August 16th, 2013 at 5:15 PM
By Doug Rush

New York Giants star wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is expected to play on Sunday night when the team plays in their second preseason game of the summer at MetLife Stadium against the Indianapolis Colts.

'Eli Manning Warms Up with Hakeem Nicks' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Nicks didn't play last weekend for the Giants in their preseason opener at Heinz Field against the Pittsburgh Steelers, as he had been recovering from a groin strain that he suffered in the beginning of training camp late last month.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin told Connor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger that barring any unforeseen setbacks with the groin, he will have Nicks suit up at home when they play the Colts and should see anywhere between 20-25 snaps with the first-team offense.

Coughlin also mentioned that Terrell Thomas will not play in the game against Indianapolis and neither will Curtis Painter as David Carr will get the backup snaps at quarterback on Sunday night.

You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Curtis Painter, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas, Tom Coughlin

19 Responses to “New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks Expected to Play on Sunday Vs. Indianapolis Colts”

1.  Sintexo says:

KingAndrewXXIII says:
    August 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Man, I really wish we could have landed Jon Bostic in the draft…

The guy has pretty much secured the starting MLB spot on the Bears. And their first round pick Kyle Long has the highest Pro Football Focus grade of all NFL offensive linemen at this point in the preseason.

Meanwhile, our first round OL draft pick cannot unseat David “Turnstile” Diehl and we still have no starting MLB.

————————————————————————————————

I had the same sentiment about both those guys after watching them last night. Not giving up on Pugh though, and Hankins is looking to be a long term piece on our DL.

New bag policy …

I don’t believe for a second that it had much to do with security. It’s more over their concern that people might be bringing in consumables … and reducing the take at the concession and beer stands.

In the NFL it’s always about the money.

•  Sintexo says:

Exactly, and its not just the NFL. At VT football games, they don’t even let you bring empty cups/bottles. I’ve never actually tried sneaking food in, so I’m not sure what they’d do about that.

3.  LUZZ says:

Seriously? We have **** envy over the Bears Front office? Has anyone looked at the bears last 4-5 drafts? The have 2 1st round OLmen that are flat out busts, 1 about the get cut, last years 1st round DE still can’t get on the field. They have missed on every WR they have selected over the last years.

After 2 preseason games we’re now wishing we had their front office.

JR is one of the best in the business. Stop pointing out his misses as if he is just average.

•  Sintexo says:

I said nothing of the sort. I was merely commenting on how good Bostic has looked so far, combined with the fact that I really wanted a LB drafted at some point last draft.

•  kujo says:

Yeah who envies their front office? People are commenting on players, not the people who took them in the draft.

•  kujo says:

So his misses (of which there are MANY) are verboten, because we’re Giants fans and we love the Giants and everyone on our team ad our whole front office and their families and yay Giants?

Be honest. There is a time for homerism. But honest debate is NOT that time.

4.  LUZZ says:

If you pay attention to other teams around the league and their drafting you would know that JR misses far less than the rest of the league.

Yes, he has misses but the rest of the GMs have plenty too.

•  kujo says:

Who said anything different than that, dude?

And who cares? He makes mistakes. If its not a big deal, why do some, like yourself, rush to defend his maidenhead? It’s sorta like Eli–I love the guy, and wouldn’t trade him for anyone in the league. But he doesn’t get a pass when he throws dumba– interceptions. JR has drafted some serious clunkers. Do other GMs do the same thing with greater regularity? Yes. Still doesn’t make his mistakes any less of a mistake.

5.  Sintexo says:

I’m not saying that either of Pugh or Hankins are going to be misses, but I do know that when it was our pick in the 2nd round, I was hoping to hear Bostic’s name and was a little disappointed when they said Hankins instead.

And watching him play so far, I would be pretty content with that pick.

•  kujo says:

He’s like a dog barking at a brick wall. He’s b-tching at people for saying stuff that they simply didn’t say. Whatever.

6.  kujo says:

Brady has a f’n canon

(Don’t worry, Luzz. My compliment does not mean that I am suggesting we trade Eli for Brady.)

7.  LUZZ says:

Kujo – You sure have me figured out, nice work. How did you ever figure out that I’m a Giants homer? Was it the fact that I’ve been posting on Giants101 for nearly 7 years now? We’re all homers, dude.

Over the last 2 days you have been clearly suggesting that Reese’s draft results make him less than a great GM. Now, if you’re backing off those comments because you realize how stupid they are, fine. Otherwise I’m here to tell you that you really don’t understand how the NFL draft works.

A GM should hit on his #1 picks with great consistency. They should hit on their #2 and #3 picks more often than not. Everything else is complete gravy if it’s a hit. So getting on here and calling a 4th round pick a bust is stupid and represents a complete lack of understanding of the NFL draft.

GM’s will always miss on draft picks. Just like great hitters make outs in over half their at bats. Pointing out Miguel Caberea’s outs and suggesting he’s not as great as we all think would be as foolish as what you are doing with Reese.

•  kujo says:

I’ve pointed out that some of his poor draft picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds have been worrisome. I’ve noted the players–8 in the 3 drafts preceding the most recent– and pointed out that, in more than a few of those cases, the picks drew skepticism amidst all the usual post-draft optimism. People rightly questioned the wisdom of selecting guys like Sintim, Beckum and Jernigan because they clearly didn’t fit the schemes we run; they questioned guys like Barden and Austin because of their physical limitations (speed with the former; size with the latter). True, Reese has hit homers in ALL of his 1st rounds (with the only possible exception of Ross, who has turned into a good player, not a great one). But his record in the next 3 rounds isn’t without impugnity.

But that’s besides the point. The point I was looking to make wasn’t negative towards Reeae, but rather a reality check from the constant knob gobbling he receives. He’s excellent, clearly in the top 3 or 4 in the league. You and others keep trying to paint my views into a corner, and that’s fine.

•  Sintexo says:

Hey, at least we didn’t draft A.J. Jenkins. That is crazy to me that they’re considering cutting a 2012 1st round pick.

8.  giankees says:

I dont think the running qb works over the long haul. I think it can work for a short period of time but its too ez to get an injury and expose these guys to big hits. Also most times the back up is not a running qb and you have to start all over again. Im not sure we have ever seen a running qb make it consistently and like we believe vick will be hurt by week 4 i think these running qbs all have potential to be injured early.

9.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Yeah – I was making an observation about the Bears top 2 draft picks. Yes, they have botched picks in the past, as has every GM…but if you go back to pre-draft threads, I was one of the guys around here banging the drum for Bostic in the 2nd. He is going to make some rookie mistakes, but this kid is already out there flashing more than ANYTHING we have seen at LB in a decade…and that is what it is. It would have been great to land him – and I stand by that. I do in fact really like the picks of Hankins (who does look very good…and quick for such a big man) and Damontre Moore (who I think could turn out to be the steal of the draft) – but I won’t sit here and pretend to love the Pugh or Nassib picks – and I didn’t at the time they were drafted…especially with guys like Xavier Rhodes, Kyle Long (who I did like, but did view as a reach where the Bears selected him) Marcus Trufant, etc. were there in the 1st round and guys like Barrett Jones and Khassim Greene (who coincidentally the Bears snagged too) were sitting there in the 4th..but having said that, I realize I am not an NFL GM, I am not Jerry Reese – and I get the logic behind both picks.

Look, I get that it’s only the preseason. There’s A LOT of football left to be played – and these rookies haven’t even begun to scratch the surface of their potential. Drafts generally take at least 2-3 years to even begin to see real results…so the jury is out. I made an observation on 2 draft picks – one of which MANY posters on here wanted in Bostic. Never once said anything pertaining to switching front offices with the Bears or anyone else.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I also shouldn’t have to note this…but I will: I obviously HOPE that both Pugh and Nassib have very successful careers with the Giants. If Pugh winds up a long term starter anywhere along the OL (which I maintain that while he MAY wind up playing RT this season if he can unseat Diehl, that I believe he will wind up as a G/C) and Nassib winds up netting us a high draft pick…I will consider them both very solid picks.