Antrel Rolle Would “Absolutely” Want Kenny Phillips Back with New York Giants

August 27th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Shortly after the Philadelphia Eagles released safety Kenny Phillips on Sunday, he was on the phone with his former New York Giants teammate, Antrel Rolle. And although he stresses that the decision is not his to make, Rolle said, emphatically, that he would "absolutely" want Phillips back with Big Blue.

'Aaron Ross and Kenny Phillips' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"Would I like to see him? Absolutely. But it’s not my call, it’s not my call to make and you have to leave that up to personnel, the owners and GM," Rolle said on Monday. "They’ll do the right job, I’m more than confident they’ll make the right choice as far as who they want to bring in or what they want to do as far as our defensive personnel in its entirety."

It's no surprise that Rolle — who displays an incredible amount of respect for every current and former teammate — would want his friend back with the Giants. And given that they've recently lost Stevie Brown (knee) for the season, there's no denying that depth at the position is now not only a concern, but a need.

Still, the Giants allowed Phillips to walk largely due to chronic injuries — the same reason he currently finds himself without a team. And given his inability to practice most of the offseason, it would appear as if he's not yet ready to return to the field. And when asked if his friend is healthy, Rolle passed on the question, saying "I don't know."

General Manager Jerry Reese maintains that the team will always "investigate everything," but unless Phillips' medical records check out, a return to the Giants seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, the team may have interest in safety Tom Zbikowski, who was recently cut by the Chicago Bears.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Stevie Brown

45 Responses to “Antrel Rolle Would “Absolutely” Want Kenny Phillips Back with New York Giants”

From where we were a month ago the only thing that would provide any long term concern after Bass returns is Brown’s injury. All of our other injuries have been short term and it’s quite possibly everyone except Bass is ready for Dallas. The rookie class has provided exactly what we hoped. Pugh is a starter. Hankins a key backup and run stuffer. Moore is an impact pass rusher who looks to be able to replace the Osi pass rush we got last year. Cox has shown enough as a KR to make playing Wilson there unnecessary and as a RB enough to lock down the 3rd RB spot. Nassib and Taylor haven’t done much but the 4th preseason game the both finally get a real chance for extended playing time.

The DL looks even better than was hope with really everyone besides Joseph in the 2 deep being better than advertised. If we knew Austin would play this well would have all assume he would be our 3rd or 4th DT. But Rodgers, Patterson and Hankins have played so well that Austin though very likely to make the team is only 5th on the depth chart. Kiwi and Moore have played well enough that it would have been assumed Tuck was in trouble of losing his starting spot. But Tuck has played so well there has never been a mention of that happening. Then people like me were concerned about CB depth, think we only had 4 pro level CBs. Now it looks like we have 8 with TT, James, Frederick and McBride.

LBs haven’t been that good but that’s what was expected. I expected to see a little better play than we have seen (though the LBs are improving IMO). But the consensus opinion was about what we have seen so far.

The OL has people going crazy but we have Pugh now at RT and have yet to play with the full starting unit.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

You think the LB play has been “improving”? On what ground do you measure that? Did you watch the Jets game? The Jets miserable offense exploited them big time. They looked dreadful.

I thought they looked better than week 1. I never said they looked good. I think they are playing the run better for the most part. I think Rivers played much better the past 2 weeks. I’m looking to get the unit to average. I don’t think what I have seen so far leads me to think the unit will be any worse than last year. Given they LBs haven’t played together much is the same configuration I expect improvement through out the season.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

they’ll be as bad as they were last year.

I think they will be better. But some of it is the DL. I think we will do a much better job of stopping the run and allowing our sub packages with only 2 LBs to play. Our LB strength is in coverage. If we force teams to pass this LB group will be better because Williams, Rivers and Paysinger vs the pass are good.

2.  jfunk says:

If Kenny is healthy enough to lineup, he’s the easy quick fix to our safety problem. Assuming he doesn’t hate the Giants so much he’d turn down 3/4 of a MM to show the world he can still play this year. Even if health makes him just spot starter, he’s worth it.

What will Will Hill do during his exile from the team? Let’s hope Charlie Way is ready to earn his money this year, he’s got his work cut out for him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

KP won’t get anything more than the Vet min unless some other safety gets injured on another team.

When does he clear waivers?

No waiver because he’s played more than 4 years. He’s a free agent.

They key is does KP want to return because it makes sense if he’s close to healthy. Maybe the hold up is waiting to see if KP is healthy. Also seeing how guys look out there Thursday. With likely no Rolle, Mundy and Sash will be the starters. So that leaves a ton of playing time for Taylor, Caldwell and possibly TT.

Jerry Jones admits Jay Ratliff may remain on PUP list into regular season

This means that Ratliff is very likely out versus us. since we will likely be playing Boothe at center this is a big deal.

Seems to me that if they had any interest in KP that they’d have had him in for a physical.

5.  JimStoll says:

for those hypothesizing that KP might be resigned, I say you are nuts.
    Does anyone really think the Eagles would let him go if he was healthy?
    even last year before he got hurt again, he showed how good his talent is.
    he’s a sad example of injuries cutting short what could have been a brilliant career
    but he wasn’t healthy enough to practice with the eagles and so he couldn’t even make the first cut
    his best bet is a year of rest and to hope someone gives him a chance next preseason

It’s a new coaching staff. Reid would have ever let him go if healthy but Kelly is worried about building his own team. He can’t wait on a vet from another team who he’s barely seen practice and has an injury history. Form the reports he was just banged up like Webster or Moore have been.

Sometimes the first cut is done out of respect so the player has time to find another team. That’s why some of the big names were released.

•  JimStoll says:

Balderdash!!!!!
        KP, if healthy, is a premier safety in a league where safety is an ever more important position.
        No way Kelley lets him go if he is healthy or plagued only by a minor non-knee related issue
        The guy’s resume is too strong and he’s young (26)
        but he has degenerative knee disease and he hurt his knee last season and against form, the Giants tried to force him back too soon aggravating the condition further
        The kid is done unfortunately

I’m not saying KP is definitely good. I’m saying that because KP was cut doesn’t mean he’s definitely done. This is really completely up to the medical stuff in my view. If they say he’s good sign him, if not then don’t.

To be a contender in the NFC East you have to play well against the 3 teams in your Division. ‘Playing well’ means no worse than 4-2. Sweep the weak sister and split with the other 2. Because if you don’t then you probably aren’t winning the Division … and the Wildcard is a crap shoot as we found out last season. And this is what has me worried …

Eagles … they should suck. But they’re going to run an up-tempo option offense. It’s no secret. There are 30 teams in the NFL who will be prepared for this. However we … team 31 … will be taken by surprise. No easy games there.

Redskins … or the R-words as I like to call them. Division champs … and a-holes. Last minute bomb saved us in the first one after we played like crap. The second time around they said they were going to beat us … then rubbed our noses in it and did exactly that … they have our number … and after last seasons’ humiliation they think we’re scared of them. They’re right.

Dallas … gets closer and closer every year. They made fools of us at home when we were the defending champs. And only Dez’s finger kept them from a sweep. Guess what … Dez is better this year. Ouch.

Not a pretty picture. Tell me I’m wrong.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

You’re not wrong. And you have to think the Eagles will be better than 4 wins.

Eagles- i just dont see our defense having the personal to stop that up tempo offense that they will run. Given the fact that our LB’s are our achilles, they’ll expose the $hit out of us.

Skins- I dont see them being as good as they were last year. I think teams will figure things out a bit, except us. We will be lost against them.

Dallas- As much as It pains me to say this, i think that Dallas will be a pretty good club this year and win this division. Yeah, new coaches/ new defensive scheme… Won’t matter. Monte Kiffen is running that Defense, and they do have some pretty good players on that side of the ball.

Philly is dangerous as an opponent but they are not winning the division. I have them at 5 wins but they could win 7. Their offense can be really good. But losing Maclin hurts and their defense looks by far the worse in the division. They still probably have the worse offense in a division filled with high caliber offenses.

Dallas is the same type of team they have been. I think the main disagreement is that Kiffin is an upgrade over Ryan. Today IMO Ryan is a better DC than Kiffin and the 3-4 is a better fit for most of their front 7 except Carter. Kiffin has been horrible as a DC that last few years with enough talent at USC to be far better than he was. Maybe he will be better in the NFL but I still take Ryan over him today. No doubt Kiffin has had a HOF career as a DC but he’s lost something. Also I don’t like the Dallas depth on the DL, their starters are good but depth sucks. It’s a long year and that will hurt them. They still have safety issues. They are an 8-8, maybe 9-7 team to me.

I think Washington is our main challenger. I have been watching them this preseason and the team is much more than RG3. On offense their only weaknesses are RT and lack of a pure #1 WR. But they have a lot of good WRs, TEs and RBs. Helu and Robinson are scary role players. Their defense really has a major influx of draft picks in the secondary. They might not be any better there but now they have hope. The front 7 with Orakpo back is tough. Their best front 7 player though is Cofield, he’s been a monster. So while I think RG3 won’t be as effective this year I think they are a 9-7 type team that could be better. I think the NFC east can be much better than it’s been the past few years. I think it will take 11 wins to win the division.

Every year Dallas is a few “don’t eff it up Tony”s away from the Division. This year he’s focused. Could make the difference.

•  norm says:

Krow,

I won’t tell you you’re wrong. Nor will I tell you you’re right.

The NFL’s a funny ol’ game. Every new season is, for many teams, a fresh roll of the dice. The recent past often means squat. This is a league that routinely sees a 25%-50% turnover in playoff teams from year to year. Accurately predicting just how an NFL season will play out from the vantage point of August is a mug’s game. A fun exercise for barroom debate or internet discussions fo’ sho but I wouldn’t put any real money on it.

Sure, you’ll always have your Raiders, your Jaguars – crappy organizations that can never get out of their own way and will reliably suck. And then you have your Broncos, your Pats, your Packers – teams with established franchise QBs who figure to be in it in December.

I don’t think it’s being especially “homerish” to number the Giants among that latter grouping. As I noted the other day, the Giants have been in the playoff hunt pretty much every year under Eli and Coughlin, with a game or two in December usually spelling the difference between success or failure. I have seen nothing yet to indicate that this year will be any different, regardless of how daunting our divisional opponents may look on August 27, 2013.

Fair enuf. For the record I’m not saying we’re going to be a bad football team. I’m just going through it in my head, trying to see what we need to do to make the playoffs. What I really worry about is that the game … the league … could be changing. And let’s be honest … there’s a lot good about the NY Football Giants … but making quick changes isn’t one of them.

I’m also not seeing a lot of emotion. Maybe after the cuts that will pick up. But last year there were many times when we couldn’t match the fire of the other team. Out hustled … out hit. We need an infusion of toughness. It’d be nice to see someone lay on a big smackdown. But hey … pre-season … way early.

One of the wisest posts in weeks. The truth is that at this point NO ONE knows how the season will play out for any team. Injuries happen. Bad breaks happen. You meet a team when it’s hot, you meet a team when it’s cold. You get lucky on one big play. Your defense guesses right on an offensive play that turns the game. Your coordinator reads the mind of his opposite and you have a perfect game plan on a given week, he guesses wrong the next week and you look awful with the same players on the field.

I think one thing that can be said is that the NFC East looks like it’s returning to its place near the top of the league after a down year in 2012. Winning this division will not be easy. Another that can be said is that having a franchise quarterback and continuity among your coaches gives you as good a chance as anyone.

Well sure … anything can happen. But we still have to go 4-2 in the Division against tough opponents. Can we ? Sure. Will we ? We’d better.

Those two games against the Skins in December will probably determine the story of our season.

As to KP, I’m not buying that he didn’t make the first cut simply because some rookie coach wants to make his team his way and the guy couldn’t practice. There’s plenty of tape on this guy and everyone knows that when healthy he’s one of the best deep safeties in the NFL. You don’t let that guy walk unless you’re convinced he’s unable to play this season (or ever, or that all of his salary was based upon making the roster on the cut-down to 75).

I suspect the Giants will ask him to come in for a physical as a courtesy if nothing else. But unless they think his knee is sound enough to play they can’t afford to keep him on the roster. If the Eagles thought he would recover they’d have probably put him on the PUP list or even on IR with the knowledge that he could be recalled later as their exception (he probably wouldn’t be, but he could be). I think you have to assume that the Giants knew more than we’ve been told about his medical condition, and that this poor kid is done before he was able to get that second, big, contract. At least he came into the NFL when first-round picks were still getting big bucks. Hopefully, he saved a lot of his money.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d LOVE to have him back at 95% of what he was. I just don’t believe his real problem is a quad.

There may very well have been a lot we didn’t know about when he left. The team is pretty closed mouth about those things. And so far there’s nary a squeak.

8.  giankees says:

I think the redskins will take a step back rg3 has a knee and that wont be good for a running qb. Even if he is healthy again i dobt beleive they will expose him to the same hits as last yr which will affect his yardage a lot.

Eagles salary dumped last yr and got rid of a ton of talent in the trenches. They built themselves from the outside in. Plus vick will have a bruised sternum or a concussion by week6 like every year.

Cowboys are always talented. But if you trust romo more than eli youneed your head checked.he is gonna have to prove it first than i will beleive in romo. Plus they havent had an offensive line so we will see.

Giants have infused themselves with some key talent and have gotten healthy in some key areas.and have a full off season which all sb champs have a tough time with. If the ol holds up and the secondary stays healthy the giants will be tough. They showed signs of beingvthe best in the nfc last yr beating up the pack and the niners. They also showed signs of checking out and being hungover.

Healthy nicks and cruz with the progression from wilson and randle could make a huge season offensively

Healthy jpp healthy tuck and kiwi and moore making plays on def along with a number of added dts could make a big difference up front and hide the deficincies at lb.
    Last yr cwebb had a horrible yr but we have some guys this yr that can spell him if ge has lost it.last yr we didnt.

Worried about safety, center and mlb. Oh and im worried DD will get healthy and coughlin will some how try to start him again and ruin everything

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina
    JPP looking fresh and quick out there. He’s had some snaps with the staters today.

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina
    I don’t know if JPP will be ready for Dallas, but he sure has looked active today. Big test will be how he feels later and tomorrow.

Ohm Youngmisuk ?@NotoriousOHM
    >> Rt “@KieranDarcy: Terrell Thomas with first unit in nickel, joining Prince and Webster. Aaron Ross with second group.”

Wow!! If they think TT can handle being in the first group already then his recovery must be pretty darned good.

Like I said earlier, if TT can play for us then his presence plus Ross’ presence way more than makes up for anything we’ll lose from Stevie Brown.

I wonder who’s the starting nickel CB? While we are holding our breathe on TT, he’s starting to turn into a real factor. Maybe our 3rd CB, maybe a look at safety. In any case CB is in far far better position than I thought 1 month ago.

I have always thought JPP would play versus Dallas and these reports make me think that’s all but confirmed. After a day getting first teams snaps is big.

Well, we lost a potential Pro Bowler at MIKE in Jake Muasau. After all, he’s Samoan, isn’t he?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I felt like Mussau didn’t really get a fair shake this time around. either that or Bosworth played him off this team.

Muasua nor Sabino even got real looks during preseason. I think we will keep one or even both on PS. I almost think it was designed to get them to PS.