On Sunday, the New York Giants announced the signing of seven practice squad members, leaving one open position. That position was promptly filled on Monday morning as the team added defensive back Jawanza Starling to the unit.
Starling, an undrafted free agent out of USC, signed with the Houston Texas and remained with the team through final cuts over the weekend. He received rave reviews from teammates and coaches throughout rookie mini-camp and into the preseason, but when push came to shove, it was a numbers game and they had to let him go.
At the NFL Combine, Starling did 17 reps and ran a 4.64 40-yard dash. However, it was his three-cone drill (6.68 seconds) that opened some eyes (and we all know the value Big Blue puts on the three-cone drill). He also completed the 60-yard shuffle in 11.62 seconds.
During his four years at USC, Starling made 127 tackles, hauled in four interceptions and defended seven passes.
- Defensive tackle Marvin Austin, waived by the Giants on Saturday, cleared waivers and is meeting with the Detroit Lions today.
- Damontre Moore and Johnathan Hankins each have new jersey numbers. They are No. 98 and No. 96 respectively.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Football, Jawanza Starling, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Charles James, Matt Broha, Julian Talley & Others Signed to New York Giants’ Practice Squad
- Deon Grant Retires from NFL as a Member of the New York Giants
- Hall of Fame WR Cris Carter Talks Bill Parcells, Nearly Becoming Member of New York Giants
- Could 2013 Be Tom Coughlin’s Final Year as New York Giants Head Coach?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/102m