December 1st, 2013 at 7:00 AM
By Doug Rush

With the New York Giants getting off a horrific 0-6 start to the 2013 season and now sitting at 4-7 on the year and their once slim playoff hopes may have gone out the window this past Sunday in their tough 24-21 loss to the Dallas Cowboys; a loss that gave the Giants that seventh and potentially, season-crushing defeat.

A few months ago before the Giants finally ended their six-game losing streak, Tom Coughlin's job security during and after the 2013 season came heavily into question and many fans were starting to wonder if the 67-year-old two-time Super Bowl winning head coach was still the right guy to lead the team. The talk originally started  before training camp because Coughlin was heading into the season as the current oldest head coach into the league with one year left on his contract that would expire at the conclusion of the 2014 campaign.

Despite all of the Giants struggles in 2013, the team has rallied around Coughlin and gotten his message very clear, which is to stay positive and keep on fighting through the bad times; a reason why the Giants were able to climb out of their once dark hole and get back to looking like a resemblance of a relevant team and because the Giants are still mathematically still in the playoff picture, still are a relevant team in the NFC playoff picture.

Even with Coughlin at the helm, it's fact that despite him winning the Super Bowl in 2007 and 2011 with the Giants, if his team fails to qualify for the postseason, it will be the fourth time in five seasons where the Giants had their season end after Week 17 and didn't play football in January; something that doesn't get forgotten by the fans, especially the haters of the Giants.

But if it were up to the Giants players themselves, Coughlin would be back on the sidelines of MetLife Stadium in 2014 continuing to guide the Giants back to another championship.

“He is the New York Giants," cornerback Terrell Thomas said. “He epitomizes this organization as a selfless person who takes it all on his shoulders. When we lose, he takes all the blame, and when we win he gives us all the credit. When you see that over years, when you see that leadership, you take it upon yourself to start living that way and start acting that way as a team. That’s why we didn’t turn on each other when we were 0-6."

People still forget that almost three months ago, the Coughlin family suffered a terrible tragedy when Tom's younger brother John died while returning home from the Giants loss to the Denver Broncos back in September at MetLife Stadium and yet, despite losing his 63-year-old brother to such a sudden tragedy, Coughlin continued to lead the Giants week in and week out, something that impressed his players.

“The way he handled it, he didn’t make it about himself. He alerted the team what was going on and then got right into the plan for the next team. Special guy. For a guy that’s been as successful as he has as a coach and at 67 years old now to come in here and never waver one way or the other is amazing," Justin Tuck said. “Football is such an emotional game with such high highs and low lows, but he is the true definition of never get too high with the highs and never get too low with the lows. If you let your emotions go with the way the team is performing, you’ll die of a heart attack."

If the Giants manage to finish under .500 in 2013, it will only be the second time that the Giants didn't have a record of .500 or better, the first and only time that happened was the 2004 season, his debut season when the team finished 6-10, but the Giants did start out 5-2 and slipped to 5-4 before handing over the offense to a rookie Eli Manning. Even if the Giants do finish below .500 and without a playoff berth, many people around football expect Coughlin to be back, or at least be given the right to decide if he wants to come back for one more season in 2014, which is again, the final year in his contract.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas, Tom Coughlin

Related posts

59 Responses to “New York Giants Players Voice Support for Tom Coughlin to Return as Head Coach in 2014”

1 2 3
  1.  Dirt says:

It’s wonderful and touching that the players have joined the coaches, management and ownership in full comfort with (barely) making the playoffs once in the last five years.

Nothing to see here, no changes necessary, everyone is comfortable here in Giants Nation.

It’s okay with me if he is back as long as Mara makes it clear it would be his farewell tour. The guy helped win two championships and we ought to appreciate that enough to give him the option to finish out his contract. But if he gets an extension then loyalty and continuity has crowded out good sense.

3.  James Stoll says:

Although I fully expect the giants to lose no less than 3 of the final five games, wouldn’t it be just like them to win all 5 meaningless contests en route to. 9-7, almost there finish that can delude management into believing the dismal season was based on factors outside of Tommie’s control and not only should he be back, but with a 3 year extension to boot?

The real risk is that they conclude that at 7-9 or 8-8, which is entirely possible. I think 9-7 is highly unlikely because the Chargers and Lions will be playing for something and the Seahawks need to try to get home field advantage in the playoffs. Two of those teams are clearly superior and the Chargers are a lot like the Giants but are playing at home with something on the line.

At this point, even beating the Skins twice isn’t a given despite our having a better team. I think we win those two but it could be a near thing.

•  GIANTT says:

Where to start ? Why would you make a negative out of the fact that the Giants might win 5 games if they did ? No matter what order the Giants won or lost their games even at 9-7 they probably are not going to make the playoffs so why wouldnt you take something from the fact that they could possibly win 5 straight games ? As much as there was complaints on here that the Giants lost 6 straight and you were certainly as vocal as anyone in voicing your displeasure , why would you disparage the effort if the Giants go on and win 5 straight ? Why do you even bother Jim ?

•  James Stoll says:

Giant. You amaze me. You constantly criticize me for not liking mediocrity or worse. I turn it back to you: why are you so freaking’ happy with lousy football? Why don’t you scream for something better? You become the problem when you don’t.
        Just enjoy the next 3-5 years in the cellar as Eli ages out. Then maybe JR can draft the reincarnation of Dave Brown and you can get your wish: an 0-16 team that you can criticize fans for not properly supporting.
        Geez!!

And apologies to fans of the Fighting Irish. They gave Stanford a game last night. The Cardinal were missing two key defensive players and ND was missing their best player, and Kevin Hogan played like doody, but it was a game. While Stanford was never in danger of losing, it was a lot closer than I expected. Shouldn’t have acted as sure of a one-sided outcome as I did. Bad form by me.

5.  kujo says:

If Coughlin is to stay, he needs to fire his coordinators. All 3 of them…

Which they won’t be.

Which is disgusting.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Unfortunately this is the reality. Anyone expecting a house cleaning at the end of the season needs to brace for disappointment.

6.  kujo says:

I believe Tom Coughlin is a good man, more than just a great coach. Knowing that, I think there’s a possibility that he recognizes that awkward position the organization is in–aware that changes need to be made across the board, but unable to really make them because they can’t/won’t disrespect a twice-Super Bowl winning coach who is an institution in the NFL–and responds the way a man of his caliber would:

He retires.

Yes, I know he eats, breaths and craps football. Yes, I know loves this game and is stubborn as an ox. Yes, I’m sure he wishes his swansong was better than the season we’ve had.

But above all, he’s a good man, who loves this team and this organization. And I think that’s the part we’ve got to keep in mind here. If he thinks that stepping aside is what’s best for this team and this organization, I truly believe he’ll do it.

7.  jerseyrich says:

I don’t think TC is the main problem. The main problem is his loyalty to people who should have moved on by now. Head coaches are basically just figureheads/team spokesmen anyway…..the head coordinators are the true nuts and bolts of the staff.

Fewell should probably have had more success with the talent he has had since he’s been here, and Gillbride should have been deferring much of the play calling to Manning by now.

I want to see the staff ride off after this year, but even if TC stayed this team could win….with most of the current people in place (fewell and Quinn should leave)…if some basic philosophical changes were made. Scour the land for the best Defensive and Special teams coordinators you can find and let Eli run the show.

8.  James Stoll says:

I think you are all quite wrong.
    Kujo. No way Tom retires. And it has nothing to do with being a good or bad man.
    He loves to coach, has had success in the past, most certainly believes in his own abilities, and will ascribe this season to others’ shortcomings, inluding simple bad luck.
    For those who say it isn’t Tom it’s his coordinators, I say pooh! Tom hires them and has final say. They don’t make a move without his ok.
    Only Mara deciding enough is enough can change the team’s direction.

9.  GIANTT says:

Jim Stoll , where do you get that I like mediocre football from what I said ? I criticized
    your comment
    “wouldnt it be just like them to win all 5 meaningless contests ”
    I am not happy with the up and down season , we cant change whats happened and it sucks but to put down any potential future effort and suggest that its going to be bad if they try and win is annoying to say the least . The Giants probably wont go either 5-0 or 0-5 but Im not going to stop hoping and supporting the Giants each and every game with the hope that we can at least watch a decent game ending in a win

•  kujo says:

Yeah, but you are one of the more polyanna types on here. You can’t deny that.

•  James Stoll says:

Giantt. Your constant criticism that fans are not properly supporting the team when week in week out they play like garbage is what I interpret as your love affair with mediocrity.

•  GIANTT says:

Jim , its not constant for a start , I got as p—-d off as anybody on here about a lot of the games that they played this year .I do object to the overblown verbiage that comes out of the anonymity of online blogs and I will certainly criticize anyone I think should know better but overdoes it to make their point .The league trumpets equality – I agree with most of you that this is just another word for mediocrity but there is very little any of us can do to change the success of the NFL using this formula . So we have to learn to live with it , or at least I do since my fandom is based on entertainment . If I am not entertained , I wont watch . Thus my Giants fandom . I take what I can from each game and I enjoy it , simple as that . I look for the good even in a loss of which there have been many . Look at it this way in over 40 years of watching the Giants , they have won 4 Super Bowls so I have been disappointed 90 % of the time but that 10 % is what KEEPS ME AS A FAN . So I am going to hope that they win each game regardless of the potential consequences or effect on their draft position

•  GIANTT says:

I dont think its polyannaish to want to see a team that I support win if possible . I seem to have a different view than many on here of what I would like to see the Giants do each week and to quote someone ( I forget who ) I would like to see the Giants “Just win baby “

•  TroyThorne says:

The problem is we get nothing if we win the next 5 games. No playoff spot, no changes in the coaching staff, no decent draft pick, etc. You can’t even take any joy in the victories since you know in the back of your mind that they’re completely meaningless and you’ll just end up frustrated asking yourself “where was this team earlier!?!”

If we lose out it shows there is something wrong here and changes need to be made. We’d get a much better draft pick which correlates to grabbing a “blue-chip” prospect who ultimately improves our team (not to mention the better picks in later rounds as well). If the coaches stick around at least they’re on notice and we’re (hopefully) guaranteed to get their best since they know this could be it if they don’t perform.

It’s a short-term view vs a long-term view.

10.  rlhjr says:

The. only way this crap changes is a good run of early draft picks.
    The bumbs playing O-line, linebacker & tight end have to be banished.
    The coordination sucks, but the talent at the positions named sucks worse.
    And we all know who those players are.

1 2 3