August 30th, 2013 at 6:30 AM
By Doug Rush

On Thursday night, the New York Giants were hit with the injury bug again when running back Andre Brown left the game just before halftime hobbling and went to the locker room to get x-rays on his left leg. It was then revealed that he suffered a broken leg for the second time in two years and it was speculated through the night that Brown's season likely was over before getting started.

However, it looks like his season might not be done after all as Brown told reporters after the Giants 28-20 loss to the New England Patriots that he only has a small crack in his left leg and it's not as serious unlike the broken leg he suffered last November and feels like he can come back from the injury.

Brown doesn't feel that surgery will be needed, which would be a huge victory for him, as he was supposed to be the other starting running back on the team with David Wilson, but with the injury to the leg, he will likely be out for the Giants Week 1 meeting with the Dallas Cowboys on September 8.

If Brown's injury isn't as serious as everyone suspected it; he won't have to go on season-ending injured reserve, nor would he have to go on temporary injured reserve, and could simply return in a few weeks; pending that is if the injury is in fact not that serious.

If the Giants were to use the temporary IR for Brown though, they couldn't use it until September 3. The team also has to get the roster down to 53 players by 6 p.m. on Saturday night; so Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has some important roster decisions to make with Brown, Michael Cox, Ryan Torain and Da'Rel Scott and if they make the team or not, especially considering Brown's injury.

If there are any setbacks with Brown's leg and he is forced to miss the 2013 season, there's always the possibility of the Giants looking to free agency at someone like Brandon Jacobs, whose name was mentioned during the live telecast a lot as a potential replacement if needed.

Stay tuned to Giants 101 for updates regarding Brown and the status of his injured leg.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Da'Rel Scott, David Wilson, Football, Michael Cox, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Torain

7 Responses to “New York Giants RB Andre Brown: It’s not a Bad Break, not That Serious of Injury”

1.  G-MenFan says:

Love the kid but he’s made of glass. Cox is turning out to be a great draft pick.

•  James Stoll says:

What are the temporary IR rules? Out 6 weeks? 8?
      I think the giants should IR Brown and see how he heels and keep all 4 backs
      Talk of bringing back BJ is crazy. He is long past his prime and was never more than a novelty back to begin with. His pass protection was always his best skill set
      Dude should have been a blocking TE

2.  James Stoll says:

I turned the game off with a minute and a half to go so I missed the fact that the Pats hucked a TD with 9 seconds to go
    Luv the Pats

Hmmm. I wonder could this be a hairline fracture. A few weeks would be crazy considering what was reported. But it seems that more likely he’s the test case for the short term IR. So far since Brown has been brittle maybe playing half the season is the best thing.

Constructing this roster became a lot more difficult from last night. Even if Brown is temp IR the RB position now becomes difficult to figure out. I’m guessing now we have to keep 4 so both Scott and Torrain go from off the roster to on the roster.

Then how hurt is Robinson? Does that mean we have to keep 4 TEs? I want to cut Pascoe but that can only happen if Robinson’s injury is mild. A walking book nowadays tells us nothing. The MRI will tell us a lot.

Then there’s the underplayed injury with Sash. Given what happen with our past concussions it seems like a less than 50% chance Sash could be ready for week one. So now what do we do at safety? Taylor made one glaring horrible play but the kid played most of the game and did hid job most of the time. I never envisioned him as a deep safety, I think we were just seeing what he could do. I think he’s our 4th safety. But who’s our 3rd safety for Dallas. I think we pick up a safety to be that over Sash. I think the concussion could cost him his roster spot.

James should be our PR. I think he made the team.

At DT I think we should look to trade Patterson for a RB or safety. I think he’s the odd guy out. It would surprise me if he made it over Rodgers as I originally predicted though. I think it comes down to how much of the 3-4 we really use. If it’s just a little then Rodgers is not as valuable but if it’s decent amount then I think Rodgers value increases.

DE is the most difficult position on this roster. I really think it’s 4 deep for maybe one spot. Tracy had the lead but hasn’t done much in games. I think he’s better against the run than some realize but he’s been the 4th best pass rusher out of a group of 4. But he’s probably saved if we plan on using the 3-4 more than a little bit.

Nassib is on the roster. The kid got very little practice time and except for 2 series last night was behind security guards and running for his life. He did nothing deserving to get cut.

4.  The Original G Man says:

I wonder if (assuming he’s able) they would consider using Hynoski as their short yardage guy while Brown is out?

•  Dirt says:

Why not throw caution to the wind and use their BEST guy, Wilson, in all sorts of sitiations, including short yardage?