September 18th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

On Tuesday, the Seattle Seahawks announced that they had waived defensive tackle Sealver Siliga from their practice squad and signed former New York Giants defensive end, Adewale Ojomo, to fill his spot.

Ojomo, who went undrafted out of Miami in the 2012 NFL Draft, was originally signed to the Giants' practice squad and made an immediate preseason impact. He led the team with four tackles over four games in 2012, earning him a 17-week stay on the aforementioned practice squad. He returned in 2013 and, once again, had a solid preseason, earning himself a second straight practice squad designation.

However, due to injuries and uncertainty surrounding Jason Pierre-Paul and Damontre Moore, Ojomo was signed to the 53-roster in week one of the regular season, but was listed as one of the seven inactives. He was later waived in preparation for the signing of a running back (Brandon Jacobs), but not re-signed to their practice squad. Instead, the team opted to sign linebacker Emmanuel Acho.

For Giants fan who have lived and breathed the legend of Adewale for nearly two years, they will not be thrilled with this news.

Photo credit: NYCMarines / Foter / CC BY

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Adewale Ojomo, Brandon Jacobs, Damontre Moore, Emmanuel Acho, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks

39 Responses to “Former New York Giants DE Adewale Ojomo Signed to Seattle Seahawks’ Practice Squad”

re-post:

Truth be told, there aren’t guys out there who can do for us at linebacker what we would like. Frankly, the position of MLB in a 4-3 defense is dying out anyway in a pass-oriented NFL. If you play with three linebackers (as opposed to two or four, which will become the more ordinary defensive sets) you have to find three who can both cover and be run-stoppers, with the emphasis on the former skill for your outside backers (along with being able to run with mobile quarterbacks) and a slight emphasis on the latter for the guy in the middle. As these college offensive schemes start to penetrate the NFL we may start to see teams going to defenses that consistently have three corners and three safeties (one of them a bit bigger so he looks like an undersized outside linebacker, which he probably was in college) and only use one linebacker, a guy with speed and a decent amount of power (scouts will have a far easier time finding one or two of those guys in the college ranks than having to find multiples of that to build depth charts for their teams).

Of course, the Giants may be among the last to switch from the 4-3 and may only do so when they recognize that MLBers just aren’t being produced much any longer in the college ranks, and when you want to grab a really good one you have to spend an early pick to get him.

If I were running this team I would be scouting the best young MLBers in the NFL right now and preparing to pay a lot of money to get him in free agency. Given the arc of Eli’s career, we don’t have forever to find, draft, and develop someone in that position. It has to be someone who is proven, and young. Grabbing someone in his fifth year in the league (I doubt teams will franchise MLBers, especially because many will be phasing the position out) seems like the much smarter bet to me.

I also feel strongly that Reese needs to go sign a really good interior lineman in free agency next season while also drafting another O-lineman high in each of the next two drafts. Get the room in free agency by dumping salary elsewhere and by restructuring (start with Eli because it’s his body being protected and he needs to be asked to pay for that), knowing there’s at least some relief coming in 2015 from a moderate cap expansion. This, to me, is the biggest priority on this team right now. And I say that even while thinking that Mosley will be good and Brewer might turn out well too by next season. With the skill levels we have on offense the only way we will not become a devastating scoring machine that can win championships with the offense is by not improving a clearly inadequate group in the trenches on that side of the ball.

I’m really sorry to see Ojomo go. I think this was a huge mistake on the part of the Giants and I think he was mismanaged this season and probably suffered from the pique over his reporting to camp overweight (I don’t know if he was the guy, but based upon how he was treated I assume so).

There are things about the way this team is run that really make me question them. I know, Coughlin won two Super Bowls so we owe him. But we certainly know that his son-in-law is dramatically overpaid and so far untouchable, that he put Wilson in the doghouse for sins that others have committed without being summarily exiled, and that he continues to emphasize Red Zone offense (even he no longer refers to it as The Green Zone, his idiotic description of it when his team was apparently color-blind) while allowing his Offensive Coordinator to play stupidly in that zone and has not insisted that the team improve their O-line as a priority (the sine qua non of being a very good Red Zone team).

I’d love to know the real story regarding Ojomo. It would not surprise me if he was a Coughlin doghouse resident who was never given a real chance to shine by being allowed to only play against backups in preseason, nor would it surprise me if he becomes a very good NFL defensive end whom we’ll wish we had.

Lots of Bears fans on the radio this morning … talking about how they’ve finally found their TE of the future … how he’s energized the offense … become a vocal team leader … and is clearly one of the best at his position. They all agree that it was a fantastic signing.

But the laugh is on them cause we saved $2,750,000 by letting him go.

Bennett is one of the few players I really feel bad about losing. I think he was the great fit for this offense. And off the field he was perfect for NY. I know he wanted too much money so maybe it wasn’t realistic to keep him. But I think he will turn out to be one of the few players we were wrong about.

•  nick86 says:

haha- snee and Diehl were obviously the better investments. What a joke.

Sadly enough these two will prob be back next year and guys like Antrell Rolle will be asked to take a paycut or get cut

It’s not that simple. Diehl and Snee were signed to big money years ago. Letting them go wouldn’t result in as much savings as their salaries suggest. Cutting Snee would have resulted in a huge dead money hit on the cap. But I the decision to restructure his contract again this year means he’s likely here next year too. I do think they should have restructured Rolle instead.

Bennett could have been kept if they:

1) Asked Eli to restructure and he agreed; or

2) Told Snee he needed to take a $3MM hit to reflect his play of the past two years and his current value to the team.

Or some combination of the two.

BUT, in fairness to the folks who made what now looks like a really bad decision, they expected Robinson to be a somewhat less experienced version of Bennett this season (not expecting him to be hurt) and knew that Myers could catch the ball.

If Robinson gets healthy and shows he can do something now, instead of needing another year, the decision to let Bennett go will look less horrid. With the possible emergence of Donnell it may actually look like the right move.

•  nick86 says:

We need someone at TE who can block. the black unicorn made up for some of our OL poor blocking last year.

Myers isn’t blocking a soul out there

I haven’t given up on Robinson. I think Donnell has just actually made up for Robinson’s absence because he brings many of the same attributes. I was looking forward to see Bennett play with Robinson. I though having 2 all around TEs would have been great for the offense. But maybe that still plays out down the road with Donnell and Robinson. It just seems like Myers is a bad fit for what we do. He can catch some balls but because of his blocking it changes the way we can play.

I would like for us to use Donnell as our early down TE and Myers for long yardage and 3rd downs.

4.  jerseyrich says:

Just a quick point from a few articles back: Kiwi was Accorsi’s pick, not JR’s. JR’s first pick as GM was Ross.

Ojomo signed to Seattle’s PS so he’s not 100% gone yet. In theory we could sign him back to our 53 tomorrow. The fact that he hasn’t been signed to a 53 man roster makes me think our coaches are right. If Ojomo is the player that some of us thought then at least one team especially a team like Jacksonville would have signed him.

I’d be hard pressed to name a UDFA or late draft pick that we let go who is tearing it up. They had a good look at him … and passed.

Yeah, but I’m still suspicious about what his relationship was with Coughlin. We’ve seen what TC has done to Wilson. Exile. Which hurts the team. Way too Old School. Why was Ojomo NEVER put in to play against real NFL players in two preseasons when he tore it up when given the chance? Smells fishy to me. Could it be that reporting overweight was used as an “example” to others?

I’m willing to bet that in practices he was beating our first-string O-line. Not that big a hurdle.

From all the beat reporters I got that he struggled in practice against our backups. He seemed ti be a gameday player. Remember we never heard a pep from him even last year until the preseason games.

Okay, so he’s a “gamer”. I’d take that over guys who practice great and then disappear when the games start. We seem to have a number of them.

I agree. I think we all wondered why he never got a look earlier in games this preseason. That was always strange. But no NFL team signing him to their 53 makes me think what the coaches saw has been validated. Maybe Ojomo ends up being something but right now no team thinks he’s ready.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

If Adrian Tracy was the player YOU thought he was, he wouldn’t be washing cars right now.

I always said I thought he could be a good 4th or 5th DE and help pass rush wise. I still think he could have we just had players that played him off the roster. Tracy I thought was the better player today but Ojomo was the one with possibly 2nd or 3rd DE upside.

Tracy is not PS eligible so the NFL is saying the same about both players.

6.  JimStoll says:

all I know about Ojomo at this point is that he is an honored resident in the Giants 101 Hall of Fame!

7.  jerseyrich says:

Lets just hope he isn’t our next Cameron Wake

8.  turkish says:

This team usually stops buying into the gameplan/coaching philosophy at the mid-point of the season. I have a bad feeling Gilbride and Fewell have completely lost the team out of the gate. It’s going to be tough for Coughlin to stop the bleeding. A loss to Carolina probably derails the season.

The patent mid-season slump has spread like a disease. Kujo and others on here have been screaming for O-Line help for years now. This team NEEDS to run the ball to win and the O-Line is making that goal close to impossible.

The last several years have been a hell of a run. Lots of big wins … two Superbowls. No one should complain. What a ride. But the NFL is geared to disadvantage success. It’s not just the draft. Winning means you’ve assembled talent … talent that wants and deserves to get paid. The result is that teams go up and down by the very nature of the league. It’s not a failure of the front office. It’s the way it is.

•  Jackhajb says:

Great point, I think a lot of us forget the league is built to level out the playing field for all teams. It takes an extraordinarily run team and a good amount of luck to build a dynasty.

Giants 101 @Giants_101
    Surprisingly, only two players on the #Giants pre-practice injury report today: David Diehl (thumb) and Adrien Robinson (foot).

No excuses

Robinson again? Jaysus … how long is this foot going to take ?

•  Jackhajb says:

Robinson is definitely a huge let down. I’m in agreement with everyone who said we need someone more multi-dimensional than Myers.

Donell or Robinson need to step up and be that guy. Run blocking for this team is a 6 to 7 man job, our lineman aren’t going to cut it alone.

I think it’s pretty obvious that if we cannot beat a Carolina team that cannot match up with our receiving corps that this season is going to be brutal. The only way that happens is if the offensive line is incapable of protecting Eli or he is seriously slumping.

Carolina is desperate. So are we. We are the better team. If the effort and execution isn’t there then shame on everyone associated with this squad.

And yet….the NFC East looks so bad right now that even a loss would not put us out of the race for the playoffs.