New York Giants RB Da’Rel Scott Suffers Knee Injury During Practice

September 11th, 2013 at 2:40 PM

For New York Giants running back Da'Rel Scott, this year has been like a wild rollercoaster with its ups and downs. And after facing a possible cut earlier in September, injuries and fumbling issues by other running backs paved the way for him to not only make the 53-man roster, but see a large role in a 36-31 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately, things hit another low on Wednesday after the running back suffered a knee injury in practice.

'IMG_9252' photo (c) 2009, John Martinez Pavliga - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

After suffering the injury, Scott was unable to return to and promptly taken for additional tests.

When the Giants released their official injury report, Scott was listed as LP (or limited participation) with "knee" as his injury.

Meanwhile, this could greatly impact the need for recently signed running back, Brandon Jacobs, to be ready by the time Sunday rolls around. Sitting on his couch only a few days ago, he may need to step up and be the No. 2 man behind David Wilson when Big Blue takes on the Denver Broncos.

Luckily, the big guy has stayed in shape, saying he checked in at 265 lbs. He also admitted that he "might cry" when he takes the field on Sunday after a "cursed" and "humbling" experience in San Francisco last year.

"After that practice, I was pretty sure ‘Yeah, I’m back,’" he said. "I think I can be as productive as any running back in the NFL. That's the way I feel now."

Update: Josina Anderson of ESPN reports no structural damage in Da'Rel Scott's knee. Says team will monitor for swelling.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, David Wilson, Denver, Denver Broncos, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

16 Responses to “New York Giants RB Da’Rel Scott Suffers Knee Injury During Practice”

Luckily the new practice rules have cut injuries way down. One can only imagine how bad it would be if the old ways were still in force.

2.  GeezUp says:

Wow!!! Jacobs might actually get 15-20 snaps on Sunday.

Any more updates on Prince???

3.  GIANTT says:

Krow whats the over/under on Jacobs touches now ? I think he might get his 447 yards this year now

4.  JimStoll says:

now we’re talking:

Giants 101 ?@Giants_101 27m
    Brandon Jacobs isn’t the only one who wants to be with Big Blue. @DannyWare28 is hungry to return, too.

On the positive side about Jacobs is that he’s had about year and a half with no wear and tear. Maybe he’s fresh and will run better than he has in a few years if given a limited work load. Like with Wilson I think not having played in so long I would worry most about ball security.

I see a RB like Ware, Lumpkin or Torrain added if Scott is injured seriously. Ware makes sense as a 3rd down RB. He’s nothing special but he won’t hurt you and he knows this offense.

6.  Chad Eldred says:

DJ Ware? Why don’t we call Kareem McKenzie and Deon Grant and have a team 2011 reunion?

Ware is 28 and played in the NFL last year with Tampa. He’s not in his mid 30 years after having been out of football for over a year. In some ways Ware makes more sense than Jacobs. Ware is a 3rd down RB. He knows the system.

•  Chad Eldred says:

No “wear and tear” on the other two. That’s a plus.

Look I understand Ware is a JAG. Right now that’s basically what we will be getting form the street. Ware is a JAG though that knows the offense and was trusted enough even with Bradshaw and Jacobs around to block as a 3rd down RB. We are simply trying to piece this group together while we wait for Brown’s return and Wilson to develop as an all around RB.

7.  Dirt says:

Levito,

I’ve watched a ton of practices in my day, having had field passes to Giants camp in Albany whenever I wanted. And in all of my time there, I’ve never seen defenders ever allowed to go full speed at the QB, nor go anywhere near them.

So, respectfully, I fail to see how it is all possible that Wilson has been able to either prove or disprove in practice that he can block for the quarterback. It simply cannot be simulated in drills either. In live action, there’s people getting chipped, chasing a moving target behind the blocker, etc.

•  Dirt says:

If I set up a tackling dummy and set up a 1-on-1 drill between a running back and a defender, I miss the entire dynamic of the quarterback sliding in the pocket, the need to block longer because of good coverage, etc. It’s just not realistic.

We’re talkin about practice man! Not actual games, practice!

8.  giantsou812 says:

we just went from OMG to OMFG

You know I think we made a mistake with IR’ing Brown over Diehl if the time tables were similar as reported. I said before we did IR’d Brown that I thought Diehl made more sense because it was more important to have Brown available ASAP then Diehl. I think now we are feeling that effect. If Brown could have returned in week 6 instead of week 8 that makes a difference while Diehl as a backup makes some difference but not a big one.