everything said was entirely warranted.

"There wasn’t anything said that I don’t think that was totally undeserved. Offensively, I don’t know whatever word you want to use to describe it is probably pretty accurate. It wasn’t good. It wasn’t a good outing by us and that’s disappointing and upsetting," Eli Manning said.

Ultimately, no one felt the need to apologize, nor did anything feel apologies were necessary. Instead, the Giants were corralled and the typically PR-friendly team returned to exactly that, with even tight end Brandon Myers burying his postgame Twitter comments.

As for Antrel Rolle, who seemed to have the loudest voice of frustration, he also felt it was time to move on; time to stop discussing the events of Sunday. And whatever interpretation people had of what was said, he added, was entirely their own and outside of Big Blue's control.

"We’re not responsible for what people are saying or what has been said. We’re a team. At the end of the day, we’re a team, win, lose or draw. We do that all as a team. There is no group that’s greater than the other," Rolle said. "Right now we’ve just got to find a way to win, find a way to stay together, come together and do whatever it takes to get a W on Sundays. That’s what it’s all about at this point."

Things will remain quiet for now, but it'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts should Big Blue find themselves on the losing end again this Sunday versus the Detroit Lions.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Brandon Myers, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Tom Coughlin

37 Responses to “After Apparent Rift, New York Giants Stress the Importance of “Team First””

Horse … barn … left already.

2.  JimStoll says:

testing

Repost:

Flacco has become Eli. He’s not pretty but he wins and is clutch. Or at least what Eli was until this year.

The OL can be addressed many ways but it doesn’t have to include our first round pick. If we are leaving Beatty and Pugh at OTs then a first round pick doesn’t likely makes sense. We can sign a free agent and address guard in the 2nd/3rd round.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

Krow says:
    December 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The inherent difficulty with coverage type defenses is that they depend on the other team to make mistakes that they can then capitalize upon. This works fine with bad and even average teams. But breaks down when you face the elite ones … because the ability to execute is why they’re elite.

Excellent post.

That is, succinctly stated, why I hate cover 2 and its various incarnations. It is a passive scheme which allow the offense to dictate the game and waits for a mistake. This doesn’t work against guys like Brady and Rodgers, UNLESS you can get consistent pressure with just the front four and force them into a mistake.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Sorry, I should have done a better job citing the previous post and made it clear where my commentary began.

5.  buljos says:

The Lions will be another very tough test for this o-line. TC, Gilbride and Eli must figure out ways to take advantage of their aggressiveness, or it’ll be another beat down. After everything I’ve seen so far, I’m very skeptical they’ll do much of anything differently.

6.  William says:

We are currently have a record of 5-9. Assume that we can muster 1-1 to finish and thats wildly optimistic thats 6-10.
    Add in last years last 8 games your 9-15
    Last full two years 15-17
    Last 3 years 24-24. Are you sure that Mr. Stoll doesn’t have a point? Plus that easily could be 23-25 the way things are going. I would bet thats the worst 3 year record for a SB winner.
    - in 2011 we were the only team in history to get to the SB with a negative point differential. Perry Fewell would be proud.
    - only the 3rd team ever to get to the SB at 9-7
    Not trying to tarnish the trophy but show that maybe that year was a little bit of a rare hot streak at the precise time in an otherwise 500 regime.

Surprised this is not a Jim post. We have had a successful run. N o haven’t had dominate regular seasons but we have been a good team for a long time. We started last year 6-2. Until that point for the previous 6 years we were a good team. Now we have been bad the past 24 games. And that’s what should be looked at. But trying to at like 2011 and 2012 were bad years now is just not accurate. You and others like Jim lose the point that it’s about winning SBs. There’s not buts in that. Yes, in a perfect world we would want to go 14-2 and win the SB every year. But going 11-5 and 12-4 every year means little if you never win a SB. I wish you guys could talk to Pats fans. It’s been a decade for them. I bet they are boiling over not winning SBs.

A decade since they cheated to win 3 Superbowls. No sympathy from me.

I didn’t mean it in that way. I was just using them for comparison. I hate NE not because they cheated but just because I don’t like them. And the tuck rule game bothers me too.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Personally I am not taking the SB’s away, we earned them, my beef is that we do not STRIVE for excellence year in and year out like some other teams do.

To be honest, most SBs are won by the team that gets hot in the playoffs …(or just prior to them).

7.  Tony Burke says:

I agree with Jim, Tom has done less with more. If a good coach had this roster the past 6 years we might be talking about 3 or 4 championships, a dynasty!
    All nfl coaches eventually wear out their welcome. It’s time for change, the window on the Eli era is closing fast…. And I’m not a person who ever roots for the team to lose, I’ve been a giants fan for 35 years. I’ve maxed out credit cards to see a game with my family, I cried tears of joy when they won those superbowls, I pay for the Sunday ticket just to be sure I can see every game….BUT I think the only way we clean house is for 2 more losses….I’m ashamed to say it…. Go lions, go skins!
    That hurt….but even one more win and I think this staff returns.

Really? So we were the most talented team in the NFL the last 6 years? Really? Yes have had good talent but so have Bmore, Pitt, GB, NE all of those years and teams like Indy, ATL, Denver, NO and SF in others years. 3 or 4 championships is something a team with great talent like the 90s cowboys had trouble doing. You’re really living in dream land.

One could argue that we could have gotten to the playoffs more and won a few more regular season games but 2 SBs is as many and maybe more than our talent called for doing those years.

•  JimStoll says:

I would never argue that we were the most talented team
        but I would argue that we have historically had enough talent to produce far better and far more consistent results
        But GOAT, why get mad at those of us who deride Coughlin and his staff?
        You are winning!!
        He is and will remain the coach.
        Gilbride is and will remain the OC
        Fewel is and will remain the DC
        Quinn is and will remain the STC

You have your wish
        Be happy

•  LUZZ says:

Right, because winning 4 championships in 6 years is what this parity driven NFL is set up to do.

Aside from Jim’s last 10,000 posts, this is the funniest post I’ve read on here all year. Thanks.

While no one can doubt the talent of Richard Sherman … he really needs to give the bullsh1t a day off once in a while. Eli never says anything worthy of motivating another team. It’s all the usual bland cottage cheese comments. The roids … the constant jabber … the personal vendettas … he’s got to be one of the most hated players in the NFL … outside of Seattle where that sort of low rent stuff plays.

Power rankings seem to have us around 25th.

10.  LUZZ says:

If this coaching staff knew anything about football we would have won a few championships. Complete wilderness as far back and as far forward as you can see.

•  JimStoll says:

sarcasm?

•  LUZZ says:

So I get this correct… Our expectations are really to win 4 championships in a 6 year span in order to be satisfied with a coaching staff?

•  JimStoll says:

but the expectations are to make the playoffs, not collapse in the second half of virtually every season, not suffer multiple blowout losses each year, and especially not when your destiny is in your own hands (2010;2012)
          in 10 years under TC we have been to the playoffs 5x; 1x we backed in (’06 @ 8-8); 1x by the skin of our teeth (’11 — 9-7), we have missed the playoffs 5x – 4 of the last 5 years

THERE IS EASILY AS MUCH BAD AS GOOD AND OF LATE MUCH MORE BAD THAN GOOD