With David Carr under contract, and having traded up to select Ryan Nassib in the 2013 NFL Draft, you'd think Curtis Painter's attendance at New York Giants training camp is merely a formality. But you'd be wrong. In fact, after a solid performance on Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride acknowledged that the battle between Nassib, Carr and Painter for the No. 2 spot is "legitimate."
"I think there’s no question, it’s a legitimate competition," Gilbride said. “I think [Painter] has played pretty well. I thought he was throwing the ball to the right spot. And when he had the time, he made some good throws.”
With the primary focus on Eli Manning, as it usually is, and the eyes on rookie Ryan Nassib, Painter has been the forgotten man. Little is spoken about how he's looked in practice, and he's rarely considered in the final 53-man roster discussion. But he's clearly done something to get the attention of his coaches and the decision makers.
In Saturday's 18-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Painter looked good, going 5-for-11 for 55 yards. By comparison, Carr went 7-for-11, passing for 64 yards.
The Giants will obviously need to continue their assessment of the situation, and the next opportunity the back-up trio have to prove themselves comes on Sunday night when Big Blue plays host to Painter's former team, the Indianapolis Colts.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.Curtis Painter, David Carr, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib
- Giants’ Kevin Gilbride on David Wilson: There are Still Mistakes, but Also “Significant” Growth
- New York Giants QB David Carr on Ryan Nassib: He’s Been a Quick Learner
- New York Giants’ David Carr on Ryan Nassib: “I’m Here to Help Him”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/ywj