November 15th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, who is nursing a bad knee, returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday and expects to be ready by Sunday so long as there are no setbacks. And while he understands he won't be the lead dog, he's looking forward to the opportunity to create a powerful 1-2 punch with fellow bruiser Andre Brown.

'Brandon Jacobs' photo (c) 2012, Zennie Abraham - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

“I don’t know what it would be like,” Jacobs said. “I’m just trying to have the opportunity to get out there with him. One thing is probably the other teams are going to be sore.”

Add in fullback John Conner and running back Peyton Hillis, and the Giants backfield certainly is of a unique bruising variety. They are all very powerful, physical runners who like to abuse their opponents. And with David Wilson (neck) now on Injured Reserve (IR), the only remaining speedster is rookie Michael Cox, who has seen precious few snaps here in 2013.

Luckily, all Giants' backs have a team-first mindset. They've all said they'll do whatever the team asks, carry the ball as many times as required and do whatever else it takes so long as they're winning.

"As long as we’re winning, I don’t care. I’m playing right now. I’m playing good ball. We’re playing good ball. As long as we’re doing that," Andre Brown said. "I’ll let them manage that and what have you, but I’m just going to go out there and play ball."

Whether or not Jacobs, Brown and Hillis have an opportunity to create this physically imposing backfield remains to be seen. Due to Jerrel Jernigan's fumble issues, the Giants may be forced to start Michael Cox at kick returner, meaning either Hillis or Jacobs would be an odd man out on Sunday.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, David Wilson, Football, Jerrel Jernigan, John Conner, Michael Cox, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Hillis

Related posts

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ Brandon Jacobs Looking to Create Powerful 1-2 Punch with Andre Brown”

1.  JimStoll says:

although never a BJ fan from a raw ability standpoint, I do think his return could be helpful
    as well as Hillis filled in during his first 2 games, he played poorly last week and should be the 3d back at this point
    plus Brandon was always pretty good at pass protect, although not a great receiving RB

in the end, it will hopefully remain the Andre Brown show, and if he can have a game Sunday like he had last year against the Pack, sans the broken leg, then the Giants should be in pretty good shape

of course, Eli needs to start playing like a real QB again…..

A few comments:

1) Could not agree more with Nosh that if Reese doesn’t bring in people to play on the interior of the offensive line (I have been screaming for a high draft pick, a pretty high draft pick, a top-quality free agent and a middling free agent) then his job should be in serious question. The decisions about that part of the team over the past three years have undermined this team and taken away its greatest asset, which is our quarterback, who excels in the play action offense that requires a decent running game and a marginally decent pocket and time to release the football, especially when you’ve chosen to be a “big-play offense”. There is no excuse for what has happened. It is a total failure of management from the coaching staff to the front office. We’ve had some folks around here complaining about this for years, and kujo practically screamed it from the rooftops (and if HE saw it any idiot should have). Hell, John Mara started talking about it after last season. This has to be fixed or I’ll be right there at the barricades with those who want Reese fired, and that comes from someone who loves Reese and thinks he’s a terrific GM. If they don’t fix this they are wasting the remainder of their franchise quarterback’s career;

2) How can anyone disagree with Dan that the Giants still have a season and are still competing for the ring? I, too, would like to see Moore get some experience, but what maniac would like to mess with this defense right now? Moore is a 20-year-old kid. He looks like he is going to be fantastic, but right now give me players who are more experienced at making the reads, knowing what kinds of angles to the QB are likely to work, knowing how best to avoid getting flagged for the various infractions that occur on nearly every play, etc. I’d love to see him get 10-15 snaps while relieving each of the main defensive ends for a spell, but right now we have to trust the coaches who see him every day and are RIGHTLY conservative about playing time when things are clicking for the players who have been on the field;

3) I don’t know how the NFC East will come out, but I do know that anyone who assumes that the champion of the division will lose their first playoff game is making an iffy bet. We don’t know which team will be the opponent; whether that team will enter the playoffs healthy; whether that will be the day Manning, Foles, Romo or Griffen III puts up 350 yards of passing offense; whether that champion will win the turnover battle that day; etc. The idea is ALWAYS make the playoffs. No one knows what happens once you’re in. You just keep competing until they tell you you’re done.

3.  GIANTT says:

I would totally agree with this but you have left JPPs health out of the equation .Of course put your best defensive front on the field and that includes playing JPP . But he is obviously not 100% and yet JPP at less than 100% is still a pretty good option .But again you have to include the factor that will trying to get JPP on the field now potentially cause more damage to this injury and make his stay on the injured list much longer ? If thats the case then you have to work around him until he gets to the stage that playing will NOT potentially cause future damage

Yes, BUT, first it’s a stinger. If it were his back I’d agree. Second, they still have Kiwi, Tuck and Jenkins to take most of the DE snaps even if they hold JPP out. Fine to get Moore a few to give him a taste of it and see if he makes enough plays that you simply HAVE to find ways for him to play a little the rest of the season, but they shouldn’t be game-planning assuming he’s getting a lot of snaps. It ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Interesting that Indy made that trade for Trent Richardson (the Cleveland fans were screaming bloody murder over it) and now he’s averaging under 3 yards per carry for them and Donald Brown (who?) is averaging over 6 YPC and looking like the far better back.

It is awfully hard to judge college running backs, which is why they are so rarely picked at the top of the draft. I had absolutely no problem with Reese picking Wilson (no running back would have ever been my choice with my first pick except for OJ Simpson and Bo Jackson), but right now it looks like the guy who might carry the load best for the foreseeable future was a fourth-round pick whom they were lucky enough to have available again after they released him originally. I still think Wilson COULD be an impact player if they put together a real O-line, but who knows about his future now?

As for BJ, I agree. Could be fun having him getting some carries in concert with Brown. I can see some defenses getting very sick of being slammed by a combination of those two plus Conner. Jacobs will never be what he was, but used in a limited capacity I think he can still do some damage. Keep him to about 10-12 touches per game and know he will go 100% on each of them and punish someone.

5.  jerseyrich says:

Well, I agree with Dan that our goal is the postseason;

I don’t agree that not letting Moore get some legit playing time (as opposed to wasting a year of his rookie contract on the bench) is a good idea;

I also disagree that my contention that the winner of the NFC east will probably be a lost cause, is in any way wrong. The winner of our division will be an underdog vs whatever WC team they play (at home)…that’s just a fact. Im not a fan of 55 years but I have been a fan since 1979 (9 years old when I first started loving this team). Anything CAN happen but the odds are against it. Would I trade a top 7 pick for the chance to go 9-7 or 8-8 and get to the dance knowing that my team probably wasnt good enough to advance past the 1st round…..uh, no of course not; the goal of any team, any year, is to get to the playoffs.

My comments were strictly regarding Moore. There is no reason why a team clinging to the hopes of a playoff berth should sit a stud rookie because he “might make a mistake”. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Valid points, but who thought the Giants would win any of the last three games of the 2007 playoffs except for a few rabid fans? For that matter, many had them losing at home to Atlanta.

You just never know. You try to get to “the Tournament” and then take your best shot. The Giants may have beaten three “better” teams on their way to the championship in 2007 on the strength of Eli’s arm and a suddenly great defensive front. Who is to say that couldn’t happen again? Sure, it’s unlikely with this dreadful offensive line and a bunch of palookas at tight end. But that’s why they play the games.

There is a real possibility that three weeks from now the playoffs will be a lot more than a distant dream. Personally, I’ll be shocked if they make it because that last month of the schedule is murder. But I will sure be hoping that they find a way to take their shot in the playoffs, as will we all.

As for Moore, I love the kid. I just don’t think there’s a reason at this point to play him very much. The defensive line is coming on VERY strong. Stick with what is working.

•  jerseyrich says:

Agree with all you said….but if JPP is going to sit, why not start getting this kid some real game reps? I would have liked to have seen him already, but if JPP is hurt, what is the excuse now? He’s a pass rushing specialist….how about we throw him in there for 3rd and over 5?

6.  jerseyrich says:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that we force Moore into the rotation….I think its basically a question of “why cant this kid play a single defensive snap”? seriously, there is no excuse for that unless he is on the IR. It is not our biggest concern, but its inexcusable regardless. He should have been seeing some time by now.

7.  jerseyrich says:

And with my last comment, my Moore rant is done. Lets just beat the Packers on Sunday and move on from there.

8.  JimStoll says:

Personally, now that Brown is back and at least for 1 week has proven what I’ve been asserting from the beginning of preseason — that he is the best back on the team, inclusive of a healthy wilson (who I do think has shown enough to suspect he is and will be a bust) — what I really want to see is a good solid game out of Eli — 60%+ completions, 250+ yds, 2+TDs, and no INTs. I want to see him engineer 3 solid drives (at least)

You know I’ve been a big fan of Brown from way back, but it’s too early to call Wilson a bust. They’re different backs. Brown is a potentially wonderful lead back who can play consistently well and can run, block and catch passes. He won’t reel off 25-30 yard runs, and he isn’t taking a hand-off and going 70 yards with it. If Wilson recovers, he might. But injuries and the doghouse have REALLY set him back, and his size may be his undoing in the Giants’ offense if they don’t put together a very good offensive line, and good tight ends, so the backs don’t have to be quite as solid blockers. Even if Wilson learns all the reads, and even if he’s willing, a guy his size taking on an explosive linebacker blitzing off the edge or up the middle may lose a lot more than he’ll win.

But Wilson can be a game-breaker. I hope we’ll find out in 2014. Don’t give up on him yet.

9.  GIANTT says:

Anyway , back to BJ , Brown , Hillis and Conner .I would rather not see Brown have to carry 30 plus times this week .BJ should get his 10-15 carries and that should include a couple of passes out of the backfield . BJ certainly has done it in the past , a little gas may go a long way spread out . Hillis didnt have a good game last week , lets hope that it is just a short term thing and he can go back to being a solid alternative for a few carries .I would say that except for Brown I am not expecting a lot of yards from BJ and Hillis but a little smashmouth running never hurt and it could help Eli and not put all of us in panic mode every time Eli dropping back to pass

Interestingly, those backs are all pretty darned good at protecting the quarterback and all big enough to avoid being run over by a linebacker of defensive back. They definitely should help out Eli in protection. I think many who thought the O-line was getting better last game mistook the fact that Brown and Hillis and Conner did good jobs of picking rushers up and Conner was creating some nice gaps for Brown to find (and Brown’s vision is excellent so he found them) with improvement on the line. I thought they still stunk from what I saw. I’m hoping they DO get better starting on Sunday, but there’s a limit to what Diehl, Cordle and Boothe can do with their talent. They can certainly do better than they have to date, but can they get to “average”? I don’t think so.