October 23rd, 2013 at 3:30 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium for his weekly press conference in a relatively good mood, although not as chipper as you'd expect following a win. That, as it usually does, likely had to do with their injury situation.

'Tom Coughlin watches from the sideline' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The Giants' pre-practice injury report includes the following nine players: cornerbacks Jayron Hosley (hamstring), Terrell Thomas (knee) and Corey Webster (groin), running backs Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) and David Wilson (neck), linebacker Spencer Paysinger (ankle), defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (knee), tight end Adrien Robinson (foot) and safety Cooper Taylor (shoulder).

Of the players listed on the pre-practice injury report, Jacobs, Wilson, Rogers and Paysinger will not practice. Hosley, Thomas, Webster, Taylor and Robinson will participate on at least a limited basis.

As far as the players on the field, Coughlin spent a good amount of time talking about wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and his struggles, which include six drops this season.

"He's gotta get to the point where the reliability factor is there," Coughlin said. "The competitor he is, he's aware [of his play]."

Coughlin added that he doesn't believe the thought of free agency is distracting Nicks, but wouldn't answer when asked if he thinks Nicks is 100% healthy.

"What do you see," Coughlin snapped back at the reporter. Adding: "We count on this guy."

On the defensive side of the ball, Coughlin said the team will continue to rely on Trumaine McBride so long as injuries plague the secondary. He praised the youngster for stepping up and playing hard, improving each week, but hinted that once healthy, Corey Webster would return to his starting role.

And with that, it was time for practice as the Giants prepare to see Chip Kelly's offense for the second time this season.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Spencer Paysinger, Terrell Thomas, Tom Coughlin

Short URL:

18 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks Needs to Become More Reliable & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

So….. if you’re JR. What’s Nicks value going foward?

2.  skinnydoogan says:

Right now, not what Nicks thinks it is.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m no good at playing GM. I thought that Cruz was gonna end up not being signed.

Nicks, I have no idea on what JR intends to do with him. Yes, he’s valuable to our offense, but he hasn’t been the same player he once was. So then what? Jr throws out an offer, Nicks declines, tests the market and some team will likely overpay him. Or, do you slap the Franchise tag on him, and make him even unhappier then he currently is.

To me, it seems evident that Nicks is playing to not get hurt and can’t find that separation he once had. Perhaps he isn’t happy here, as some of his statements have hinted at? Who knows. Maybe trading Nicks for a draft pick isn’t the worst of ideas if we can get decent value? I’m not sure what i’d do if I was JR with this kid.

But if Nicks walks in FA, we now have another hole in our team. WR. Now, Let’s say we win 5-7 games, And we land in the 6-10 draft area. Do we draft his replacement?

Alot to think about if you’re JR.

•  JimStoll says:

I don’t see the “Nicks is playing to not get hurt” behavior that some keep mentioning
      he laid out twice for Eli Manning overthrown TD attempts on Monday. The first one he was a little alligator armed but still he went to his belly trying to catch it; the second he almost jammed his neck into the wall past the end zone

he’s had the dropsies for sure, but I don’t think that’s not playing hard
      it is probably a function of his dislocated/broken finger and poor concentration stemming from playing on a dreadful team

if Nicks walks after this season it will likely be because he sees a cloudy future in New York and wants to take his chances with a winning franchise

in FA, imagine teams like the Pats, Niners, Eagles, Cowboys, Packers, Lions lining up with green
      not to mention his home town panthers which could be on the cusp of being decent again

JR is going to have to pay him to keep him; and given how tight fisted we typically are we won’t; we’ll have to run with Victor (obviously a good choice) and Randal (still very questionable)

so WR will likely get added as another gaping hole problem heading into next year

dark times are ahead for our beloved Giants

think 2-14 as far into the future as you can see

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i saw him lay out (sadly) on one pass, the one Eli “overthrew” him on, Nicks should have caught.

Personally, I don’t know Hakeem Nicks. But I have a feeling that his motivation isn’t because he’s playing on a bad team. I think it’s due to the fact that he’s not getting paid. He seems like a bit of a Diva, although not the Terell Owens, Michael Irvin, Dez Bryant-ish WR Diva as we have come to know.

remember, Nicks has a SB ring. So I don’t think that playing with a winning franchise is on his mind right now. Now he wants to get cashed out. And clearly he’s in tune to our cap situation and what’s going on with the giants financially. And I think he knows he wont get what he wants here. He might be cashed out in more ways than one.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I am inclined to agree here.

4.  Levito says:

I’m still convinced it doesn’t matter what JR thinks, and Nicks doesn’t resign with NY. Unless Giants offer him top-of-the-market money, Nicks walks and signs with Carolina. I know this has been debated before, but I’m fairly confident he really wants to be closer to home and would sacrifice a small piece of his contract to go there. Plus Cam Newton is a QB I’m sure WRs can get excited to play for, and he’s playing pretty well so far this year. Nicks is a very good blocker and solid route runner (save the few routes he’s quit on this year). With Steve Smith getting older, they probably need to start finding another top-notch WR.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Nicks pretty much said that he wanted to play for Carolina. But will they pay him what he wants is the question.

I have a feeling he’ll go to top bidder.

if i was JR, i’d make him an offer. Then tell him that we will use the franchise tag on him if he declines it.

•  Levito says:

It’ll probably cost them around $12MM to franchise him. They are already strapped near the cap limit and have to plug holes at OL, DL, LB among others. And for a team which has used the exclusive tag twice in the past 25 or so years, I just don’t see it.

5.  GIANTT says:

I still think most of you guys are overthinking this . Why would Nicks not play hard deliberately ? All he would be doing is hurting his value down the road .Some teams may be turned off if they thought he was dogging it . The better he plays this year the more teams are going to throw that extra bit of cash his way next year whether its the Giants or not . Im more inclined to go with a nagging injury of some kind especially with TCs being nonresponsive about it .

•  BigBlueGiant says:

easy. So he doesn’t get hurt. And proves that he can play a full year. It adds to his value. Clearly, he’s not the guy he once was before the mysterious meniscus tear.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

Man. is this ad music annoying or what?

7.  Aziz Mohamed says:

This is going to be a HUGE offseason for Reese. Probably the most huge in his entire tenure with us.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

I just think Nicks is struggling. It could be because of injury, but I don’t believe he is protecting himself. Like any other player I’m sure he wants to be paid, but I don’t think he is a diva.

In fact I’d argue the days of the diva WR in the NFL are long gone. Dez, Calvin, AJ, Julio Jones, all strike me as being team oriented guys.

As for where Nicks lands, it will come down to money and only money. Such is the case for 99% of NFL players. The rare ones that are around long enough to collect a second Free Agent contract may want a shot at a ring and sacrifice some green for it. But not guys getting their first pay day. #88 will go where the money takes him, anything else would be foolish on his behalf. And in that sense, the choice where to play next year is really not up to him.

9.  GiantsFanFromEurope says:

“Eli Manning: ‘Obviously, I don’t want Hakeem Nicks to go’”

“Obviously, I don’t want Hakeem to go,” Manning said today on WFAN Radio. “He’s been a big part of our success over the years, been a big part of our offense. A great friend of mine and a heckuva player. I don’t know what the Giants plan is, I don’t know what’s out there and what’s going on, but as far as I know he’s on this team and we need him to be on this team.”

——————————-

Eli knows what he is talking ! Nicks is a must sign for us. He is our #1 WR even though he doesn’t look and plays like one at this moment. And the reason for his “struggles” this season is obvious. Big bucks are on his way if not from us that for sure from another team. I pretty sure that there is a team willing to give him big contract,Mike Wallace type of contract. I watch how he plays this season and like i said in one of the previous articles it’s so obvious that he is playing safe and that he is protecting himself. He is trying to stay injury free this season because this upcoming offseason he is FA and like i said he is going to look to cash in. If you ask me,we should definitely resign him.

Nicks’ only chance for a huge contract depends on whether or not Tom Coughlin has an unmarried daughter.