August 12th, 2013 at 5:00 PM

With David Carr under contract, and having traded up to select Ryan Nassib in the 2013 NFL Draft, you'd think Curtis Painter's attendance at New York Giants training camp is merely a formality. But you'd be wrong. In fact, after a solid performance on Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride acknowledged that the battle between Nassib, Carr and Painter for the No. 2 spot is "legitimate."

"I think there’s no question, it’s a legitimate competition," Gilbride said. “I think [Painter] has played pretty well. I thought he was throwing the ball to the right spot. And when he had the time, he made some good throws.”

With the primary focus on Eli Manning, as it usually is, and the eyes on rookie Ryan Nassib, Painter has been the forgotten man. Little is spoken about how he's looked in practice, and he's rarely considered in the final 53-man roster discussion. But he's clearly done something to get the attention of his coaches and the decision makers.

In Saturday's 18-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Painter looked good, going 5-for-11 for 55 yards. By comparison, Carr went 7-for-11, passing for 64 yards.

The Giants will obviously need to continue their assessment of the situation, and the next opportunity the back-up trio have to prove themselves comes on Sunday night when Big Blue plays host to Painter's former team, the Indianapolis Colts.

Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall / Foter / CC BY-SA

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Curtis Painter, David Carr, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib

61 Responses to “New York Giants’ Kevin Gilbride: Competition Between David Carr, Curtis Painter is “Legitimate””

1.  Sintexo says:

Apparently Pugh was practicing at LT with the twos and threes today.

Any further word on Rolle. That’s one injury we can’t afford.

I know Nosh likes to be provocative but his assessment of the O-line is ridiculous.

I’m glad they signed another wide receiver. I sure don’t want Barden getting a free pass to the roster. Jernigan did reasonably well on Saturday but his unavailabilty for practice today is troubling.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Still upset that I murdered you on that whole Cruz thing. It’s OK, you’ll get over it, eventually.

Are you kidding me? You were wrong according to Cruz himself. No question who is the #1 receiver and most except you knew it. I guess fools are also sore losers at times.

•  HopLax says:

+1. Nosh this has gotten old, please fade away on the Victor Cruz is our #1 receiver, you continue to embarrass yourself……even after the fact.

4.  Sintexo says:

Speaking of Ojomo and special teams:

Still looks like he’s got a steep uphill battle to make the final roster.

5.  GmenMania says:

I would hardly call Painter’s performance on Saturday “solid” or “good”. He looked pretty bad to me.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Looked pretty good to me. Far better than I expected. Had quite a few people remark to me similar thoughts.

•  GmenMania says:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

•  rlhjr says:

That’s Painters high water mark. I think he goes down hill from here.

Moving Pugh the LT keeps him away from D Moore…..LOL.

I think that tight end will end up being the Giants strongest position if they keep the kid from Grambling. Defensive end, provided JPP comes back well is every bit as strong.

Andre Brown and Cox create their running lanes. Wilson needs a crease to exploit.
        Either way Brown should be the starter and Wilson the change of pace. And if he learns the system quickly, Cox should spell both of them. Looking at another rendition of EW&F not that far off.

Right now it looks like Blue has everything they need with two exceptions:

1. linebackers specifically MIKE
        2. Push from the offensive line. They need a stud guard who can play from day one.
        Pugh strikes me as a technician. The line needs maulers at RT and either of the guard spots.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’m certainly not suggesting he’s won (or will win) anything. Merely saying he didn’t look awful. He looked better than Nassib and, arguably, better than Carr.

6.  Kevros says:

At the end of the day, I’m sure ‘trel will be fine, at the end of the day…

7.  Nosh.0 says:

And my opinions are not really that provocative. If a fan were to only watch games, and not listen to any media, then Cruz being Nick’s equal would not be a bold statement. Nor would Cam Newton being better than RG3 or Westbrook being Durants eqaul or Reyes being a better player than David Wright.

And above all else that fan who only watches games, would know unequivocally, that David Deihl can not play football anymore.

•  kujo says:

Yeah I don’t see what was so “provocative” about your assessment.

Beatty- Franchise left tackle for the next 4 years

Boothe- The quintessential New York Giants overachiever; a guy who is intermittently “fine” while also being “not so good” on at least half of the snaps

Baas- I never liked this guy. Yeah, he was effective during the Super Bowl run in 2011, but that was his high water mark. The vast majority of his tenure has been underwhelming at best. At some point, you are what you are.

Snee- A Giants HoFer who will likely hang ‘em up after this season or next. At one point, he was the best OL we had. Now, he’s dangerously close being a JAG. Needs to have the sort of bounce-back year you don’t usually see guys his age have.

Diehl- Come on. Let’s be real.

That’s where we stand now. Your level of optimism about the 3 young bucks in the stable–Pugh, Mosley and Brewer– will ultimately determine how you grade the short to intermediate-term future of this unit. But right now, I don’t even think it’s a question that our line is suspect. We can get by with 1 weak link (i.e.- Diehl, David). But Boothe, Baas and Snee really need to give us a whole lot more than they did last year if this group is going to be anything less than its annual title of Offensive Equivalent of our Putrid Linebacking Corps.

Can’t wait for what you guys will say when the offensive line proves entirely adequate. Let’s see how many points this offense scores in 2013 with this terrible, horrible, offensive line that is so hopeless. Then we’ll talk.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Real question is…

Does the offense score more points then this defense allows?

I’m going to say no.

I’ll take the other side of that bet.

•  HopLax says:

Yeah….and I stopped putting ANY stock in your prognostication abilities when you said we should tank the 2011 season so we could draft Vontaz Burfict

•  GmenMania says:

No one is saying that the offensive line is terrible or horrible. I think most believe that it’s probably gonna be similar to years’ past, when it was barely average or slightly below average. I, at least, think adequate is entirely insufficient given how many resources we’ve invested in this OL (big contracts for Beatty, Baas, and Snee and high draft picks like Beatty and Pugh).

•  BigBlueGiant says:

this.

Seemed to be alot of the same against pittsburgh.

Couldn’t run. Can;t score Touchdown’s inside the 5…etc.

•  kujo says:

“Can’t run. Can’t score in the redzone. Predictable playcalling. All erased by Eli Manning and A Magical Wide Receiver..”

The definition of Giants Football since 2009.

Nosh did. Kujo just about did.

•  kujo says:

First off, I’d suggest that hoping for adequacy is precisely the problem I’ve been railing against since before Obama was in the White House. But that’s besides the point: I’ve never said that they can’t be “adequate,” or that we won’t score a whole mess of points this year. On the contrary, if they can be “adequate” as a run-blocking unit, and be predictable in their averageness in terms of pass protection, we could have one of the best offenses in the league, production-wise. But let’s not be naive and confuse correlation with any degree of causation.

FACT: We have 3 stud receivers
      FACT: We have talent at TE that is commensurate, at worst, with what is typical for us in the post-Shockey epoch of Giants football
      FACT: We have a dynamic RB, the likes of which we haven’t seen in AGES.
      FACT: We have a work horse-style RB who is as adept at interior running as he is deceptive on the outside.
      FACT: None of the above has a damn thing to do with the BEST possible scenario about this offensive line. In fact, let’s create a whole new fact…
      FACT: This offense would be better if our OL was better.

These things are immutable facts, as far as I can see it. I think our offensive skill players (and QB) are good enough to overcome the disadvantage created by what looks to be the starting offensive line in 2013. Again, your opinion of Pugh, Brewer, Mosley and Herrman has factors in enormously when you gauge your prospects of this group moving forward. To that end, I happen to think that at least 2 of those guys will be solid starters for us in 2014, and will represent an enormous improvement over whomever they unseat. But I just don’t think it’s reasonable to assess the group, as currently constituted, as anything other than “barely-possibly-average.” And if that’s how you feel about it, I don’t care how many points we score–it will probably be less than what we could have scored if this group were better.

It’s called the salary cap.

And there’s plenty of future promise developing on that line. The Giants will continue to occasionally draft a lineman high but more generally bring in decent athletes to train under Flaherty and any successor. They are allocating only so many dollars and that number comes down as Snee retires and they decide what to do with Baas (whom I predict will have a fine season if he can stay healthy).

•  GmenMania says:

And they could have more space under that salary cap if Snee and Baas didn’t both have huge contracts in exchange for mediocre-at-best play.

•  kujo says:

You don’t cut 40% of your OL without having suitable replacements on the roster. We don’t have that for Baas and Snee, at least not ones who will be ready for Week One in 2013. So temper your criticism with a bit of reality.

•  GmenMania says:

I’m not saying that they should be cut, and I think it would be a bad decision to do so.

I’m saying that we already have poured significant resources into the offensive line in the form of large contracts and early draft picks, and haven’t gotten much in return. I don’t think that the offensive line is playing up to its supposed “potential” based on how much has been invested in it.

•  kujo says:

Disagree that we haven’t gotten much out of our recent string of significant draft picks. Beatty was a 2nd round pick and he’s a stud; Pugh will be a starter somewhere on this line by the end of this season; and I happen to think that one of Brewer and Mosley will succeed Snee after this year. That’s a 60% change over in 4 years (2 if you don’t factor Beatty in). That’s success.

•  GmenMania says:

I think you’re perhaps misunderstanding me, or I may not have done as good a job of articulating my point.

I’m not saying we haven’t gotten anything out of the draft picks. What I’m saying is, that given the level of investment into this O-line via free agency in the draft, it is not nearly as good as it should be. This has nothing to do with individual players, or how Pugh will turn out (way too early to tell, but I think he’ll end up a solid if unspectacular starter). It simply has to do with the fact that the O-line has, by most standards, underachieved.

•  kujo says:

Hey, I get the salary thing. And you know that I’ve typically been opposed to allocating big chunks of it to signing free agent offensive linemen, instead wishing we’d make the precise sort of top-120 investments in high-probability draftees like Beatty in 2009 and Pugh, Brewer and Mosley in the last 2 seasons. So we’re probably cool in 2014 and beyond. But this year…man, I just don’t see it.

One thing that I absolutely hate is when some around here won’t acknowledge their errors, it makes them look small.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Or when some of us are so right about certain players. ( see, Burfict, Vontaze)

DEMO! WHERE YOU AT BRAAHHHH!??? !!

•  GmenMania says:

To whom are you referring? Because I certainly remember a certain someone parading Ojomo as the next great Giants defensive end and hailing him as a future star for this team while he most likely won’t even make the team (and if he does, he probably won’t get any snaps).

•  GmenMania says:

Also, do note that I like Ojomo a lot, but believe he won’t end up on the roster simply because he’s not as good as Moore, Kiwi, etc.

Never said “next great Giants end”. Said I thought he was a natural pass rusher and belonged on the team. He WAS on the roster last year. I noted earlier today that he might not make the roster but not because he isn’t good enough but rather because of Moore’s play and the possibility of carrying five DTs. I also said he can play in this league and may be a future star.

I’d find a way to “stash” him this year and anticipate his succeeding Tuck or Kiwi over the next few seasons.

So I haven’t changed my mind a bit and if he doesn’t make the roster it will be for plenty of reasons but NOT because those players you noted are “better”. And anyone who accuses me of failure to acknowledge mistakes is dead wrong.

•  GmenMania says:

Moore and Kiwi ARE better, and by a significant margin. That’s not even mentioning Tuck and JPP, who are both exponentially better than Ojomo. I strongly disagree that Ojomo will be a future star, and think you will prove to be wrong on this one.

I didn’t see your post earlier about Ojomo possibly not making the roster, so I do allow that you acknowledged that he might not.

Never claimed any of our four primary DEs were not better. I said Moore’s play had put Ojomo in real jeopardy and that Tracy might wind up at SAM if Rivers and Curry can’t cut it but otherwise he might be in trouble too because JPP, Tuck, Kiwi and Moore are the DEs and we may not carry a fifth because we carry five tackles.

But I do think Ojomo could, under the right circumstances, turn into a star IF he has the mentality.

•  kujo says:

Man, could that last paragraph be filled with more contingencies and vague/non-descript language?

Dan I respect your opinion but if Painter is the #2 QB on this team it’s a waste of the roster spot. He’s not good enough to win us games if Eli is hurt. Maybe Carr isn’t and more. Maybe Nassib isn’t ready yet but I feel better any day of the week with either playing over Painter. Painter just lacks NFL QB tools that become glaring when he has to play against NFL starters. If Carr can’t beat him out then Nassib needs to be the backup.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I have as much confidence in Painter winning us games as I do Carr winning us games. That confidence is somewhat right above none.

Both these guys suck.

But i’d give it to Carr over Painter since he knows the system.

Carr has NFL QB talent. He has an arm and athletic ability. Painter is none of that.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Carr HAD NFL QB Talent. He’s one of those guys who just couldn’t cut it at the next level.

He’s terrible.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

When did I say he was the No. 2 or good enough to win the Giants games? I said absolutely nothing of the sort.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Because I said he looked solid in the first preseason game of the season in comparison doesn’t mean I am pegging him for the 53-man. I simply mean exactly what I said: In live game No. 1 he looked better than his competition.

I believe The Star-Ledger also said “Painter looked solid.”