It's been almost two weeks since Victor Cruz suffered a heel injury during the New York Giants' 20-12 preseason loss to the Indianapolis Colts after having one of the Indianapolis defender's fall on his foot in the first quarter and forcing his early exit from the game.
Since that Sunday night, Cruz has been on the sidelines for the Giants, not participating in practice and sat out the Giants 24-21 overtime loss to the New York Jets this past Saturday as he continues to heel up the injury and focus on being ready for Week 1 against the Dallas Cowboys on September 8.
On Monday, Cruz took the latest step in ensuring that he will be ready for the regular season, as he was able to shed the crutches and walking boot that he had been using since last Sunday to take as much pressure off the heel as possible to prevent any further aggravation.
Giants head coach Tom Coughlin told Connor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger at Monday's practice that everything is going accordingly to plan for Cruz's rehab and is still on target to be back for the start of the 2013 season.
"From my understanding he's getting better but it's certainly not tomorrow morning," Coughlin said.
With Coughlin's comments, it's almost a safe bet to assume that Cruz won't be taking part in the team's preseason finale against the New England Patriots on Thursday night at Gillette Stadium. Cruz had gotten off to a hot start to the preseason when he caught a 57-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning in the Giants 18-13 preseason win over the Pittsburgh Steelers back on August 10 and had signed a brand new six-year, $45.879 million extension with the Giants last month before training camp started.
The 26-year-old Cruz is coming off two straight seasons where he was the team's leading receiver, as he had 86 catches for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns back in the 2012 season and is looking to duplicate his success again in 2013.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz in Walking Boot & on Crutches; David Diehl Has Cast on Right Hand
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Out of Walking Boot; Hoping for Preseason Return
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Day-To-Day with Heel Bruise; Could Miss Remainder of Preseason
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Suffers Heel Bruise; Tom Coughlin Expresses Concern
- New York Giants’ Kevin Gilbride on Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz Missing Practice: “They Both Need It”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zqg