On Monday, New York Giants starting free safety Antrel Rolle had to be carted off from practice as he has suffered from what the team is calling a sprained ankle after getting his foot caught with tight end Bear Pascoe's while going up to defend a pass.
Free agent pickup Ryan Mundy took over for Rolle in the first-team snaps on the defense and if Rolle is out for an extended period of time, the former Pittsburgh Steelers safety will assume the starting duties for Rolle.
On Tuesday, Rolle addressed the media about the injury and delivered good news to everyone, stating that he does not have a high ankle sprain, although he did call it a "pretty good sprain" and was in a walking boot.
"Just thank God it is nothing too severe, nothing I can’t work through with just a little bit of time and hard work," Rolle said.
Rolle did mention that he doesn't have an known timetable for when he will return to the team, but he did say that he's not even thinking about missing the opener on September 8 against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 of the 2013 season.
With Rolle being one of the more consistent players in the Giants defense over the last four seasons, it's very important to have him in the lineup, but more importantly, having him healthy is even more important to the strength of the unit. It's very likely that head coach Tom Coughlin and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell will hold Rolle out for most of the preseason if needed, even if it's as a precautionary to make sure Rolle doesn't do any further damage to the ankle.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Ryan Mundy, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle Carted Off Field After Suffering Ankle Injury
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: All NFC East Quarterbacks are Elite
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: “No Doubt I Can Be a Pro Bowl Player Again”
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: “It’s Like Night and Day on Defense from Last Year”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/yyn