August 20th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

As time slowly ticks away and the regular season draws nearer and nearer, the New York Giants are approaching a critical point when it comes to players who remain on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. They'll soon be forced to make a decision on whether or not they're activated from the list or if they'll miss the first six weeks of the season. And, at least in the case of fullback Henry Hynoski, it's beginning to look like he might be ready after all.

"Hynoski has been working very well," head coach Tom Coughlin said on Monday. "[The Doctors are] pleased with his work and he was the only one mentioned from the PUP group this morning by the doctors. I didn’t ask specifically about Markus or Jason."

The words "hope" and "optimism" have been used repeatedly as it relates to Hynoski and that hasn't wavered. Of course, the phrase "sure thing" hasn't been muttered once, and there's still a possibility that the fullback won't be ready by week one. However, things remain encouraging and even Hynoski said a week ago that there have been absolutely no setbacks.

"It’s been going great," he said. "I’ve been out here running and started to do some drills and agility work and that stuff so we’re picking up the progress every day, and I’m just excited for the next step and am just looking forward to what tomorrow brings. I feel good. Haven’t had any setbacks, out here watching practice and I’m in the film room and still learning, even though I’m not practicing. I’m working my butt off in trying to rehab and trying to maintain the best condition as I can so when I get back I don’t have to play catch up as far as that’s concerned. I’m lifting just about every day, I’m in good shape, and just have to keep advancing and make the strides I’ve been making all along with therapy."

Hynoski originally suffered his MCL injury on the very first day of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), and the Giants have taken looks at multiple fullbacks since then, including Vonta Leach who recently re-signed with the Baltimore Ravens. But, for the moment, they plan to move forward with tight end Bear Pascoe filling that role and Ben Guidugli backing him up.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Bear Pascoe, Ben Guidugli, Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Vonta Leach

22 Responses to “New York Giants Remain Hopeful Henry Hynoski Will Be Ready for Opener Against Dallas Cowboys”

1.  JimStoll says:

Guard
    Travelle Wharton (RT)
    Cooper Carlisle
    Bobbie Williams
    Brian Waters
    Geoff Hangartner (C)
    Deuce Lutui (4-game suspension)
    Jason Spitz (C)
    Leonard Davis
    Derrick Dockery
    Rex Hadnot (C)
    Reggie Wells (RT)
    Russ Hochstein (G)
    Mitch Petrus
    Jamey Richard

Center
    Eugene Amano
    Kyle DeVan (G)
    John Estes

2.  GIANTT says:

BBG , I didnt miss it (from the last thread referring to the previous threads ) , I thought I would toss my 2 cents in there too .
    Whats concerning to me is the continuation of an offensive scheme that smacks of
    previous offenses which to be honest didnt get it done very well and were very predictable . The opportunity to take the strengths of the CURRENT players and use them doesnt seem to be showing .
    I just hope its the Giants practicing the bland stuff and saving any real changes and new wrinkles for the regular season

•  JimStoll says:

GIANTT

we have a coaching staff that has been running the same offense since 1992
      as much as we scream, it will not change
      this offense runs entirely on Eli’s ability to connect on big pass plays
      that looks a bit dicey right now as the offensive line looks as bad or worse than last year’s version right now
      hopefully that changes due to the coaches trusting Pugh to start and Pugh being good enough to start, and Brewer suddenly being good enough to start
      although we have the talent at running back to both run the ball and use the flat, running the offensive scheme largely out of the shotgun limits the available plays to the dreaded shotgun draw and not much else

•  BigBlueGiant says:

pretty much this.

I dont see us dramatically getting better in the red zone anytime soon. It’s been a lingering problem for years now.

We really need this guy bad. Given the lack of push from the O-line we need another hat available on running plays to enable Wilson and Brown to find some room out there. Hynoski is excellent at getting to the linebackers and safeties coming up to plug gaps (what few of them the O-line is creating) and gives the runner a crease sometimes. That’s especially needed when we have Myers (who is trying, but still isn’t a great blocker) at tight end.

I get it. Our offense runs through Eli and protecting him is the sine qua non for these guys. We haven’t built a group of nasty run-blockers who can steamroll defenses but are vulnerable to speed that can get by them to the quarterback (please no comments about Diehl….I have complained about his play against speed rushers just as much as the next guy). That does, though, put a large burden on the tight ends and fullback because if we’re not getting a push at the LOS we definitely need those extra hats moving defenders enough to allow the runner a chance to get into the second line of defense. So I understand the approach, and don’t really disagree with it, but it requires that the TEs and fullback do a terrific job in order to keep a balanced offense in working order.

Getting back Hynoscerous will instantly make our run game better. And when we’re in two-TE sets and run to Robinson’s side the running will also improve.

•  JimStoll says:

are you suggesting that the line actually protects Eli?

Basically, except for the right tackle, they do a pretty good job of it. Eli has become very adept at feeling the pressure from his right and still getting rid of the ball before it gets to him, but imagine what he could do if he was protected for another second.

4.  F0XLIN says:

All the beats on twitter are reporting rumor is he will be removed from the PUP next week.

I’m a big fan of TC, and Flaherty, and now even if begrudgingly, Gilbride. But there’s something really missing from these guys’ football IQ if they stick with Diehl at right tackle. Is loyalty really going to be carried far enough to hurt the team when they have a puncher’s chance at a ring?

Maybe Reese knew what he was doing when he refused to sign O’Hara and Seubert because he suspected Coughlin would stick with them when they were no longer good enough. In retrospect, I wonder if he secretly hoped Diehl would refuse to take the huge discount he had to give the Giants in order to stick around? I’m going to guess that Coughlin and Flaherty wanted DD around because they felt comfortable with him, his veteran knowledge, his toughness and the fact that he appeared to be getting into excellent condition. I also suspect Reese wanted him gone and his draft picks given the real chance to take over (especially Brewer and Mosley….he couldn’t have known when dealing with Diehl that he’d be able to get Pugh in the draft). So the compromise was that he get paid as if he were a depth player. Now we’d all better hope that TC didn’t outmaneuver Reese and figure that as long as Diehl was on the team he was going to be kept at RT. IF that happens then there is something dreadfully wrong with the coaching staff.

•  F0XLIN says:

Garafolo reporting they are sliding DD to LG, Boothe to Center, Pugh to RT with Baas injury for now

So yes there is still something wrong with their football IQ, he was just as bad as G as he is at RT

Hmm, well that’s better than nothing. It gets Pugh established at RT and Diehl out of contention for the spot. Now, assuming he can beat off Mosley and Brewer (hard for me to believe, but who knows?) it would seem that when Baas returns the coaches can give Boothe back that spot and finally end Diehl’s role as a starter. It would be a very “non-confrontational” way of easing a respected veteran whom they want to help mentor the kids out without damaging his pride too much. I don’t know if they are that smooth, but if so it’s a nicely planned approach.

Of course it works a lot better if Baas is ready for Dallas. If not, then I hope they give Brewer and Mosley a fair shot at the position. But I have doubts about that.

•  GmenMania says:

+1. However, I honestly don’t think that’s the plan. For some odd reason, the coaching staff is married to the idea of Diehl as a starter, and I doubt anything (except an injury to Diehl) will change that. When Baas gets back, I suspect that they will go back to the original configuration of the O-line with Diehl at RT.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I’d prefer DD to do his beating off on the bench.

LOL. I guess the censors missed that one. Hey, he isn’t doing much blocking on the field so he’d have time for it whether on the field or on the bench.

God help us if that happens. Unless Pugh really screws up I would hope that it’s his position for the next decade or more.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

The ONLY “blessing in disguise” is that Pugh will finally get a look against a young, hungry Jets DL. If he can perform, he may be able to sow up the RT position. The question then becomes, if Baas ever gets healthy and returns…does Boothe return to LG?

Maybe we can win the daily double and also see Ojomo against some young and hungry offensive linemen who may actually be playing on Sundays?

That may be too much to ask from this staff.

Unless they’re trying to hide him (hard to do when there’s so much tape of his dominant play, even if against scrubs for the most part), I just do not get what they’re doing with him. He is, literally, the member of the defense who is making the most plays, with the possible exception of Moore. Hell, he’s making more plays than ANYONE on the team. See what he can do against top competition. It isn’t rocket science. It’s just smart coaching.

6.  GmenMania says:

Bad news: Cruz in a boot and crutches.

They probably just want him to keep pressure off the heel. It cannot be a bad injury because he was literally hopping around on the sideline later in the game. I’ll be stunned if he doesn’t play in Week 1.

•  Sintexo says:

While obviously that’s never a good sign, they do also follow it up with: “but the Giants and Cruz are both virtually certain Cruz will be ready for the opener. He’s been diagnosed with a mere bruise after jamming his heel against the Colts on Sunday night. Cruz’s crutches and boot are likely intended to minimize soreness.”

•  Aziz Mohamed says: