September 7th, 2013 at 9:00 AM
By Billy Javed

'O'Hara points out the blocking coverage' photo (c) 2008, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ On Sunday, the New York Giants march into a familiar stadium to face the same old foes, though much has changed since the last Big Blue victory in the former Cowboys' Stadium.

Many in Dallas hope that perhaps a name change can finally spell the end of the Giants’ dominance in what is now AT&T Stadium. However, week one may be a bit premature to rely solely on hope, so the Dallas Cowboys have been organizing and preaching another means of defeating their rivals — generating turnovers; a message linebacker and captain Sean Lee claims the team is taking to heart.

“We work on it every day,” Lee said. “We talk about it every day. We have a ball in our meeting room we have to hit when we walk in. It’s on the forefront of our mind every day. If we want to be great, we’ve got to get the ball out and get it back to our offense. It’s every meeting, every practice, it’s on boards.”

Granted, this isn’t exactly a revolutionary gameplan, as just about any coach at any level can tell you turnovers are often the deciding factor in most games. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, the emphasis is necessary for a defensive unit that generated only 16 turnovers last season.

This season, the Cowboys come in with a new Defensive Coordinator in Monte Kiffin who has switched to a traditional base 4-3 Tampa-2 Defense. Thus, the likes of DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, and Jay Ratliff will be called upon to provide the majority of the pass rush as they did last season where the current defensive line was responsible for 30 of the team’s 34 sacks. For the time being, the Cowboys will be without both Spencer (knee) and Ratliff (groin) due to injuries. Expect the Giants to challenge the shuffled group by running the ball right at them to set up the play action for their own shuffled offensive line.

In order to pull off the traditional road warrior upset the Giants will need a strong game out of second year stud David Wilson. Requirements include, first and foremost, protecting Eli Manning, chipping pass rushers, catching the ball in open space and, of course, finding the running lanes and hitting them hard — something that hasn’t been an issue thus far for Wilson.

The one and only knock or potential weakness some have pointed at in regards to the Virginia Tech product is the same that Sean Lee & Co. will be targeting, as you can be sure they have not forgotten what happened to Wilson in his NFL debut last year against these very Cowboys. Wilson fumbled the football early, was clearly distraught on the sidelines, then subsequently benched, and ultimately cemented in Tom Coughlin’s doghouse. Look for Wilson to try to make amends and prove some of his bold Hall of Fame statements from a year ago.

And then there’s Eli, who at this point in his career is rather predictable in terms of potential production. He has the arm, weapons, football IQ, and that elusive clutch gene to keep his team in every game to the final whistle. But at the end of the day Eli is gunslinger who will make some throws that will leave you scratching your head but at the same time it’s those very throws that often bring up the “Elite” conversation.

Can Eli avoid those costly turnovers the Cowboys seem to be fiendishly after? He can, but he can also force a pass or two that yields an interception. A balanced attack could go a long way in facilitating Eli’s decisions.

An interesting note on Eli’s matchup against Monte Kiffin, in 12 career games against the Tampa 2 Defense, Eli has only 9 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. These numbers could mean something, or they could mean nothing as Eli faces the Tampa 2 Defense regularly in practice as Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell has been known to use it on occasion as well. Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure, and we imagine the Giants don’t need any reminding either with Tom Coughlin leading the team; they must win the turnover battle if they want to win this game.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Anthony Spencer, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, David Wilson, DeMarcus Ware, Eli Manning, Football, Jay Ratliff, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Tom Coughlin

8 Responses to “Dallas Cowboys Aim to Turn Tides on New York Giants at Home with an Emphasis on Turnovers”

1.  GIANTT says:

I dont see how Eli and the offense isnt going to have a high scoring game with the defensive players who WONT be playing this week . Just the fact that Dallas only has 3 DTs active will tell you this is something the Giants can exploit by the later portions of the game . If Eli plays even average and doesnt make any stupid throws
    then Im thinking the Giants have a ood chance to outscore Dallas . Not to say Dallas might get Witten to have a good game but certainly not like last year . With increased pressure from ” BIGGER BUTTS” Im expecting Romo to be pressured all day . Jim Stoll thinks 38-35 somebody . I think 27-13 Giants .Im allowing for the fact that the Giants will get at least 2 FGs as someone complains about the lack of scoring in the red/green zone

2.  Alex Ciordia says:

IMO I think were going to see a HUGE game from Wilson. At least 100 yards, 2 Tds, and 2+ plays of 20+ yards. The middle of the dallas d looks to be very weak both in the line and at safety if Wilson can make it to the secondary consistently this game isn’t even going to be close. I like Giantt’s 27-17 prediction.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Kujo, Demo…

Thanks for having my back. I know taking a mans back is both your favorite position to be in.

as for Alam Z, Z Alam or whatever the 16 year old’s name is… Welcome to the board.

Anyway, Demo, I might actually change my handle on this site just for you. How bout BigBlueGiantD*ckOnDemosface?

4.  Marques G says:

Well after listening to all the experts and pundits in the sports world everybody and their mother seems to be picking the Boys’ to win this game, and I feel a lot more comfortable that everybody is picking Dallas. Like it says in the article the Boys’ are missing some big pieces in that DLine of course no one in the media has mention that excepts here, and expect Romo and Dez to just roll all over us. I know we have are issues but they got theirs’ too. I hope we come out and run the ball down their throat and then it won’t matter what Dez and Romo do as they’ll be on the sidelines mostly. Can’t wait for this game exciting!!

5.  James Stoll says:

I said it on the last post, given our respective defenses and offenses, this game looks like a barnburner in the making. I’m thinking 38-35 with the last team with the ball either winning it or making that one offensive mistake that kills the winning drive.
    At the risk of sounding negative, for which I was roundly abused in abstention two threads back, if our offense does not light it up against a decimated Cowboy D-Line and an out of shape recovering Claibourne, then we have serious problems.
    What is difficult to envision right now is the defense being able to stop Dallas despite their offensive line problems, which, by the way, either equal or exceed ours. The last time our defense was remotely good was in 2010 prior to the Philly 4th Q comeback, and the very end of the 2011 season and playoff run. For the better part of 2 1/4 seasons the defense has been scary. Blown out numerous times. Always unable to get off the field on third down. Unable to hold 4th Q leads. With no LBs to cover Witten, Romo has the safety valve to defuse the pass rush. With Witten running free, it forces the CBs to cheat and then Bryant and Austin have the opportunity to eat us up. If DeMarco Murray is able to run, then there are just too many options to cover.
    That said, our DTS not only look able to shut down the middle running lanes, but also to get penetration. If the latter is achieved, the combination of in his face pressure with Tuck, Kiwi, hopefully JPP and Moore coming off the edges, then Tony becomes the QB we know and love.
    But we’ll have to see it to believe it.

So for now I’m going to predict 38-35 Giants with Eli inscribing in the Dallas locker room after the game — Giants Football on your Phone!!

6.  rlhjr says:

It’s hard being either a O or P in these parts. Being real almost always is lumped into being a P. My method is simply calling it like I see it. Don’t much care who disagrees. Because it my opinion vs. a fellow posters opinion(s).
    And we’re all entitled. So to me it’s no harm no foul in most situations.
    Belittling someone for their opinion is straight BS. Because if anyone here knew it all, they wouldn’t be “here” posting. We’re here because we love football in general and the New York Giants in particular. So no matter if you’re an O or a P the common thread is you love the Giants.

Make no mistake, when I evaluate a players talent it’s based solely on what I’ve seen and not on write ups. If I haven’t seen a player perform, I tend keep my thoughts to myself. But no matter what, I own my errors and voice my opinion.

Bottom line is none of us have seen this edition of the Giants perform yet.
    That opportunity comes Sunday night. The only thing we have to go on is what we saw last year. The preseason is not the best of indicators. But I do agree that it should not be totally ignored. Projections?

I think Steve Brown will be missed. I think some think he was a flash in the pan. I think that due to the agreed upon lack of pass rush, his interception count was astounding. The kid could very well be a talented ball hawk.

I think Prince will show us all that he was indeed a early first round pick that we are lucky to have. I think he’s (After Dunk) just the physical size/strength/speed combination to give Bryant fits.

Hosley is a size miss match against Austin. But if playing in zone, Hosley has the speed and ball skills to defend passes. Austin will not run away form Hosley in coverage. However, he could win jump balls and body position battles.

Of the “line baggers” I think Paysinger will show the most. He’s easily the smartest. He now weighs 245 pounds. And he has better than average speed.
    I think Williams can cover and will make it hard for Blomo to find his tight end.

I think the defensive line will be able to generate up the gut pressure. So the ends have to get it done to complete the total package. If Tuck has anything, then its time for it to surface. Same with Kiwi.

JPP and Moore are truly wild cards. But any positive contribution from those two put the Giant D-line over the top. Sunday, I think the Giant D-line will be better than the cow turd O-line. JPP is not a Coughlin decision nor a JPP decision.
    Seeing JPP Sunday night must be a doctors decision. You don’t put that type of talent (10-11 year) at risk over one or two games. Not even five.

Offensive line play has got to be tight. They must execute. Against a cowturd
    D-line missing some pretty good players the Giants unit should thrive.
    The running game should be pretty good because Brewer will provide some push.
    Boothe is a good blocker from the center position. Pugh is ten times better than Diehl and Snee could be feeling much better. We never talk much about the Giants offensive left tackle. That’s because Beatty has quietly become one of the best LT’s in the game. Just ask Trent Cole. We should be raving about Beatty. But because he’s excellent, both the O’s and P’s forget about him.

Our receivers are frankly out of sync with Eli. But that can change in a quarter.
    Especially since I think that’s all they have be working on in practice. I’ll go out on a limb and say between Cruz, Nicks and Randle + Wilson as an outlet the Cowgirls might be rendered a bit crispy Sunday night.

The corner they imported for KC last year is a good one. And Claiborne is (like JPP) a natural. So his lack of practice may only effect his stamina and not his ability to make plays in situations where he’s rested before hand. I.E. third down. But the rest of the boy’z secondary is hot garbage IMHO. And that’s where Eli’s new tight end toy Myers will come up big.

Defensively (at least for this contest) the cowturd strength is linebacker. If the Giants manage to open holes for Wilson and Cox (yeah Cox) The turds have backers who happen to know what to do. Watch and learn Jerry Reese, watch and learn.

Although the cow patties have backer who can stay with Myers, that will leave the likes of Cruz, Nicks, Randle and Murphy to savage their safeties deep.

All n all, I see BLUE, 31-23 Sunday night. Eli will have time to play pitch and catch Blomo won’t. Special teams and kicking will help the Giants as well.

7.  Saadi says:

Billyquat this is too nice hopefully Giants rail the cowboys out

You guys abusing some newbie ? WTF ? I’ve seen this movie. You know, where aliens invade and the earth unites to repel them. Except in this version you know there’d be all sorts of Young Whales product placement sightings. Mighty make everyone forget Sharknado.