New York Giants Sign OL Austin Holtz

August 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 AM

On Sunday, undrafted rookie offensive tackle, Austin Holtz, found himself without a job after being released by the Detroit Lions. But his unemployment was short-lived as the New York Giants, needing offensive line depth after a slew of injuries, signed him.

Holtz, out of Ball State, was signed by the Lions shortly after the conclusion of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played 11 snaps in their preseason opener against the New York Jets, but saw no action in their week two game against the Cleveland Browns. He was then waived in order to make room for tackle Kevin Haslam.

A 2012 All-Mid-American Conference First Team selection, Holtz started all 13 games for Ball State in his senior season, and 33 overall. He, along with the rest of their offensive line, paved the way for Jahwan Edwards, who rushed for 1,410 yards — the third highest total in school history.

The signing of Holtz brings the Giants back up to a 90-man roster having also signed wide receiver Terrell Sinkfield on Wednesday.

The first round of cuts — trimming the roster from 90 to 75 — is due to be completed by 4:00 PM EST on Tuesday, August 27th.

You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Austin Holtz, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Sinkfield

39 Responses to “New York Giants Sign OL Austin Holtz”

If I had to guess I’d say the Giants were originally interested in him as a project. Small school guy with a lot to learn. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him on the PS. He’s here to audition for that … not to contend for a roster spot.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head here. Ball State had a very good offensive line last season and I guess this kid must have been the best of them since he got a shot at the NFL. The fact that the Lions didn’t try to get him to their practice team, though, is a bit of a negative indicator.

2.  JimStoll says:

Saturday’s game holds a little excitement in that we get a look at TT and Pugh
    Will TT start opposite Prince with CW hurting?
    That would be fun to watch; although it’s not like the Jets have either a QB or a WR.
    Pugh starting is of course the marquee event. It would be nice to see us both run right for the first time in 3 years, as well as pass protect just a little. It will also be interested to see what Snee looks like next to Pugh.

Given the collective wisdom that the Jets always put more into this game than the Giants and way more than it deserves, I would still err on the side of leaning on the running game far more than the passing game. And I would really like to see Cox run behind the 1′s, just to see what we really have there. I know that’s not going to happen, but a boy can wish.

When we do pass, given that there will be no Cruz or Murphy, I would cool it with the vertical game and see what we can do with screens and swing passes to Wilson, Brown and Cox, and underneath routes to Jernigan. A TE sighting would be nice as well, but I don’t want to get too greedy.

I am also hoping that the Jets kicker doesn’t boom KOs through the end zone so we can see cox return a few kicks.

Just as an aside, for everyone convinced Connor is a bum because he wasn’t a starter for the Cowboys until Lee went down last year, note that they just gave Lee a 6-year extension with $16MM in guarantees and the possibility of a total payout of over $51MM if he stays healthy. Obviously, the Cowboys consider Sean Lee a key to their defense, so being behind him on the depth chart was not shameful.

Connor is not great, but it’s been a LONG time since we had a great middle linebacker, and we’ve managed pretty well with “good” players back there. Connor IS “good”. It’s disappointing that Herzlich couldn’t beat him out, but competition allows the cream to rise to the top and it certainly seems that Connor is the better choice. Maybe it should have been Muasau competing with him instead?

Saturday’s game will be huge for Pugh (trying to cement his place by playing well and gaining the confidence of the coaches), Thomas (trying to satisfy himself and the team that he’s close to 95% and can help right now rather than possibly a year from now), Jernigan (trying to make sure he sticks and at the same time demonstrate what I think he will, which is that he’s a pretty decent slot receiver), Patterson (fighting all the odds to try and get a roster spot, which I think he deserves), Austin (needing to show he deserves another year on the roster even if he will hardly ever suit up), Brewer (needing to show something that puts him in competition for a spot next season rather than being labeled a disappointment), Mosley (trying to jump past Brewer on the depth chart), Cox (trying to get that #3 running back spot), Torrain and Scott (fighting to stay in the league), and Cordle (trying to prove that should Baas get hurt down the road he’s the guy who should be next man up).

Good game to watch.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Yes, no shame being buried behind Sean Lee or Bruce Carter. But that doesn’t mean that he’s any good.

There’s not one LB on our team that would start on another team.

•  demo3356 says:

A healthy Keith Rivers can start on most teams. I also belive Williams is a prototypical WILL in today’s throw first NFL. Other than that our LB core is a raging grease fire

•  JimStoll says:

I don’t look at the Cowboy’s contract decisions as ratification of anything.
          Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

not sure Rivers would start on most teams. I dont think teams have DIRE LB problems like we do.

And Jwillz hasn’t even won himself the starting role on a team that has no LB’s.

•  JimStoll says:

for all those trying to argue that we have LB talent on this roster, all I can say is, show me a few games where these guys actually make some plays that matter. then we can talk.

•  demo3356 says:

JWill will not only win the starting job, he will be the LB who plays the most snaps on this roster…By a mile

•  JimStoll says:

yes, but will he be any good
              since somebody has to play, standing alone, that is hardly an endorsement for the quality of his play

•  demo3356 says:

Wiliams was awesome as a rookie, he was banged up much of last year. Guy will be a player for us. He is one of the best coverage LB’s in the league

4.  demo3356 says:

I like Conner and believe he is a really good run stuffer. Unfortunately the league has turned into a flag football spread them out chuck and duck Ariel game where slow plodding MLB’s dont cut it. He and Herzlick would both be great MLB’s ten years ago, but now they are liabilities. They can both contribute on running plays but wil be targets in the passing game

•  JimStoll says:

where we need connor or Herzlich to play BIG is against the Skins. They have to plug the middle and stop Morris and leave the Skins nothing but the outside runs with RG and of course downfield passing.
      But it was the dive play that made that offense work, especially against us.

•  demo3356 says:

Much more important then them is the play of the DT’s. Rogers, Patterson and Landfill will be huge in those games. I believe the Skins are the reason JR loaded up on DT’S

Agreed, assuming Patterson is here. I’ve made my opinions clear as to that matter.

•  demo3356 says:

We agree 100% on Patterson. Guy is a monster if healthy. It will be interesting to see if the front office keeps the guy that is the much better NFL DT right now or keep the much younger guy in Austin who has shown nothing but has a very high ceiling and is a former #2 pick

This !

DTs have to stop the option dive or it’s another year watching the playoffs.

•  demo3356 says:

Option dive is going nowhere with any combination of Rogers, Patterson and Landfill out there. Look for Jenkins to get snaps at DE vs them too

I’ve said many times, we have two pretty damned good LBers in Williams and Rivers. Neither is fabulous against a run directed right at them, but neither are any but the most elite linebackers in the league, and that skill is of diminished value now that coverage is every bit as important for linebackers as is stopping the run. Williams and Rivers could start for plenty of teams. At a minimum they’d be getting plenty of snaps for just about any team except the Niners, and Williams would undoubtedly get snaps there too.

Connor is solid against the run, and as Jim says, we will need that against the Skins. I raised the roof last season and insisted that it was Morris who was killing us, not RGIII, and that our abysmal play at DT, and MIKE was what was causing a lot of defensive breakdowns. Reese obviously saw this and went out and vastly improved our run defense up the middle. Connor is part of that “solution”. Yeah, he isn’t great in coverage, but I noticed a few plays that he read perfectly, dropped reasonably quickly into the middle zone, and at least forced the quarterback to make a very precise throw. That’s more than we’ve had of late. Connor is not the long-term solution at MIKE we need, but he isn’t a bum either. I’ll take him over Blackburn, the late-stage Pierce, and Herzlich. We didn’t have Goff long enough to know what he might have become. In any case, I’ll take Connor and be less dissatisfied than I’ve been with that position than usual. I still wish Muasau got a real look. If nothing else, the kid plays with abandon.

It’s a shame about Goff, we would have had a solid solution at MLB for 4-5 year if he didn’t get injured.

I was happy to hear from my friend’s son, the scout, who was at the final team practice, that he thought Linval Joseph had a “beyond-great” practice and that some of his fellow freelance scouts said it was the first time they’d seen him look like “the real thing” all summer. I wonder if he’s had a nagging injury or if he just has been taking the “Veteran Way” in camp of easing himself into football shape and just getting ready for Week 1?

In any case, I was awfully happy to hear that because I think he has looked like dog-poo in 2012 and so far this preseason. Maybe he’s about to break out and show what he can do. That would be a very nice addition to the team from someone who hasn’t been contributing much yet.

•  demo3356 says:

I think he was a victim of playing next to a banged up Canty, an inexperienced Kuhn, a not up to Par Austin and the shadow of what was Rocky Bernard. Playing next to the artist formerly known as Justin Tuck and an up he field 5 yards selling out for the sack Osi dint help either

OK … so who’s down to their last chance this Saturday ?

My candidates … in order of importance …

* TT
    * Marvin Austin
    * JJ Jernigan … and if he doesn’t play then he’d better pray

•  demo3356 says:

I think TT stays if he doesn’t get hurt. I think Austin and JJ will have Saturday and the final game to show something. Pretty sure JJ makes the team barring an injury or a Victor Cruz like showing from one of the no name WR’s in camp. Austin has to show big time the next two games or I take Patterson and Rogrs over him easily. JR does love him some early draf picks though

•  JimStoll says:

with Barden sporting a knee, and Murphy too, JJ really has received a new lease on life
        if he makes 2 or 3 plays Saturday, and heaven forbid, breaks one for significant YAC, I now think he sticks

the list of players who are bubbling Saturday has to include Ojomo
        given that Moore hasn’t practiced since the Pitt game, he has no real opportunity to show anything against front line players the rest of the way out
        so if Ojomo doesn’t at least play against the 2′s does that mean he’s gone?

Ojomo made the team playing against scrubs last year. He’s a weird case. I think he has to play well and have both Tracy & Trattou struggle. Trattou might be a sleeper to make the roster.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Put Aaron Curry on this list as well.

8.  demo3356 says:

The 15 guys that get chopped after this game will all be no name scrubinskis.. The cuts after final game will be the tough ones. DL, Backup QB, RB will all be very interesting.. Especially DL, 2-3 very solid players are getting bounced

I had high hopes for Hardy. Liked his ST potential. But he ruined all that by dropping the ball. So he’s down to his last bullet too.

1st down … Landfill and Rogers at DT. Who’s with me ???

Me.

But Rogers has to be kept to about 20 snaps at most, so Landfill and Jenkins too, sometimes Landfill and Patterson.

•  JimStoll says:

until I see the season unfold, I will remain skeptical about the durability of Rogers and patterson
          Hope I’m wrong but father time rarely takes a year off, and generally speaking when a team with years of experience think their once very good player is too injured to compete, they are generally right (think Steve Smith/KP)

but I am hoping the Eagles are just idiots and that rogers used last year as a means of rejuvenation