October 7th, 2013 at 5:38 PM
By Doug Rush

To say that it has been a rough year thus far for New York Giants starting quarterback Eli Manning would be putting it nicely, because it's been pretty bad for the 32-year-old veteran through the first couple weeks of the season.

Despite being a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback who has never had a losing season as the starter of the Giants, Manning has started off the 2013 with an 0-5 record and leading the NFL in interceptions with 12; three of which came in the fourth quarter of the team's 36-21 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday afternoon.

Following the game on Sunday, Giants head coach Tom Coughlin talked about how the interceptions and turnovers Manning made were "very demoralizing" to the team and were overall just terrible to have happen in crucial  spots.

"I honestly believe that he's trying so hard to get us a win, he's almost put too much on himself," Coughlin said. "And I'm not making excuses. There were a couple of those plays that were terrible. The intentional grounding penalties hurt so badly, because not only distance but to lose the down. I think we can make some progress with regard to preventing that. I think we do have to sometimes just cover the ball and go down."

That response lead to fans, media and general Manning haters to think that the Giants head coach was getting on his quarterback and tired of him making bad plays, and some even started to think that Manning should be benched, which made a lot of people laugh at that notion.

On Monday during his press conference with the media, Coughlin was asked about the comments he made about Manning after Sunday's game and the general feeling of his quarterback, and it sounded like Coughlin was trying to do a little bit of a reversal, as Paul Schwartz from the New York Post reported, because Manning's psyche might be a bit banged up.

"Coughlin said he did speak with Eli today.  "I wish I could bring his spirits back up.  He'll bounce back, he'll bounce back," he tweeted.

Coughlin knows how important Manning is to the success of the Giants, especially since without him at the helm, Super Bowls 42 and 46 never happen. The fact of the matter is right now, Manning is going through a rough stretch with the offense and when a team is 0-5, as the old saying goes, "when it rains, it pours," and it's been a monsoon for the Giants through the first five weeks of the season.

The interception total might not be as high if the Giants offensive line could give Manning more time to throw and not force Manning to at times go running for his life and try and make throws that he does not want to make, which end up going in the other direction. It might also not be as high if the Giants could get the running game going, which it hasn't, thus forcing Manning to almost scrap it and go into the air more often, thus eliminating a balanced attack on offense and allowing opposing defenses to prepare better to guard against it.

For Coughlin, he will have to hope that Manning can have a short-term memory and put the Eagles' loss in his back-view mirror, as they will be facing off against the Chicago Bears on Thursday night and hope that his quarterback can finally notch a win for the Giants and get them into the win column for the first time in 2013.

Photo credit: Darryl Kenyon / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Chicago Bears, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia Eagles, Tom Coughlin

53 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin on Eli Manning: I Wish I Could Bring His Spirits Back Up”

Repost:

Aziz Mohamed says:
    October 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Question, how much dead money are we looking at with the likes of Snee/Webster/Kiwi/Rolle/Baas (supposing we cut those guys).

Krow says:
    October 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    A lot. But no one except the team knows for sure.

GOAT56 says:
    October 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    Name Cap Savings Dead Money
    Chris Snee $7,250,000 $4,500,000
    Antrel Rolle $7,250,000 $2,000,000
    Brandon Myers $3,250,000 $1,125,000
    Cullen Jenkins $1,883,332 $1,333,334
    Mathias Kiwanuka $1,800,000 $5,250,000
    David Baas $1,775,000 $6,450,000
    Corey Webster $1,000,000 $1,250,000
    $24,208,332 $21,908,334

•  Aziz Mohamed says:

Nice. O-Line and Secondary have to be our main vocal point.

•  jb322 says:

Aziz, I think you missed the significance, Those numbers translate into only 2 million in cap savings by cutting all those people. It also means that Kiwi and Baas are not going anywhere.

2.  jb322 says:

Repost:

I personally think if the Giants come out featuring Wilson in Screens and dump offs, we kick the Bears **** this thursday. I know its not the popular opinion here, but I actually think the Giants have been getting better each week. And while I know the O-line gets most of the blame, I really don’t think they are playing any worse than last year, and seem to be coming together a bit last game.

I think the season was lost by Coughlin when he benched Wilson in Dallas. From that point on, the running backs have been a mess. It was essentially a no confidence vote in Wilson. Even though David Wilson was his only realistic alternative. Benching him, while I know that is Coughlin’s MO, was just plain stupid and asking for trouble.
    Somebody needs to get Wilson, Eli and Coughlin in the same room and work out whatever is going on with those three. Going forward, the answer is and will be Wilson Left, Wilson in the flat, Wilson in the screen as long as the O-line is a problem. TC and Eli will never again be elite until they make the commitment to Wilson as their running back and as a weapon in and out of the backfield.

I saw you comment Aziz, But all you did is re-enforce my point, 4 of the sacks on Manning were directly attributable to Jacobs and Scott. If you watch the game over, you will see several terrible blocks by Scott, one in which he actually picked Pugh to allow the sack, You will see two others where Jacobs just completely blows his assignment and lets the guy sail right past him to Eli. Scott is now gone because of his terrible play and Jacobs stuffed a number of rushers on sunday.

As for Philly being terrible, they lost a game they should have one in San Diego, and their other 2 losses are to teams that are a combined 10-0. Where is the terrible in that? Maybe they are better than you give them credit for, after all, they are in first place.

•  turkish says:

It sounds like Wilson may not even play. Bears by 20.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Tough to see Wilson playing; he was held out of practice today and has had some tingling in his neck.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Even if Wilson was sh****** out bags of money, he will not play, just goes back to my post before, Coughlin is absurdly stubborn. Can anyone please explain to me, reasonably, why Moore does not play? How about Connor, he has arguably the easiest job on the field aside from the kicker, he was not even dressed for the game on Sunday. Nothing will change with this man at the helm.

•  Kettles78 says:

Moore had a hamstring issue that’s why he wasn’t out there. No idea why Conner didn’t play at all.

•  LUZZ says:

If Wilson is out then Cox needs to get SOME carries. If Wilson’s out and we get a steady diet of of Jacobs, then I’ll join the mob and begin taking shots at TC’s decisions.

3.  LUZZ says:

jb322 – Keep the critique realistic on TC. He doesn’t have the team playing well for sure.

But, if you don’t think all 31 other NFL coaches would have benched Wilson after 2 first half fumbles you’re wrong. Wilson had to be replaced at that point. He really had to.

•  JT Jumbo says:

Funny because I could have sworn Alfred Morris fumbled twice the first week and he didn’t get benched. I could have sworn AP fumbled more times than Wilson this year but he isn’t benched. You know nothing about Runningbacks and how they get going. Emit Smith fumbled 3 times his 1st ever game with Dallas but they road it out and built his confidence by not benching him

4.  LUZZ says:

I’m a huge Wilson fan by the way. I still love his upside and think he will be great for us. But in that spot, in Dallas, week 1, he needed to come out after the fumbles. TC played that right.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Luzz, I gotta tell you…

As much as I love the NYG, seeing them go 0-5 ATS is making me drool to make bets against them.

If they lose the next two……..

Still not sure i can do it though…

•  LUZZ says:

I hear you, but I promised myself I would never do that again. I went big against the Giants in early Oct 1996 against the Vikings when were playing ALMOST as bad as we are now. Not quite though.

Needless, to say the Giants won big and it was the worst feeling as a sports fan I’ve ever had. I can still see Phillippi Sparks returning that pick TD and taking a bow in front of the crowd. It was a low that I promised myself I would never repeat.

Don’t do it, trust me.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I could imagine the feeling.

That would be heartbreaking.

maybe that’s what this team needs though? Me too bet against them for a win!

6.  BillyS says:

Giants re-signed Scott. I guess this means no Michael Cox. God help us if it’s Scott and Jacobs. At least be Scott and Cox because Jacobs is just plain B-A-D, and this is coming from someone who loved Jacobs while he was here.

7.  skinnydoogan says:

Da’Rell Scott, LOL.

8.  stuh says:

Wow that is a lot of money to some dead weight. Snee, Kiwi, Meyers Baas, Webster and Rolle who gets a lot of props around here. Not worth the money

9.  jerseyrich says:

For those who didn’t check it out, the link that Goat56 posted is really great. In short, it looks like next years cap will be about 122 mill. We are currently at 107. For those who think that our cap situation is bad next year (it really isn’t):Dallas is at 142 and the Eagles are at 120. SF/117, Seattle/123. The skins and packers are both at 105. (pitt/128, NE/112, den/122)

Basically we are in pretty good shape and that doesn’t take into account ANY of the players who we’ll be getting rid of. Snee alone will take the Giants to 99 mill.

10.  Kettles78 says:

Still won’t matter who runs the ball. Deihl and the rest of the Oline got blown up at times by a Philly defense that has been terrible most of the year. It was good to Deihl back in there because he shows fire and grit but the dude got bowled over including on the play that Wilson got hurt. Until they can figure out something with the Oline it is going to only get worse. Eli is forcing way too much trying to make plays out of nothing. Nevermind the interceptions that could of been Nicks fault or the one ripped away from Cruz on a great play by the defender but the intentional grounding that he got are really killing the team. Not to mention can they work this week in practice on how to get a play called in time!!!! Hopefully they can get something going this week against the Bears.