Dallas Cowboys’ Anthony Spencer Out Against New York Giants: Report

September 6th, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The New York Giants will be without right tackle David Diehl (thumb) and running back Andre Brown (IR) on Sunday night, but they aren't the only team that's hurting. Bryan Broaddus of DallasCowboys.com reported on Friday that Dallas Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer (knee) will also be ruled out for their week one matchup.

'Fumble' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Spencer had arthroscopic left knee surgery on July 25th and has been unable to practice since then. And although he and the team remained optimistic that he could play on Sunday night, Spencer admitted a recent setback.

“It’s doing better,” He said earlier this week. “I had a little setback some time during the weekend. … The swelling was there for a day in it was gone.”

The seven-year veteran noted that he could possibly participate on a limited basis Friday, but in light of Broaddus' report, that now seems unlikely. Instead, the team will likely shut him down in hopes of having him return in week two against the Kansas City Chiefs.

In 90 career games, Spencer has made 361 tackles and 32.5 sacks. And in two games against the Giants a season ago, Spencer had 12 tackles and one stuff.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Anthony Spencer, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

25 Responses to “Dallas Cowboys’ Anthony Spencer Out Against New York Giants: Report”

1.  Begiant says:

We need to get the ground game going against the Cowboys. With only three DTs and without Spencer, who is good against the run, our running game should be easy to get started. Hopefully that will open up other facets of the offense and help us outscore the Cowboys in their New Meadowlands South yet again.

•  Alex Ciordia says:

If their d-line and Lee can’t stop Wilson at or around the LOS then not only will it be a win for the giants, it won’t even be close because Wilson in the second level screams sustainable long plays out of the run game and that would be before anything that Eli does

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Denver might actually put up 50 points against us next week.

If baltimore’s LB’s and CB’s couldn’t keep up with that offense…how the hell in the world are ours?

It’s not about that. Peyton had no pressure. He will beat anyone with that much time. It’s about our DL pressuring him which we are capable of doing. Bmore was pretty good with that early but then faded. We are deep enough on the DL that we shouldn’t wear down.

There’s defense was highly suspect. They got lucky Jones and the RT got injured. bmore has little depth at those positions so that changed the game.

I would bet the over with confidence.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think you’re discrediting the coaching in the 2nd half for the Broncos.

They made great adjustments to keep that defense of Baltimore’s at bay.

I wouldn’t bet the over with ANY confidence until I see what our offense will do against Dallas. But if the preseason was any indication…. Well, you know what i’m going to say.

They looked to be doing the same things but the pressure front he front stopped. The announcers even mentioned how tired the bmore defense was. It’s the first game and they played in altitude. I didn’t see Denver doing anything different except execute really well are they got lucky on the catch call that really hit the ground.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Yo, Goat, hit me up next Sunday, guy. And we’ll see if you’re singing the same tune about what will happen.

B’more tired? Altitude? Isn’t being in shape and conditioned part of the game? Lame excuse. Denver MADE THEM tired. What they did offensively was extremely impressive, so don’t discredit them. They shreded apart a good defense.

Just throwing out the warning party of what a READY and PREPARED GOOD NFL team will do to us.

I only saw a little of the second half because I was out last night, but my takeaway was different. It was that NO defense in the NFL, under today’s rules, can do much to stop an offense run by a really top quarterback if he has two good wide receivers and a slot receiver who has a two-way option depending upon how the defense plays. It made me even more confident that our offense will be dynamic this season. Remember, we have a better running back than does Denver.

Now, Denver’s back seven is better than ours, but I like our front defense better than theirs. And our defense is definitely better than Baltimore’s, which put next to no pressure on Peyton that I could see. If you don’t pressure Peyton Manning he will cut you up.

I’ll worry about Dallas first, but I think the Manning Bowl could be quite a shootout a week from Sunday. I’m really looking forward to seeing that one.

Keep in mind that Welker could not be covered by the Ravens, and Cruz is better. Only the very best defenses in the league are going to have a chance against him, and not much even in their cases.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

hold on…. Cruz is better than Wes Welker? I can’t sign off on that one just yet. he’s younger for sure, but better… not so sure.

Our defense is better than Baltimore’s? Not so sure about that at all. maybe our D-Line has some players that are better, but i’m not so sure other than JPP.

Also, we will struggle big time covering their TE, Decker, Welker and D Thomas next sunday. Not so sure about a shootout. IF the same Giants that showed up all 4 preseason games show up, we get smoked up 30+

IMO Cruz is definitely better than Welker, and I’ll bet most slot corners would agree.

Our defensive front is certainly better than Baltimore’s. I don’t think it’s even close. Other than Ngata, which of them would possibly start on the Giants? Have to wait and see about our back seven but I don’t think Baltimore’s is elite any longer except for Suggs.

EVERYONE will struggle big-time covering Decker, Welker and Thomas. We’ll have to totally stop their run and then attack Peyton. As for our offense, it’s just a matter of how fast they get in rhythm. Once they do, they should be as hard to stop as the Bronco’s offense.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Baltimore’s LB’s and CB’s are better than ours. And they got thrashed last night. THRASHED.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Cruz needs someone opposite him to make himself a better player. Welker never really needed that “other” guy. That;s the difference IMO.

3.  GIANTT says:

If thats the case ,Spencer out and limited DTs , I expect to see a heavy dose of running to tire them out by the 4th quarter . Nothing spectacular but also it will neutralize whatshisname ? Ware

4.  demo3356 says:

Why did the Giants keep Da’Rel Scott and not Ryan Torain?
    Kevin Gilbride said “You know what he did? The three times in a row we gave him the ball (in the preseason finale), and then that slip screen, I thought he showed as much of a physical presence in the running game that you’d like to see. You know he’s got the speed. And you know that if there’s a hole there he’s going to exploit that and he’s got a chance speed-wise to go the distance, as he did a couple of years ago on that fake punt. No one’s going to catch him. It’s like David (Wilson). But when there isn’t a hole, can he make people miss or can he break a tackle and run through? I thought he hit it with tremendous toughness. It was three plays in a row and they just jumped off the field at you. He’s been doing a good job from the Pittsburgh game on with catching the ball and blocking on third down, so that’s been encouraging. But I think we were waiting to see that dynamism. Just show us something special. As a running back, I thought he did.

I think that’s a fair assessment. The guy is NOT elusive, but he sure showed some power on those plays, and some real determination. If you can get through a tackle it’s as good as avoiding one. I still don’t think the kid has much lateral ability, but if he will hit holes with violence that may be enough. If he gets into open space he’s going to make some big plays, just like Wilson. No question Wilson is the far better back, but Scott may turn out okay as a relief back. Maybe by the fourth quarter when defenders get tired he can power through a hole, run through an arm tackle, and take off for open spaces.

Most knew Spencer wouldn’t play. Truth be told, as I said the other day, Dallas’ offensive and defensive lines are in disarray. The combination of injuries, new players to the scheme, and a lot of questions about talent at some key positions means that if this game were taking place three weeks from now I’d think the Giants would lay at least 35 points on them. The question is, do the Giants yet have any timing on offense? They didn’t show much of it in preseason. But we’ll see on Sunday. If they got their act together over the course of the ten days since they last played then we could be VERY pleasantly surprised Sunday night. If they cannot get pressure on Eli, and they cannot stop the run, just what will be their game plan?

And I just have a feeling that we’re going to see a sack-fest Sunday night that will have Romo wondering what hit him. I love our defensive front and think Dallas has a few problems on their offensive line.

Again, my biggest concern is that Eli recognize what Kiffen is trying to do. Eli has had some really miserable games against Cover-2 defenses in the past. The thing that may obviate that, though, is that the Cover-2 technique of the corners redirecting receivers and forcing them into the strength of that defense may now be illegal. The zebras have some discretion, so we have to see what they allow. But the classic Cover-2 requires the corners to be very “handsy” and stay physically in contact with the receiver beyond the five yards allowed now. I assume TC will have discussed that with the officiating crew prior to the game. But even then, Eli needs to be aware of linebackers slipping into passing lanes when he cannot see them, and of corners undercutting routes because they know a safety has their man covered if they don’t get the ball.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I don’t think anyone on this board writes, posts regularly, casually, or even reads what our opinions are can tell you what kind of team we expect to see Sunday night vs. Dallas. We might look like barnburners or we might lay an egg. But I think that consistency will be a common theme that this team lack throughout this year.

6.  SouthernYank says:

Trying to look at the two rosters objectively; where do the cowboys really have an advantage?

LB’s

Best receiver in Dez. ok, but if nicks is healthy thats pretty much a wash. Overall, I think our skill position players are better

A lot of people would argue CB, but IF webster returns to form I’d give us the nod there. Especially since claiborne has been hurt all preseason

Their O-line is certainly no juggernaut.

The only position, IMO, that is superior to ours is the LB group

7.  Kevin Page says:

The NFL is a WEEK TO WEEK GAME. No team goes out and steamrolls team after team after team. The margin for error is just too thin these days that almost anything within reason can happen.

I find myself, again, really psyched about this season, in part because I have NO idea what to expect. I think a reasonable argument can be made that we are two or three injuries away (excluding Eli) from a really poor season. I also think a reasonable argument can be made for a great run to the playoffs and a genuine shot at winning it all based upon a great offense and a great front line of defense (we won in 2007 and 2011 with a good offense, not great, a great front four in 2007 and a very good one in 2011…in neither year were our back seven on defense anything special).

I think the NFL has reached the point they sought: almost any fan of any team can enter the season hopeful while no fan with any judgment can enter it highly confident that their team will make it to the Super Bowl. The fans in San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta and Denver would probably disagree, but they’re wrong. Each of those teams has its vulnerabilities. Each could slip along the way.