The New York Giants have officially been eliminated from the playoffs, and with three weeks remaining, it would be easy to understand if they opted to place players with lingering injuries on season-ending injured reserve (IR). But, at least in the case of running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder), head coach Tom Coughlin said on Sunday that he does not envision shutting either of them down.
"Not unless it's called for," Coughlin said.
In addition to saying those two won't be shut down, Coughlin admitted he has no immediate plans to bench other veterans or substitute their playing time for rookies or depth players. Instead, Coughlin says, the team will attempt to win out.
"We're going to try to do the best we can no matter what," Coughlin added. "I don't know where else we go. Our team is our team, this is who we are."
Plans can change however, and the Giants will now be faced with several decisions on players other than just JPP and Jacobs. They're also faced with the reality that, with three weeks to go, cornerback Corey Webster (ankle) and tight end Adrien Robinson have barely seen the field this season — the latter having not seen it at all. And there's also the question surrounding rookie quarterback Ryan Nassib: should he be thrown into the fire to gain some experience?
The only thing that's for certain, at least as of now, is that the Super Bowl countdown clock in the Giants' locker-room should be removed.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Adrien Robinson, Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Jacobs & Trumaine McBride Miss Second Straight Practice for Giants
- New York Giants’ Corey Webster Out Vs. Packers; Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Jacobs Questionable
- New York Giants’ Corey Webster & Jason Pierre-Paul Out; Brandon Jacobs Doubtful Vs. Chargers
- Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster & Trumaine McBride All Out for New York Giants
- New York Giants Hope to Avoid Placing Jason Pierre-Paul on Season-Ending Injured Reserve
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/154a