When New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle went down with a sprained ankle on Monday, he said it was the most "excruciating" pain he's experienced in his lifetime. He added that he heard a few pops as it happened, and that led to some pretty significant concern. As it turned out however, Rolle suffered no breaks or ligament damage, and even avoided the dreaded high ankle sprain.
On Wednesday, the news got even better for Rolle, who showed up to Quest Diagnostic Training Center sans walking boot.
"I'm a fast healer. [And] boots are for wimps," Rolle said, adding that he grinded all night to get rid of it. "I ain't no wimp. I’ve never been a guy who’s milked an injury.”
Shedding the boot wasn't just for show, either. Despite only two days having passed since he sustained the injury, Rolle says he's feeling a lot better and not ruling out a preseason return.
"It just feels a million times better than it did initially," he said.
The veteran safety went as far as to say he wanted to play against the Indianapolis Colts this weekend, but realistically, that's a pipe dream. Minor injury or not, there's little to no chance the Giants risk a re-injury or setback in what amounts to an absolutely meaningless preseason game.
Still, it's difficult for a guy like Rolle to sit out. After all, this is a hard-nosed player who hasn't missed a single game since joining the Giants (regular season or playoffs), and someone who hasn't missed a game since week 17 of the 2009 NFL season (the only game he's missed since 2005) when he was with the Arizona Cardinals.
At this point, it's relatively safe to assume Rolle will be A-OK and ready to go when the Giants open their season in Texas against Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.Antrel Rolle, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Doesn’t Suffer High Ankle Sprain; Hopeful for Regular Season Opener
- New York Giants’ Ryan Mundy: I’m Ready to Fill in for Antrel Rolle as a Starter
- New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle Carted Off Field After Suffering Ankle Injury
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: “No Doubt I Can Be a Pro Bowl Player Again”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/z12