Eli Manning Open to Restructuring Contract with New York Giants for 2014 Season

December 12th, 2013 at 11:42 AM
By Doug Rush

Eli Manning has always shown that he is a team player and in the past, has been willing to do things for the New York Giants that will help the team if it means giving up some of the guaranteed money he's owed.

He restructured his contract back in 2009; the same seven-year, $106.9 million deal he signed that same summer and this past summer, was willing to restructure his $13 million salary which counted towards $20.9 million against the cap if needed in order to re-sign Victor Cruz, but the Giants were able to lock up Cruz in July anyway, so the restructuring wasn't needed.

Manning, however, is open to restructuring his contract again next year as he's owed $15 million this season, but he will count for $20.4 million against the salary cap in the 2014 season and considering the salary cap is slighted to be $126.3 million, that number takes up a good chunk of the Giants payroll.

“I haven’t thought about it, but if they come to me, yeah, we’ll discuss it and figure out a plan,” Manning said on Wednesday.

Despite having one of the worst seasons in his 10-year career in which he's thrown 20 interceptions and been sacked 33 times, plus could have his first losing season since being a rookie in 2004, not everything can be blamed on Manning himself for the off-year with the Giants, as many of his interceptions were the result of poor route running or balls being tipped in the air, and the offensive line has been down-right abysmal this season and will be a focal point in the off-season, whether lineman get signed in free agency or get taken in the 2014 NFL Draft.

However, if Manning does in fact resturucture his deal with the Giants, it could give them some wiggle room and flexibility to sign players and potentially re-sign some of their own players in the future such as Hakeem Nicks, Linval Joseph and Jason-Pierre Paul.

Photo credit: Mike Morbeck / Foter.com / CC BY-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

77 Responses to “Eli Manning Open to Restructuring Contract with New York Giants for 2014 Season”

1 2 3

Dumping on Dan (which is what you do when you dump on the site) is really bad form when it’s because of it going off-line. That’s a server crash, not anything that anyone desires. The ads drive me crazy and I appreciate that Dan and his cronies have begun to make some progress against the worst of them. There’s still some cleanup to do, and for whatever reason the site is still slowing down whatever device it gets loaded on, but things are getting incrementally better and none of us should begrudge Dan’s opportunity to make a living from this place.

Focus anger somewhere else. This has been a very frustrating season. Most of us are angry in varying degrees. It will get better. Always does.

•  Kettles78 says:

I don’t see why everyone complains about the ads. It’s really not a big deal. Love this site for the articles and the posts

The ads are annoying, but so what. All ads are. They can run them forever for all I care. If it makes business sense then they should do it.

•  skinnydoogan says:

OK, I did NOT dump on Dan, I made a comment about the ads, just like I would make a comment about the bottle of water on my desk, I have not complained about the ads. Go back to the previous thread and you will see Dan jump all over me, and me apologizing, which I did not need to do, because I really did nothing wrong. The reason much of the posting has gone down, has something to do with what Dan mentioned yesterday, it is the negative personal attacks that happen on a daily basis here. It is really dumb that we cannot hold an opinion without the negative backlash that come with it. Dan, once again, sorry if you took my comment the wrong way.

•  Chad Eldred says:

+1 Agree. That was an excessively harsh reaction to a relatively benign comment. I never doubt Dan’s appreciation for the readers here so I would wager that’s just the frustration of an overworked man coming out.

If you use google chrome and have the ad-blocker extension running 90% of the ads here are snuffed out. I realize that many use mobile means to access this site. For that, I don’t have any advice.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Never seen so many people get “lathered up” for such insignificant things, this is a football posting site, not life.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Sometimes the lines get blurred. I know for Dan this is a huge part of his life and a labor of love, but so get the fact that he takes it personal. However, for most of us, we are just readers and need to keep it in perspective. We all engage in back and forth here, but I don’t know anyone here personally. While I can be as big a jerk as anyone here at the end of the day there is no ill-will on my part towards anyone. I think most here are genuinely decent people.

Chicks man.

2.  Kettles78 says:

Easy Eli will step up and restructure if needed.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

You can call Eli an aww shux doufus, but I will take that over a self-important diva any freakin’ day.

4.  James Stoll says:

If Dan can get mad at Skinnydoogan’s comment I should be allowed to get ripped over FF’s assertion that I’m a “crazy”

5. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

In 10 years, I’ve never made this about me. Not once. But I think it’s time people understand why there is frustration. Why certain things, after a decade, get under my skin.

I’ll make it as quick as I can.

I never intended for Giants 101 to get big. I didn’t create thinking of a big picture. It was a hobby and something I merely did as a form of entertainment. I never dreamed of being a journalist, never had aspirations to cover the Giants or anything of the sort./

MVN then got bigger and things seemed to blossom. Deadspin picked up on Giants 101 and the whole thing took off like a runaway freight train.

At that point, I was sort of ingrained in the situation. The number of active users on the site sort of me into this feeling that I owed it to them to carry this thing to the end. That was all well and good until post-Screaming Sports when it became a massive financial liability for me.

I was either going to shut it down and go 100% into it. Donations came in and, again, I felt obligated to go for it. Too many people loved this place for me to shut it down.

I then assumed the financial responsibility for the entirety of the site (design, content, tech, servers, DNS, back-ups, plugins, apps, domain, etc.). I also had to assume the full amount of manhours to run the site.

I’ve done that at a complete loss since we re-launched post-Screaming Sports.

Costs continue to rise and as traffic swelled, it became a larger out-of-pocket expense. It went form hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars to a complete absorption of my entire paycheck.

Intro: ads.

Ads were added in an effort to make the site self-sustain. Initially, it worked. Even had a tad bit extra for about 3-4 months. Then, the ads became less valuable with more repeat pageviews and as the traffic continued to rise, required more technical know-how and involvement. We needed more space, larger servers and again we dipped into my personal funds.

We managed to get new ads that covered it, but then readers lost their minds. They left the free site over pop-under ads and a single slider. So, we removed them, traffic went back up with no more complaints and I assumed full financial responsibility again.

Repeat that scenario as of right now and I’m swimming in dept over appealing to the readers who pay $0 for this site. That’s fine with me. I can accept that. But then there are the nasty comments, **** attitudes, people running other people off, costing me more money and then giving me non-stop crap over ads, content, editing, site speed, server crashes, etc.

People wine none-stop about the ads, so I have to cut back on server space to supplement the loss on reduced ads. Then people complain over the site speed, so I reduce server capacity to supplement the speed. Then the server crashes and we get people complaining over ads, speed, crash, loss of comments, etc.

I’ve cut back and invested as much as I can, all while appealing to the writers who act as if G101 should be held to some higher standard than other sites with even more ads than we have.

All that is fine. I accept it all and deal with it all. But the constant complaining has become nails on a chalk board. No one pays for this free site and no one even tries to help when I request simple things to then remove the ads that are making me money and supporting this site.

I haven’t had a single day off since 2010. I haven’t had a vacation since 2008. Because I spend so much money on this site, I haven’t been able to buy a family member a Christmas, Birthday or Anniversary gift in FIVE YEARS.

So yeah, I have reached a bit of a breaking point when it comes to criticisms of this site.

It’s nothing personal to any one specific person, but perhaps people who are being nasty and running others off, or who are complaining about free content or who complain about ads…. They should really take into consideration my sacrifices for what they’re complaining about.

Their minor frustration of the day is a pop-up ad, whereas mine is how much removing that pop-up ad drains my bank account and immediately impacts my life.

•  Chad Eldred says:

With all sincerity, your work has brought a lot of pleasure to many of us. I don’t pretend to know your frustrations or the amount of work you do for all of this, but thank you for doing it.

What can we do to help ?

Serious question.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Patience and information.

People have go to understand that some of the ads (redirection ads, ie. Jelly Splash or whatever it is) are NOT authorized ads. The reason it’s so difficult to find them is they are hacked through our ad networks. That makes them extremely difficult to track down — especially when we don’t see them and can’t recreate them. We’ve requested endlessly that people send us as much detail as possible on any ads like that, ANY pop-ups and ANY autoplay ads. We need screen shots, URLs (or pop-ups or redirection), source code if you’re someone who knows how to pull that.

And most of all, we need people to stop publicly complaining. I’m easily reached. Support is easily reached. Even public relations is easily reached if someone just wants to ****. Doing it in the comment section makes potential newbies less likely to sign-up and chat.

We need people to stop the personal attacks (ALL PEOPLE). We need to return to what Giants 101 was — a great community with people of varying opinions, all chatting together and enjoying their time without getting nasty and personal.

And I will continue to clean up the new ads, to clean up the content and get back to what this site used to be. But the constant distractions and need corral things is only eating up time that could be better spent fixing things.

OK, fair point on the ADs. I really didn’t know they were hack jobs.

Have you considered some sort of “pay to avoid ads” scheme? Lots of sites do that. While I’m sure most folks would suffer the ads it would turn it into a conscious choice and remove their b1tching rights.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It’s an idea that’s been batted around for the last year. Something we may add with the redesign. Still not sure just yet — we have to make sure the loss on ad revenue isn’t more than what we charge (or that people would be willing to pay it if it’s too high). Ideally, we’ll kill the hack ads and no one will care about what’s left.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Ok understood and I apologize again. Now understand this, it is some of the people who claim to have a personal kinship to you that are the nastiest, and are “running people off” while I agree that the minor aggravation I get from dealing with idiotic people who like to curse and demean others, is nothing compared to running this site, but it does tend to keep the people you are trying to keep here away at times.

•  skinnydoogan says:

On top of that fact that our team stinks right now.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I keep tabs on everyone. Even the my friends off of the site and believe me, the people you’re referring to hear from me a lot more (and directly) than you might think.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Ok nuff said then. I am here for the football talk, I love the site, and the analysis provided by people that I don’t always agree with. Nothing left to see here, let’s carry on.

•  James Stoll says:

I’m afraid that my searing logic may be one of the runner offs of which Dan speaks
        If only Mara would fire Tom I could get positive again

•  skinnydoogan says:

No it’s not you, everyone here knows who I am referring to.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Jim,

You think people seeing you post “GO EAGLES GO!!!” isn’t going to get under their skin? Or run off potential new contributors when they think we’re infested with Eagles fans?

Serious question.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I forgot about that one.

•  James Stoll says:

I KNEW IT!

•  skinnydoogan says:

How about one posters relentless name calling, usually phallic terms? In fact I am already fully prepared for his lengthy diatribe later on why I am so “butt hurt” about the name calling. Ridiculous and childish.

See, now I think his stuff is drop dead funny. I never take it personally.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Childish as it may be, that’s not directly personal. I am talking about people telling others to go kill themselves, talking about family members or anything that stems from legitimate anger that goes far beyond being a chuckled ribbing (Kujo should have fun with that terminology).

Restructuring often does not cost any money. It’s not like Eli is taking less so we can sign some guys. It’s a neutral thing to him. Not good … not bad …

Maybe I’m oblivious, but I don’t think there are a lot of personal attacks.

But Jim, you ARE crazy. Admitting it is half the battle. I love you man, but the up-and-down would be diagnosed at my wife’s workplace as “Giants-fan-borderline-bipolar-disease”. Many of us suffer from it to one degree or another, but being in Boston seems to have taken you to the extreme end of the spectrum. You need to get outta New England where the residue of being a Suxx fan has made all of those nuts either at your throat or at your feet (I really think many of them are just as happy to revel in misery as celebrate the championships…that lovable loser ethic that they milked for many decades but now have had to cede to the Chicago contingent).

As for Hanging Chad, you’re right. I take an insult from you as a compliment. Thanks.

OK, so this is a good example. I find a lot of the more aggressive posts to be funny and amusing … like FF55 does. Maybe we should all just not take the damn stuff so seriously.

9.  Kettles78 says:

The internet has always bred people who talk disrespectful to others because generally there is no payback or anything. It’s funny to me how people can get. I don’t agree with you so I’m going to call you an idiot or other names because that makes me feel better. J

Hopefully people can get back to talking football

10.  LUZZ says:

I can’t believe that of the 12 remaining quarters in our season which is already over, we’re not going to give Nassib 2 or 3 or even 4 of them! I echo everything that FF55 said about TC a few articles ago, but I really hate the decision.

Showcasing him for a trade is an overblown concept, it rarely works out that way, plus there are back-ups around the league with much greater value. I’m assuming Nassib is going to be our back-up QB next year. If Eli goes down for a 2 or 3 game stretch and we need wins in those games, do we really want those snaps to be Nassibs first real snaps?

We have a chance to get Nassib some real valuable reps here. Can’t believe we aren’t going to do that. I wonder what Reese thinks about this decision not to see what we have in our young players?

•  James Stoll says:

The problem with that is the o-line is so bad and Nassib so raw, and he showed so little in pre-season, that it will go very badly if he plays, and everyone will learn very little
      Moore, Hankins, Robinson(if healthy), Cox are different stories

•  LUZZ says:

I understand the logic that our Oline is bad and he might get mashed out there. But if the Oline is that bad, doesn’t that make playing Nassib even a better decision? In other words if our QB is in for such a beat down, lets get Eli out of there.

See, I think that is a critical question. What does Jerry Reese think about this approach? Does he think that a lot of his draft picks have never been given a fair chance to show what they’ve got? Do he and Tom argue about that? Does John Mara have them both come in and argue their cases and then make a decision?

Someone has to have final say, and when it comes to playing that has to be the Head Coach. But how does that play out within the walls of the facility? I have no doubt that Tom Coughlin is higher in the pecking order than is Jerry Reese, but both DO report to John Mara. How active is he in regard to articulating team needs? How forceful is he about settling arguments between TC and Reese? Does he, as many suspect, defer to Coughlin because of the respect with which he is properly given in the Giants’ organization?

I’d love to be a fly on the wall. It must be VERY interesting.

1 2 3