August 13th, 2013 at 4:02 PM
By Doug Rush

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride knows what his offensive unit is capable of doing in the 2013 season, especially since what the offense did a year ago.

In 2012, the offense, coached by Gilbride and lead by two-time Super Bowl MVP quarterback Eli Manning, had the sixth highest scoring offense in the NFL with 429 points, which averaged 26.8 points per game. In the 16 games played, in six of them, the Giants scored 30 or more points and had at least 25 points in nine of the 16 games.

In two of the final four games for the Giants, the offense put up 52 points on the New Orleans Saints in Week 14 and 41 points in Week 17 against the Philadelphia Eagles, both of which were at home at MetLife Stadium, a surrounding that the players have gotten comfortable with and used to playing with, especially in the cold, which both games were played in.

At the team's training camp at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, Gilbride told Steve Serby of the New York Post that he feels the offense could be one of the league's very best from what he has seen.

“We’ve been pretty good for a long time. … I would be disappointed if we’re not one of the better offenses in the league, one that’s capable of controlling games, one’s that capable of winning games at the end when you got to drive the ball down to score a touchdown at the end,” Gilbride told The Post. “We finished first in the league in two-minute production again last year. … I never like to make a prediction — I know that’s contrary to some people in this league — where we’re going to wind up."

Gilbride also mentioned how the team needs to steer clear from injuries in order to be one of the NFL's best, their star players in the unit, like Manning, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz and David Wilson, will all have to stay healthy and be on the field for the majority of the season.

“But I’d be disappointed if we’re not a good football team and have a really strong offensive unit. … But you never know, injuries are such a big part of it, and we got some guys that are going to have to show that they can play — the tight end position’s one, the tailback position, we got new guys there, so there’s a lot of ifs. Do I think they’re going to come through? Yeah I do, ’cause I believe in our guys and I know they’re working hard at it. But until you actually go out and do it on Sunday on a consistent basis, it’s hard for me to make any bold predictions.”
Gilbride mentioned that the group of receivers; Nicks, Cruz, Rueben Randle, along with tight end Brandon Murphy have a chance to be as good, maybe even better than the unit during the 2007-2008 run, which featured Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, David Tyree and Steve Smith; a group that was key in winning Super Bowl XLII over the New England Patriots and each receiver caught crucial passes in the game, as well as during the season.

But, in order for Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Myers, and even newcomer Louis Murphy to be on that level, it's all about consistency, plus staying on the field. If it can be done will be determined once the pads are on and the players on the field.

Photo credit: alexa627 / Foter / CC BY

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Brandon Myers, David Wilson, Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kevin Gilbride, Louis Murphy, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Victor Cruz

18 Responses to “New York Giants OC Kevin Gilbride Says Offense Could Be Elite in NFL If Kept Healthy”

Well, I’m going to, again, open myself up here, but Gilbride is saying exactly what I’ve been saying since we signed Myers, even down to agreeing with my statement that I think this offense is better than they had in their championship season in 2007 (when we had a great running game behind an elite offensive line).

I also think if JPP gets healthy we’ll have a better defensive line than we had in that year despite the fact that we don’t have Michael Strahan. Tuck was the huge, pleasant surprise that year. Moore looks like he could be that this time around.

In any case, this offense and Steve Weatherford can carry us a long way if they stay healthy. The defense just has to be adequate.

We should be good. The issue is if we’re good enough. With the Niners, Falcons, Packers, and Seahawks around “good” won’t be winning a title.

•  GmenMania says:

+1. I don’t think anyone would disagree with you that this offense easily has the potential to be tops in the NFL. For me, it all hinges on the performance of the O-line. Depending on how they do, this offense could be anywhere from top 10 to best in the league.

•  JimStoll says:

I don’t disagree, but on the cautionary side we have a ton of what-ifs, plus we know (sadly) that we will likely suffer our share of serious injuries

the biggest what-if is the defense

other than the crazy turn-around just before the start of the 2011 playoffs, the unit has been more bad than good for 2 years running
      will we be better this year?
      will tuck return to some semblance of his 2010 form?
      will JPP really be okay despite the surgery and apparently missing the entire preseason?
      will the DTs be a marked improvement over last season’s dreaful group?
      will this crop of no-name, rag-tag LBs be any better than any other group we’ve cobbled together over the past decade?
      is the Safety position a strength or a weakness?
      will Fewell screw the whole thing up with his cockamamie schemes no matter what?

offensively, it would appear that injury aside, the only thing that can slow us down is the O-Line
      we ought to be a top 2 or 3 offense in the NFC
      but will we?
      will our maddening inability to score TD’s inside the 20 continue for the upteenth year?
      will we be able to convert on short yardgae plays?
      will we control the clock and tempo of the game?
      or will we per force need to rely on the big play?; which means we need everyone healthy and converting at just the right moment

given our perennial 9-7 finishes, the question remains whether the talent can be turned into results

Gillbride isn’t making a bold statement. I don’t think our 2007 offense was all that great anyway. When Ballard and all the WRs were on the field our 2011 group of receivers was clearly better than 2007. Toomer was a great player but by 2007 he was just a possession guy. Smith was nice slot guy in 2007 but nowhere near Cruz today. Plax was a top tier #1 WR but when healthy Nicks is the same. Boss as a rookie was decent but nothing great.

But the running game was elite. And the O-line had no question marks.

I think Gilbride is here expressing the feeling that the O-line will be “good enough” or he would not make that statement. We should all feel pretty good about that.

I’ve also said our offense will be better than our 2011 offense. I don’t think it will be close.

Our defense, overall, should be better too, although when Kenny Phillips was healthy he made a huge contribution.

But we don’t have to beat the 2007 or 2011 Giants. We have to beat a bunch of very good teams in 2013 that are also probably better than those two teams were.

I agree. The OL is the same except Beatty is at LT replacing McKensie while diehl switches sides. The main difference is we have RBs that don’t need big creases so our offense should be more balanced from the start than 2011. I think Randle should make more of those almost great plays Manningham made.

Defense no CB depth and no KP are my biggest questions compared to 2011. I have concerns at LBs but I think we will end up getting ok playing the running game and good playing the passing game. Rolle should flourish playing more of KP’s role, the question is can Brown play Rolle’s role as well as Rolle did. The DL should be better though the pure pass rush might not be quite as good.

Actaully, the biggest question might be Eli. Not a question of can Eli play well but can he play 2011 well again? 2011 the stats don’t show how good Eli was that year. If Eli is close to his 2011 form he might put up Peyton like TD to Int numbers.

Yeah, Eli was truly great in 2011. That was a tough season to duplicate.

Your concerns are mine in regard to CB depth. That worries me a bit, although I felt better about it seeing a few no-names play quite well against the Steelers.

No way Brown will equal Rolle, and I don’t think the #3 guy will equal Grant, so I think the safeties from 2011 were definitely better. But the linebackers on that team were lousy so I think we’ll do better. And I think we’re all going to love our defensive line this season.

Unfortunately, I think a number of other cities are going to love their teams this season too, with good reason.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Well I don’t know if our Offense will be better than 2011, but there is at least a chance. With a healthy Nicks, and if Randle can solidify himself as the 2nd outside target. Also depends if Brown and Wilson can handle the full RB load. But I don’t disagree your enthusiasm towards our Offense although I think the OL is a big question mark.

(You mentioned that our OL will be good enough to win. That to me is a meaningless statement. Pitt won the SB in 2008 with a terrible OL. So yes a bad OL can win a lot of games but it doesn’t mean you can call them good)

But we disagree on the defense. This group worries me a lot. Tuck and Kiwi, god bless them, will never be the same players they were, and to be honest are probably close to retirement. Ditto for Webster, Rolle and Ross. And while I’m excited about JPP, Prince, and Moore, there are a lot more questions than sure things. Especially the worst group of LB’s that JR has put on the field during his tenure, which says a lot.

I didn’t call the O-line good. I just think we can win with them.

I think Rolle could play another 4-5 years, easy, and play well. Look at Ed Reed.

I really like Prince and Hosley and am counting on them to be very good. And I think among Webster, Ross and Thomas we will have a serviceable third corner. I worry about our depth at corner.

I have a feeling the linebackers will be okay, but that’s because I like Paysinger and Rivers a lot more than most do, and because I think Tracy may play more SAM than was expected. I also have not given up on Curry. If he shows something the whole equation changes because he should be very capable against the run.

And a front with JPP, Jenkins, Moore, all the other candidates at defensive tackle and even a somewhat diminished Tuck and Kiwi should be pretty special. But if neither of those two has a good season then I’d agree that there’s at least something to worry about. I’ll be surprised, though, if NEITHER of them shows up strong. We’ll have to wait and see.

I can’t say you shouldn’t be concerned on defense because we do have some older players that last year appeared to be slowing down last year. But I think last year there was some lax offseason training due to the SB that caused the older guys not to be as effective. 30-31 is getting old but young enough you can still play at or near your prime. I think Tuck and Kiwi will be greatly aided by a deep group which will allow Tuck especially to play less snaps. Webster I think will be aided a lot by playing #2 WRs. Rolle I think is the only one of the older players that played well last year and I think he should be better not playing the nickel and in more of a free safety role.

I think the LBs have much more talent than some of the recent groups but it might take some time for them to come together and find the right roles. I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 LBs had roles in regular packages in this defense. Let’s not forget that the rookie Jones was our starting MLB 2 years ago and Blackburn was brought off the street. Kiwi played well but was still a liability in coverage. And Boley was never that good in the running game.

With LT settled our OL will be fine. You can help one tackle and the interior is solid in pass protection. The RBs we have only needs creases and now the real holes AB and BJ needed.

4.  GmenMania says:

Ralph Vacchiano
    ?@RVacchianoNYDN
    Strange. FB Ryan D’Imperio, the only fullback on the Giants’ roster, has retired from football. Giants signed FB Ben Guidugli to replace him

Very strange. I wonder I this had something to do with Donnell getting a good number of FB snaps. If Hynoski stays on PUP I think Donnell has a good shot of making the 53.

We won’t be an elite offense if we can’t punch it in from the 5 … if we settle for FGs instead of TDs … and if we can’t pick up 3rd-and-short.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

hearing KP’s knee isn’t holding up well. Might not make the eagles roster.

7.  GmenMania says:

UUT

8.  Andiamo P says:

I hate hearing the coaches talking about players staying healthy. As if we as fans don’t understand that.

it just sounds like an excuse.

I realize KG doesn’t mean it like that, but when I see the headline “KG says O can be elite if healthy” just sounds like a man who has 1 game plan and he needs all 11 guys to stay healthy to execute it, and if one gets hurt, welp…it’s not may fault. He got hurt.