Current, Former New York Giants Teammates React to Signing of Brandon Jacobs

September 11th, 2013 at 10:15 AM

One of the most bizarre things to come out of yesterday's news that Brandon Jacobs had signed with the New York Giants was the minimal, yet loud voice of some skeptics who claimed he was a "locker-room cancer" and would do the team no good.

Nonsense? Sure, but it's what some believe. And here in the social media age, when someone believes something, you're going to hear about it regardless of how foolish a notion it may be. But for those who have played with Jacobs, and those who will play with him for the first time, their collective reactions tell the more realistic story.

Punter Steve Weatherford:

Cornerback Terrell Thomas:

Former running back Derrick Ward:

Retired defensive end Michael Strahan:

These are just some of the reactions from yesterday and tells you all you need to know about Jacobs, his character and what it means for the New York Football Giants.

Several current and former teammates reacted positively to Brandon Jacobs signing with the New York Giants — a telling tale not wanting to be heard by some.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Football, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Weatherford, Terrell Thomas

19 Responses to “Current, Former New York Giants Teammates React to Signing of Brandon Jacobs”

1. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Repost:

I don’t mind the signing, but you can’t use a youtube video where he supposedly runs a 4.4 as a reason. The guy ran a 4.57 and 4.61 at the combine and I highly doubt he could reach those numbers now.

That doesn’t matter. Jacobs was always fast enough once he got going. The key know will be how fast he can hit the hole no matter his 40 time.

Repost:

I don’t think most people that say they wouldn’t have signed Jacobs are going crazy. I don’t think re-signing him was a no brainer but I can clearly see how it could work. RBs especially ones like Jacobs who take a lot of punishment lose it fast and I think that’s what happened to Jacobs. I hope I’m wrong and he can give us a shot in the arm. I do think that whoever we signed wasn’t going to be signed to fill out a roster spot they are being signed to become our #2 RB until Brown returns. I think Scott was used a lot out of desperation, I don’t think he’s our short term answer at #2 RB beyond a week or 2 for Jacobs to catch up.

This Ojomo saga is weird on so many levels. Acho has talent so I understand signing him. I would think the guard could be let go instead. But it’s clear here that Ojomo was at best going to get Trattou reps. It will be interesting to see how he progresses. Look at Selvie on the Cowboys.

I can’t believe some are adjusting their on Wilson so much after one game. Yes, it was a horrible performance. And he basically cost us the game by himself. But it’s one game. Look at week one there were at least 2 other RBs with 2 fumbles. I think because there is such light contact in practice that RBs have a big adjustment going form preseason to regular season when defenders are ripping the ball out with much much greater abandon. Wilson will be better in the long run for the Dallas game if we just have some patience.

3.  JimStoll says:

moving on to the rest of the roster, Baas still on the injury report
    anyone hear anything about his progress?
    we know about Prince; fingers crossed
    what’s the deal with Moore? what was the nature of the shoulder injury?
    was it a separation?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

as for Moore: was told by my friend that works at HSS that it was really bad bursitis of the shoulder. And rest is the only thing that will heal it. If it was the playoffs he’d be playing.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

Crap, I posted on the wrong thread.

Chad Eldred says:
    September 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

With all the noise about Jacobs some big issues are not being discussed. Does anyone know what is going on with Damontre Moore? Aside from the generic info being disbursed. The lack of pressure generated from the front four could be an issue. Considering the fact that Romo had time and the number of turnovers thrown at them, the D actually did a great job. JPP’s sack was gift wrapped and handed to him by the coverage. Desperately want to see Moore get healthy and on the field.

I think I’ve stated it pretty clearly why I think this signing was a very good one. So I’m not going to bother adding to that.

I do, though, want to react to the injury report. I loved the signing of David Baas when it was made (he was terrific at Michigan, and I heard from a very reliable source that Harbaugh was apoplectic about losing him just as he arrived as the new Niners coach), but I’m starting to think he may have been the single worst decision that Jerry Reese (with assistance from Dave Gettleman) has made during his tenure here. The guy cannot stay on the field, and that is a big problem for a center. Whatever one might say about Shaun O’Hara, he was durable and could be relied upon to be there on Sunday. Baas seems to have missed enough time to have made Flaherty’s job almost impossible.

A few years ago both kujo and I were yelling about the need to draft a great center. Now, grabbing one in the first two rounds is questionable when there are usually quality players at that position available later and any pick can always get hurt (see Pouncy, Maurice), but I think that the Giants have limited choices here: assure themselves that Baas is going to be healthy enough to play 14 + games per season; train one of the youngsters (maybe Mosley?) to play center; or draft one, possibly higher than you’d like.

The inside of our offensive line is, right now, a basket case. Boothe is a mediocre center (although a decent guard), Snee seems well along on the downside of his career, and Brewer appears to have been highly overrated by the team. But if you put a great center between Boothe on one side and Snee on the other, voila!, everything gets better.

Something has to be done here. Baas is in danger of becoming the biggest bust in the Reese Era.

•  JimStoll says:

agreed
      and it’s not just his health
      when he has played he’s been nothing special
      that said, he’s still better than Boothe as a center
      but given how badly Brewer played Sunday, wouldn’t we be better off playing Cordle at center if Baas can’t go this week?
      At least that gets Boothe back to LG and we only have 2 super weak spots on the interior instead of 3

Brewer started his first game. Even if he is going to stink you can’t make that assessment after one game. Especially, when he just started getting reps at that position less than 3 weeks ago.

It’s week 1 and this OL only had 2 weeks of practicing together. Give them a few weeks of playing together. I think this version of the OL can get the job done as well but they need some time to gel.

Bass has only missed a few games. You can argue he hasn’t played well but he’s been playing most weeks. I guess your point is he’s been banged up and therefore less effective. That’s true but he’s still in week 3 or 4 of a 3-6 week injury. Let’s see what happens.

I agree that it’s early to assess the O-line and they need time to work together. But see my response below to demo. A guy with quick feet should not be unable to lay a hand on a guy who has passed him on the inside.

6.  demo3356 says:

I dont think Brewer was highly overrated by the team. He was bought along slowly but then thrown into a starting role because of injuries to 2 starters and nobody else on the roster better than him. Cordle was terrible at center and Brewer looked better than the only other healthy Lineman (Mosley) on the team. I think he will be a pretty good player, just had a rough night Sunday night

We’ll have to see about Brewer. The word was he was huge AND had great, quick, feet. I’ll give him some benefit of the doubt but guys with quick feet should not get beaten as cleanly as was the case with him on Sunday night. He was a turnstile. Jury’s definitely out on him.

But in a much more important matter, what’s your take on the fate of The Great Ramses? LOL. I’m telling you, he’s to you what Wilkinson was to me.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

At least Barden made plays on the field.

Watch Wilkinson against the Pats in Week 17 of 2011 and then in the next few playoff games. He made more plays in 3-4 games than Ramses did his entire career (except, you know, in OTAs when he impressed everyone while no one was playing him hard).

Hey, I was wrong about Wilkinson. But many of you were wrong about Barden. He’s a bum, and even worse, he thought he was a star.

Some of that could be the adjustment to LG. Even when he played guard during the offseason it was RG. You could be right but I think he needs to be given more time before assessment given his lack of reps even in practice.

7.  JimStoll says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN 9m
    Coughlin said that mentoring David Wilson is not the primary reason Jacobs was signed. He’ll be expected to contribute on the field.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

JimStoll says:
    September 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

moving on to the rest of the roster, Baas still on the injury report
    anyone hear anything about his progress?
    we know about Prince; fingers crossed
    what’s the deal with Moore? what was the nature of the shoulder injury?
    was it a separation?

BigBlueGiant says:
    September 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

That sounds right. It seems like we are being careful with him because now he’s been practicing a while. I expect that he plays this week. We need all the pass rushers we have for Peyton.

It’s hard to get down on Baas for his on-field performance. I know he hasn’t exactly lit it up. But there’s a revolving door of jags to his left … and the Clown Prince on his right. What sort of chance does he have with that kind of crap as a supporting cast? He’s probably doing the work of 3.