New York Giants Cutdown Day Scorecard

August 31st, 2013 at 10:58 AM

All 32 NFL teams have until 6:00 PM EST on Saturday to trim their respective rosters from 75 players to 53. And while waiver wire claims can not be made until Sunday, there will still be a plethora of moves league-wide that forever change the careers of many.

'Giants729-185' photo (c) 2013, John  Marquez - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

For the New York Giants, they face a lot of tough decisions — decisions made that much more difficult due to a slew of recent injuries. And for head coach Tom Coughlin, he has to spend his 67th birthday breaking horrible news to 20+ players who spent their entire summer dedicated to making the final 53-man roster.

Below is a running scorecard covering all Giants-related releases and transaction. It will be updated as moves are made and/or accounts.

WAIVED/RELEASED:

• Quarterback David Carr

WAIVED/INJURED:

• Offensive lineman Selvish Capers

WAIVED W/ INJURY SETTLEMENT:

• Safety Tyler Sash

INJURED RESERVE:

• Wide receiver Ramses Barden.

SUSPENDED:

• Safety Will Hill (four games)

PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO PERFORM (PUP):

• Defensive tackle Markus Kuhn

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

101 Responses to “New York Giants Cutdown Day Scorecard”

1 2 3 ... 6
  1.  kujo says:

No surprise about those first 2 cuts.

2.  kujo says:

Tebow CUT!

My final roster guess:

QB: Manning, Carr, Nassib (3)

RB: Wilson, Brown, Cox, Torrain (4)

Torrian over Scott simply because his skills come a lot closer to replacing Brown than Scott. Plus as the #2 RB his lack of special teams isn’t a factor.

FB: Hynoski (1)

TE: Myers, Robinson, Donnell (3)

I’m sticking with my surprise here despite Robinson’s injury. I think Donell is too valuble to cut. We can’t afford to carry 4 TEs after Brown’s injury. Pascoe’s skills are replaced by Donnell. The reports this summer implied that Pasoce wasn’t great as FB. Donnell and Robinson can serve as TE blockers while Donnell can be the backup FB. Lastly because most teams don’t use traditional TEs Pascoe is more likely to be around if needed than Donnell.

WR: Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Murphy, Jernigan (5)

It was JJ spot to begin with and no one beat him out. He’s a draft pick. Really to me this is an easy call because no one else here deserves to be on an NFL roster.

OL: Beatty, Boothe, Bass, Snee, Pugh, Diehl, Brewer, Mosley, Cordle (9)

Offense (25)

DE: JPP, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Moore, Tracy (5)

The hardest call. I don’t ever remember a 4 way fight for maybe one spot. I do think we keep 5 DEs simply because is our core position and sometimes we use 3 at a time. I ended up falling back to Tracy for 3 reasons the 3-4 looks, former draft pick and he’s not PS eligible. I think we try to keep 2 of the 3 DEs cut on PS. Ojomo and Trattou can easily find a spot on a 53 elsewhere. Broha can probably make it to PS. Trattou was my runner up.

DT: Joseph, Hankins, Jenkins, Rodgers, Austin (5)

Austin has done enough to show he’s progressing so is locked in. Patterson deserves a spot too but Rodgers provides a specialty player that’s better for the defense. If we pick Patterson over Rodgers I think it means limited 3-4 looks and that could effect DE as well. I say Rodgers and Tracy or Patterson and Trattou.

LB: Rivers, Herzlich, Williams, Connor, Paysinger, Bozworth (6)

I do want to include Bozworth because he’s just another Blackburn type but it makes too much sense. He played well on defense and special teams. Plus keeping 6 when we normally keep 7-8 LBs is already low.

CB: Amukamara, Webster, Hosley, Ross, Thomas, James (6)

James showed CB ability that translate well if need into the slot. He maybe more importantly appeared to be our best PR who combines catching the ball with big play ability. Thomas showed he was healthy. Even the big TD he gave up he was in good position until he stopped his feet. McBride maybe outplayed both these guys but the upside is better for both Thomas and James.

S: Rolle, Mundy, Taylor, (3)

Before people go crazy this is mearly a place holder. I think Brown goes to short term IR and Sash is re-siged or another vet is added to be our 3rd safety. contrary to others I think Taylor will be kept because coaches like him promise and have spoken highly of him.

Defense (25)

ST: Brown, Weatherford, DeOssie (3)

PUP: Kuhn

SUS: Hill

4.  kujo says:

Sash cut!

5.  kujo says:

Dan Graziano ?@DanGrazianoESPN now
    If the Giants cut Sash, as his tweet indicates, must mean Cooper Taylor has improved in their eyes AND they’ll be in market for a vet safety

6.  kujo says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN 9s
    Also cut from the Giants: WR Ramses Barden, per a league source. #NYG

7.  GIANTT says:

We wait with bated breath -
    So , GOAT , you dont see the Giants picking up anyone off the waiver wire ?

8.  GIANTT says:

And Kujo answered my question – of course the teacher is going to have the answers to all my questions today – keep it up

9.  GIANTT says:

So while we wait for the next round – Kujo what subject do you teach those little darlins ?

I assume James is ticketed for the practice squad. He’s the only surprise for me so far.

•  BillyS says:

If he hadn’t miffed that 1 punt I think he possibly could have stuck around on the roster since he was a bubble guy as is. I hope he accepts a practice squad spot, but I think he’s one of those players that has a chance to latch on to a desperate team.

1 2 3 ... 6